Why become a member? ×

Upgrading CS Jazz

bubinga5

Im uprgrading my 1970 Jazz CS.... i dont want to take anything away from the character of the bass, i just want to enhance it.the stock pups leave me a bit cold....have been talking to Mark at Bass Direct, and he gave me some ideas about this...

Im going to see him tomorrow and talk about putting in some Nordstrand NJ4SE pups and Creative Audio Redeemer circuit in the bass..Now this is an active circuit but it wont colour the sound at all, just enhance what is already there..Cant wait to hear what it sounds like..

Also there is NO routing (as i would NEVER do this)..it just pops straight under the control plate

and i can always put the original stuff back..

Anyone installed either of these in there jazz....

Edited by bubinga5

I don't know if I would do it personally. That bass is/will be pretty collectable and broken solder joints will possibly devalue it in the future.

Could you not get the sound out of an outboard preamp perhaps?

That would be my preferred solution but I understand if you go down the route you are planning.

Steve

[quote name='Sibob' post='590032' date='Sep 4 2009, 07:02 PM']I'm not sure CS's are going to be collectable?! Even now they lose value!

Anyway, still a great bass no doubt!
Why not try the nordstrands on their own, and if you're really not happy with a passive sound, whack the pre in

Si[/quote]Well its a Limited Edition closet classic..only 100 made..not sure if this makes it more collectable..

Yeah that may be the right move Sibob..Im gona have a good chat with Mark and talk about..im not going to do anything to hastey..

[quote name='bubinga5' post='590030' date='Sep 4 2009, 07:00 PM']Well no Birdy, because an out board preamp will just do what my amp does. thats all a preamp does... i will just have more confusing amp EQ..

It will be done by a pro i know, so will be very neat..[/quote]

I heard people mention this. I'd say an out board pre amp pedal is a really good idea plus can use them for DI and other features they have.

Just my 2 penneth :)

Beauty of a bass....keep it as it is and get a preamp pedal. Some of those pedals do a lot more/different things to an amp.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='bubinga5' post='590030' date='Sep 4 2009, 07:00 PM']Well no Birdy, because an out board preamp will just do what my amp does. thats all a preamp does... i will just have more confusing amp EQ..

It will be done by a pro i know, so will be very neat..[/quote]

Fair enough but in the eyes of a 'collector' very neat is not a good as unspoilt :)

As you say it is one of a 100 so it will be collectable - I used to own the bass so know how good it sounds as is!!!

[quote name='birdy' post='590050' date='Sep 4 2009, 07:18 PM']Fair enough but in the eyes of a 'collector' very neat is not a good as unspoilt :rolleyes:

As you say it is one of a 100 so it will be collectable - I used to own the bass so know how good it sounds as is!!![/quote]
Ha ha sorry of course you owned it.....Am i MAD? well i havent done it yet..i may just try the nordy''s..i really dont think the stocks do the bass justice....im one of those who likes a jazz bass left alone, but im not changing the character of the vintage car just putting new tyres on it.. :)

Edited by bubinga5

I'd put it back in its case for a month, then take it out and see what you think when you've had a bit of distance. I've chopped and changed a lot and then ended up back where I started. I've also had a break from basses the tone of which I wasn't too pleased with, then been blown away a few months later. Just an idea, but maybe save the money for now and see how you feel after a short hiatus. If however, you're not happy if you're not spending money (I'm a big offender), then go ahead - you shouldn't really go too far wrong with Nordys and, personally, I'd risk the solder breaks

[quote name='molan' post='590229' date='Sep 4 2009, 11:00 PM']I put some Nordy pickups in my Roscoe - hated them!

Antiseptic sounding and lacking any character, the original fitment Barts were way nicer.[/quote]I love Bartolini's Barry.. such a smooth punch to them,,of course this depends on the bass..in the Sei they are superb..but the Nords in the Lakland were equal...

[quote name='lozbass' post='590064' date='Sep 4 2009, 07:38 PM']I'd put it back in its case for a month, then take it out and see what you think when you've had a bit of distance. I've chopped and changed a lot and then ended up back where I started. I've also had a break from basses the tone of which I wasn't too pleased with, then been blown away a few months later. Just an idea, but maybe save the money for now and see how you feel after a short hiatus. If however, you're not happy if you're not spending money (I'm a big offender), then go ahead - you shouldn't really go too far wrong with Nordys and, personally, I'd risk the solder breaks[/quote]

That's probably very good advice.

The Nordy I put in my Sterling was immense!

Just out of interest how do you know for sure that changing the pups will improve the tone of the bass? It's all hypothetical/debatable but surely what you are hearing is the inherent tone of the bass and the pups are simply amplifying that; I wouldn't have thought the pups on a bass like a CS Ltd Ed CC would have been shabby. If you don't like the sound you are hearing it could equally be some other aspect of the bass... Yes/No?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='591453' date='Sep 6 2009, 03:12 PM']Just out of interest how do you know for sure that changing the pups will improve the tone of the bass? It's all hypothetical/debatable but surely what you are hearing is the inherent tone of the bass and the pups are simply amplifying that; I wouldn't have thought the pups on a bass like a CS Ltd Ed CC would have been shabby. If you don't like the sound you are hearing it could equally be some other aspect of the bass... Yes/No?[/quote]
Yes ..IMO.. the Nordy's are a way better pickup, and they are split coil, so Zero hum.....The instrument can perform way better, it just need a better microphone...It's all hypothetical/debatable but

quote..surely what you are hearing is the inherent tone of the bass and the pups are simply amplifying that;...quote

yes thats true but how well are they doing the job