Why become a member? ×

Tribute Bands

jamiejames

I'm sure this must have been done before but i'm new so forgive me, how many on here play in tribute bands and how do you feel about it, what are the criteria for tribute acts, should you only do it for acts who are no longer with us , ie dead or retired.
just interested in opinions , is it the last refuge for old musos?

I think tribute bands are the future of rock 'n' roll. It is obvious that, as PC gaming etc becomes more popular amongst the kids, us oldies are going to be the only ones interested in rock etc so, gradually, over a period of the next twenty years, it will become like the old music hall stuff and exist only as a nostalgia trip. We will all get dressed up oince a week and go to themed venues like the Granary in Bristol or the Marquee in London and watch tribute bands. We won't need to waste our money on buying new stuff, except teh tribute bands cds and dvds, because we will have had it for years.

It'll be great.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='576738' date='Aug 21 2009, 02:57 PM']I think tribute bands are the future of rock 'n' roll. It is obvious that, as PC gaming etc becomes more popular amongst the kids, us oldies are going to be the only ones interested in rock etc so, gradually, over a period of the next twenty years, it will become like the old music hall stuff and exist only as a nostalgia trip. We will all get dressed up oince a week and go to themed venues like the Granary in Bristol or the Marquee in London and watch tribute bands. We won't need to waste our money on buying new stuff, except teh tribute bands cds and dvds, because we will have had it for years.

It'll be great.[/quote]

but isn't that kind of thing already happening with the rock bands now? A lot of bands just seem to play the festival/nostalgia circuit and no-one seems interested in their new albums, and these are bands that have sold millions.

Hello .........my name's 'Dave'....(gulp) and I play in a tribute band (smattering of applause)

(bloke with ginger beard, elbow patches and 'Hey - I care' T shirt stands up) - 'Thanks for sharing that with us 'Dave' - very brave '

Being a musical prostitute and pariah amongst other musicians I'm only interested in cash. The audience love it but f**k 'em , what do I care. It's a bitch flying to places I've never been before and meeting great people but the money's got to be good or they can f**k off too.
The young bands that support us - sure we pay them a proper fee and look after them but it's only for show. Charity fundraisers - screw the charity as long as my face goes in the paper.
My other band doing our own support ?? Well , I could say that if folk who don't go see pub bands normally enjoy it enough to start going and seeing other pub bands - but really it's just so we don't have to pay any other f**ker and keep all the brass.

Greed - that's why I do it.

[quote name='Rich' post='576832' date='Aug 21 2009, 04:20 PM']Doc, you forgot to add "and I have no imagination or creativity and cannot be arsed to write my own songs".[/quote]
Or that those who do play originals are crusty cheese infested goons with odd socks who moan and bitch in a dirty pub on a cheap acoustic about how bad working in the cotton fields of Park Royal can be in the rain and having to live in a tin shack with rats and roaches in north Acton ..

Tribute musos are money-obsessed wh*res, covers musos don't have the chops to be tribute musos and originals musos are talentless plagiarists.

Solo bass performers are delusional egotists and people who join bands are too scared to go out at nights on their own. Guitarists are volume-obsessed retards, singers are the spawn of Satan, drummers are all thick and keys players are too bland to bother to offend.

Promoters are slack-assed parasites and soundmen are cloth-eared hacks. Audiences are all morons, especially those comprised exclusively of musos.

Music shops are staffed by surly old men and shredding youths.

Does that cover everyone? :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='576738' date='Aug 21 2009, 02:57 PM']I think tribute bands are the future of rock 'n' roll. It is obvious that, as PC gaming etc becomes more popular amongst the kids, us oldies are going to be the only ones interested in rock etc so, gradually, over a period of the next twenty years, it will become like the old music hall stuff and exist only as a nostalgia trip. We will all get dressed up oince a week and go to themed venues like the Granary in Bristol or the Marquee in London and watch tribute bands. We won't need to waste our money on buying new stuff, except teh tribute bands cds and dvds, because we will have had it for years.

It'll be great.[/quote]

not true im more into rock music than call of duty 4 or whatever

[quote name='silddx' post='576755' date='Aug 21 2009, 03:11 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40336&hl=tribute"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=tribute[/url]

Have a look at this and you'll see how big that can is :)[/quote]
ok , just waded through that lot.
I'll get me coat
(I know thats not an original line but never mind eh)

As has been mentioned, this one has been [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40336"]done before in this hot, wet love-in[/url], and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=55959"]here too[/url]. There's a night's worth of reading there for ya. :)