Why become a member? ×

Best and Worst Bass Shops

bassatnight

[quote name='TDM' timestamp='1266098276' post='744354']
Best: Electro Music in Doncaster

Worst: Wizard Guitars, Sheffield - I have nothing good to say at all about these guys.
[/quote]

I agree, Electro has always been really good for customer service, even if their stock has dwindled quite a lot. As for Wizard, the markup in there is ridiculous and always put me off trying anything out. I've been in twice for last minute strings and picks, and it's 15 minutes walk from my house.

Try Real Time music on Broadfield Rd, Sheffield if you can. Only been in once knowing exactly what I wanted but they have a good selection and the staff were helpful.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1263059623' post='706822']
Not really a Bass shop, Soundpad in Barnstaple (n.devon). very off the beaten. Quite competitive on price, used to have a rep for being expensive.
Very good so far - but I'll tell you if they fall down if the replacement battery compartment box, for my Ibby, doesn't turn up in the next 10 days! Fingers crossed

Used Gear4Music a couple of times and had good experiences, so far.

Never really had the cash to buy loads of gear so never really had an awful experience so far.
[/quote]

Ide have to say soundpad are fairly good on price, but not good on repairs. I took a bass there a few years ago to get the dodgy pre amp fixed and it took them 2 weeks and a phone call from me asking whats going on to here they couldn't diagnose the problem. Took it to mansons the day after getting it back and the same day it was sorted!

Hmm not so impressed with DV247 now having found out that one item isn't due to be delivered until middle of July now :-( No mention of that when I ordered and I got the impression that it was in stock. Going to cancel and order from Thomann instead.

Best: The former Sound Control in Leicester was very good, though you could see the place gradually dying as the Rickenbackers disappeared and the Gibsons turned into Epiphones. By the end it was cheap Chinese no-name clones and an Ashdown Blue at best. Good people, but a victim of the internet.

Worst: I went into Sounds Live in Newcastle on the vague hunt for a Rick. I got hold of the thing, only to have it pulled from my hand by a guy accusing me of wasting his time, because the best way to sell a £1800 guitar is to shout at the customer, obviously. I didn't even get to plug it in.

• 4 weeks later...

As I'm discovering Thomman are great for buying from and worse than useless if you want to return/exchange an item. I'm currently engaged in a seemingly endless round of emails from different employees, none of whom seem to communicate with eachother. It really is doing my head in. I don't think I'll bother with them again.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1339087063' post='1683477']
PMT Northampton are definitely the worst. They try to sell you damaged gear that you don't even like in the first place, while telling you that your favoured brands are crap :lol: and their staff are quite happy to make up cock and bull stories to try and look cool
[/quote]

And there was me thinking they just did that in the Southend store!

Best "physical" shops - Andertons in Guildford: Friendly, knowledgeable staff who will work hard to find the right bit of kit for you. GAK in Brighton: masses of stock, if you can go at a quiet time you can try things out to your heart's content. Rockability in Haywards Heath: tiny second-hand guitar store, friendly and some major bargains to be had at times.

Worst: American Guitar Centre in Tonbridge. Rude and unhelpful, lovely stuff though. Denmark Street: not what it used to be.

I don't have much experience of shopping on-line. Suffice to say though after trying Thomann twice, I won't be using them again. Their customer service for after-sales issues is rude, unhelpful and s-l-o-w.

I've realised my mistake and probably will use them again - already got my eyes on the EBS Multi-comp - they're way cheaper than anywhere else. She said they receive upwards of 4000 emails a week so it's no wonder they're slow to answer. I didn't realise they had phone lines dedicated solely to UK customers. Thanks.

+1 for the Guys at PMT manchester-great service and they are always open for giving a bit of discount-always a pleasurable experience -even when I'm not buying.
and I've tried a few shops in and around Manchester/Bolton/Bury.
On the down side I've less than Pleasurable experiences at HW Audio in Bolton,B@s%t*£ stripped the threads on my truss rod of my Squier P Bass and then had the gall to offer to sell me another bass at cost just to put the neck on my Bass,adding that you should be able to shift the body on fleabay no bother.
i ended up getting our local trading standards involved and threatening legal action before they did anything-surprise surprise within 24hrs the bass was back together,and back in my possesion.Never going back there again-even if they offered me a Sandy at cost. :angry: Stuff 'em.
LB

[quote name='LeftyBiskit' timestamp='1341945482' post='1726850']
+1 for the Guys at PMT manchester-great service and they are always open for giving a bit of discount-always a pleasurable experience -even when I'm not buying.
[/quote]

Good to know there is a PMT store with good customer srervice :)

Been to the Birmingham one for a look around, some great stuff! But didn't speak to any staff, anyone know what they're like?

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1341968943' post='1727306']
Good to know there is a PMT store with good customer srervice :)

Been to the Birmingham one for a look around, some great stuff! But didn't speak to any staff, anyone know what they're like?
[/quote]

I've been in quite a few times, bought reasonable amounts of stuff from them. Helpful staff - I've known Garry from when Musical Exchanges was in Broad Street before the fire (when I was still at school) and he's always been helpful.

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1341927327' post='1726321']
<snip>

Worst: American Guitar Centre in Tonbridge. Rude and unhelpful, lovely stuff though. Denmark Street: not what it used to be.
[/quote]

I've had a good recent experience with BassWorld/AGC. I live nearby and went in there to try out some of their Laklands & Fenders. Ended up ordering a USA Precision from them, which they price matched with all the usual online retailers and setup for me with some new flats I supplied (which hadn't bought from them). The bloke in there was a little 'awkward' to talk to but was deffo more a case of geeky/nervous than being arsey...

I think they changed hands a year or two ago so maybe the new owners are a little bit more on the ball. Some lovely stuff in there as you said - Alembics, Laklands, Vintage Fenders etc.

[quote name='simonc61' timestamp='1341913053' post='1725917']
As I'm discovering Thomman are great for buying from and worse than useless if you want to return/exchange an item. I'm currently engaged in a seemingly endless round of emails from different employees, none of whom seem to communicate with eachother. It really is doing my head in. I don't think I'll bother with them again.
[/quote]

Surprised by this. I've had few minor issues which they dealt with very fast and without question. I order a fair bit of lighting kit from them.
Dave

[quote name='mickster' timestamp='1342007932' post='1727866']
I've had a good recent experience with BassWorld/AGC. I live nearby and went in there to try out some of their Laklands & Fenders. Ended up ordering a USA Precision from them, which they price matched with all the usual online retailers and setup for me with some new flats I supplied (which hadn't bought from them). The bloke in there was a little 'awkward' to talk to but was deffo more a case of geeky/nervous than being arsey...

I think they changed hands a year or two ago so maybe the new owners are a little bit more on the ball. Some lovely stuff in there as you said - Alembics, Laklands, Vintage Fenders etc.
[/quote]

That's good to know. I'm local too, but haven't been in there in over 3 years. I'll give them a try again on your recommendation.

Cheers

Great shops:
Promenade Music in Morecambe - let me try out stuff with help and space to let me doodle away. No pressure and even had a cup of tea proffered - which I gratefully accepted. Gary is a top man. I bought my Classic J Overwater by Tanglewood after trying out several other basses at the same time.
Recent great experience with Mark at Bass Direct. I had a faulty pedal which he swapped out for me.

Online - I have found Thomann to be fine, and have bought stuff also from iMuso.

I haven't been round the blocks much so cannot report much bad service.

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1341927327' post='1726321']
Best "physical" shops - Andertons in Guildford: Friendly, knowledgeable staff who will work hard to find the right bit of kit for you. GAK in Brighton: masses of stock, if you can go at a quiet time you can try things out to your heart's content. Rockability in Haywards Heath: tiny second-hand guitar store, friendly and some major bargains to be had at times.

I don't have much experience of shopping on-line. Suffice to say though after trying Thomann twice, I won't be using them again. Their customer service for after-sales issues is rude, unhelpful and s-l-o-w.
[/quote]

Sorry to disagree but I am surprised Rockability are still in business. The setups I've had them do have taken ages and been hopeless, their excuse being 'there was nothing that needed doing' when there clearly was. I've also gone in, waited and been ignored so I've left. No excuse for rudeness and ignorance. No credit cards accepted but they sell instruments and amps for over £500. I think they stumble along because of their rehearsal space and music lessons for kids. Won't be sad when they are gone. On the other hand Carousel music in HH are a superb establishment and Jon their guitar tech is an absolute genius.

Agree with everything else you say though. I think we're all glad the Bass cellar in Denmark St has finally gone. They told me once I couldn't try a Rickenbacker unless I bought it. I've had good stuff from Thomann too but they are too big for a good personal service.

[quote name='groovebuster' timestamp='1342186551' post='1731129']
best.. america, worst... uk. is there nowhere on this god forsaken rock i can try out a stingray classic? how bout a 62 p bass? has any 1 here ever seen a 75 jazz bass on a shelf. i doubt it! every shop full of useless cheapo tat. uk sucks.
[/quote]
Do you want to repeat that? I didn't hear you from under that bridge...

[quote name='groovebuster' timestamp='1342186551' post='1731129']
best.. america, worst... uk. is there nowhere on this god forsaken rock i can try out a stingray classic? how bout a 62 p bass? has any 1 here ever seen a 75 jazz bass on a shelf. i doubt it! every shop full of useless cheapo tat. uk sucks.
[/quote]
Do you want to repeat that? I didn't hear you from under that bridge...