Why become a member? ×

5-string all in one?

erisu

Hey guys!

I have a question about 5-string basses that popped into my head a few mins ago which I can't seem to find the answer to... For those who have 4-string basses and 5-string basses...

If you can play alternative tunings with a 5-string bass in standard (Im always hearing if you play drop C#, you should use a 5-string), then why bother owning a 4-string bass when the 5-string bass can playing in 3 tunings without turning the machineheads?

Like in my band, we play standard tuning, drop D and drop C# (maybe even drop B in future) and if I just change the notes around using a 5-string bass for songs I've written already with a 4-string bass say in... drop C#, then I can play these 3 tunings by just simply keeping my 5-string bass in standard tuning.

Do people own a 4-string bass as well just for the sake of it? Or just for the reason of not having the Low B string in the way when you want to play standard with the other 4-strings?

Discuss :)

IMV, it is a major conversion from 4 to 5 as the string spacing at both ends can be issues...

Therefore everything I do is on the 5 and I don't own any 4's,,

I hear everything in terms of a 5 as well...so no point going back and forth even if I wanted to

I prefer the 4-string in general for speed and playability. Personally, I never change tunings, as I mainly want to know by touch where notes are - Preferably in the same place every time! I'll use a 5 or a 6 (in standard tuning again) if I need the extended bottom end range or if I'm playing with a lot of wind players in silly keys, as it's often easier to work acrossways on a six-stringer than leaping up and down the fingerboard.

I think your post answers the question.

It seems to me that people who play 4's just prefer 4's. They don’t need any more strings, they don't want wider necks and they think that changing up will be a problem that they don't want or need to deal with. People who play 5's prefer the flexibility. Each choice is personal and valid. 5's are perfect for me now. I own a 4 string bass which I brought first and don’t want to sell even though I might never play it again.

From personal experience i just can't enjoy a bass with more than 4 strings, I've had 5's, 6's and even given an 8 string FBEADGCF tuned bass ago! But i have never been able to get on with them. I agree with your point however, my band has a large majority of songs in Drop C Sharp and a couple in standard, while the guitarists all change guitars or tune up i just sit in C and move my notes up the neck!

[quote name='chris_b' post='582536' date='Aug 27 2009, 03:20 PM']I think your post answers the question.

It seems to me that people who play 4's just prefer 4's. They don’t need any more strings, they don't want wider necks and they think that changing up will be a problem that they don't want or need to deal with. People who play 5's prefer the flexibility. Each choice is personal and valid. 5's are perfect for me now. I own a 4 string bass which I brought first and don’t want to sell even though I might never play it again.[/quote]
Agree 100%.

The only reason for playing on a (standard) 5 string BG is to extend your range lower. If you have no use for those lower notes, stick to a 4 string.
However, if you ever foresee a time when you might get to do some TV sessions / commercial recording sessions / or theatre/concert work, then you will definitely need to have a 5string in your arsenal. If the producer or arranger asks for a bottom C and you can't produce it ..... well you won't be getting that gig again !

The Major

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='582892' date='Aug 27 2009, 08:44 PM']The only reason for playing on a (standard) 5 string BG is to extend your range lower. If you have no use for those lower notes, stick to a 4 string.[/quote]
That's not the only reason at all. It also enables you to play more across the neck, reducing hand shifts. I almost never play below bottom E and could quite happily manage without playing below it at all, but I prefer my 5-string to my 4-string. I play 4-string fretless because I haven't yet got a 5-string fretless that can match the 4-string for playability.

[quote name='tauzero' post='583355' date='Aug 28 2009, 11:06 AM']That's not the only reason at all. It also enables you to play more across the neck, reducing hand shifts. I almost never play below bottom E and could quite happily manage without playing below it at all, but I prefer my 5-string to my 4-string. I play 4-string fretless because I haven't yet got a 5-string fretless that can match the 4-string for playability.[/quote]
Yes of course - you are absolutely right. I suppose I was just pointing out the bleeding obvious - that from the listeners point of view, a 5 string gives more bottom range.
I'm intrigued to know why you "almost never play below bottom E". Used sparingly and musically, those low notes can be very effective, especially when one double stops with the octave above.

I recently tried a second hand Lakland 5 string (a Darryl Jones model I believe) which gave the sweetest bottom notes I have ever heard plus amazing sustain. If only I had the £900 asking price....

The Major

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='583428' date='Aug 28 2009, 12:12 PM']Yes of course - you are absolutely right. I suppose I was just pointing out the bleeding obvious - that from the listeners point of view, a 5 string gives more bottom range.
I'm intrigued to know why you "almost never play below bottom E". Used sparingly and musically, those low notes can be very effective, especially when one double stops with the octave above.[/quote]
Isn't "almost never" the same as "sparingly"? :)

The band I would make most use of the sub-bottom-E range is the ceilidh band, for which I use the 4-string fretless (hence no extended bottom) and an electric upright bass, which until very recently was a 4-string. I've now got a 5-string Ergo upright and I'm going to try to get into the habit of playing from bottom D rather than from D on the A string when we're playing stuff in D (melodeon dictates that we play everything in G, D, Em or Am, and don't ask me why we play in Am but not C and D but not Bm).

I've done the lot over the years.
I think that for certain types of music, some riffs played against a pedalled open C or D sound much better in drop tuning than against a fretted C or D on the 5-string. This is the main reason I'm not playing my 5-string at the moment, even though Delirium play everything in D-tuning or drop-C; I'm doing it all on 4-string basses.

My two-penny-worth.

I started out on 4-String basses (tuned E-A-D-G) and played them quite happily from 1968 to 1993, never felt the need to have any more strings in either higher or lower registers. If the band played in an 'inconvenient' key then I moved my left hand along the neck.

Then in 1993 I had a 'Full-Tilt, In-Yer-Face, Pick-The-Bones-Out-Of-That' Epiphany.

I strolled into PMT Oxford and tried a few Fender Precisions (Fretted, fretless, 4 and 5 string) and wasn't blown away by any of them. Then I tried a Jackson Concert Pro-V five string (tuned B-E-A-D-G) AND THAT WAS IT - I BOUGHT IT THERE AND THEN.

I've tried a couple of 4-Stringers since but I wouldn't go back to one now. My current and only weapon of choice is a 5-String headless Status Stealth II, and I'm happy to admit that I'm 'Totally Addicted To Bass' generally and to the Low B in particular and it suits the bands I work with.

My bottom line - there's no right and no wrong here, if it feels right and it works for you then - go with the flow.

Chris.
(Chezz55)

And to counterpoint the previous post (which is entirely valid, BTW);

I've got my Fretless 'Ray 5 tuned E-A-D-G-C, as I find I have a greater use for the higher registers on a fretless instrument. It also offers better sounding (but not "more") chordal sounds, assuming I can get the intonation right!!

I have the good fortune to have another 5 and a 6 which are tuned B-E-A-D-G and B-E-A-D-G-C respectively for the deep stuff.

Buy what you like, and tune it in the way that suits you/ the music you play with that instrument best. There are no hard and fast rules!

[quote name='tauzero' post='583558' date='Aug 28 2009, 02:05 PM']Isn't "almost never" the same as "sparingly"? :)

The band I would make most use of the sub-bottom-E range is the ceilidh band, for which I use the 4-string fretless (hence no extended bottom) and an electric upright bass, which until very recently was a 4-string. I've now got a 5-string Ergo upright and I'm going to try to get into the habit of playing from bottom D rather than from D on the A string when we're playing stuff in D (melodeon dictates that we play everything in G, D, Em or Am, and don't ask me why we play in Am but not C and D but not Bm).[/quote]
I'm sure we could discuss the semantics of "almost never" and "sparingly' ad naseum but I guess we would send everybody to sleep !

I too occasionally play with a Ceilidh band and, yes, the keys are always restricted to D G Em and Am. I suspect its to do with the fiddle, who in traditional music likes to be able to play lots of open D and A strings. I always try to use my DB for these gigs as the guys prefer the stronger pulse I can get with this instrument. Also it looks a bit more traditional.

Is this Ergo you mention a DB or an EUB ? I'd love to get a 5 string EUB if and when I have the dosh.

The Major

[quote name='arabassist' post='583366' date='Aug 28 2009, 11:13 AM']i wanted to switch to 5, but when it comes to playing i end up staring at an odd number of strings, my orientation gets messed up and i get confused which string im plucking :)

also i prefer thin necks[/quote]

Yeah, takes a while to adapt. However, going back to a 4 string is so easy :rolleyes:

I switched to 5 strings. I use the B string a lot, but mostly above the 5th fret and I use the new notes somewhat sparingly (especially below D). Both my 5ers are Ibanez with their customary slim necks, so I don't feel that I am playing something huge. For me, it really is an all-in-one. I see no point in going back to a 4 string, as those 4 strings are already there, and I feel no discomfort with my 5-string basses.

Making the shift was the best thing I've done. It forced me to think more about my playing, which in turn made me play more carefully and, dare I say, better.

Everybody has their own own reasons for an extended range instrument. For me, it's the option to use lower octaves. I just love low Cs Ds and Bs They shake the room. There are some songs where a D on the 5th fret is not up to the job. I almost exclusively play my 5 or 6 now but will never dump the 4 string because it's the one that's always on a stand in the loungue and gets picked up at least twice a night just for running through stuff that comes into my head or I hear on the telly or whatever.