Why become a member? ×

Slightly peeved about Gallery workshop prices

Sibob

[quote name='Golchen' post='575159' date='Aug 20 2009, 09:48 AM']I have no objection to anyone charging what they like for any given job, it's then up to the punter as to whether they want to bite. However, I think that it's pretty poor to stick the wrong prices on the web. If you are using the internet for any kind of sales then I really think that you should keep stuff like that up to date, it's not like it needs changing every day, and you could always just put 'call for prices'.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='davidmpires' post='575226' date='Aug 20 2009, 10:34 AM']I'd wait for Alex's input.[/quote]

+ of course :)

Si

August 2007 I got a popular Sheffield-based luthier to route an additional MM pickup into my Precision for £45 (I supplied hardware and it was part of other work at the time). I don't think the price the Gallery has quoted you is too bad with London weighting.

Edited by peted

[quote name='Sibob' post='574653' date='Aug 19 2009, 08:07 PM']So I call up the gallery to get a price for the routing of a Jazz pickup into my Precision bass, it goes something, although not word-for-word like this:

Me: So I'm interested in [what I've explained above], I notice that on the website it says from £30...
Gallery: [politely cuts me off] ah well a jazz pickup rout will probably be more like £70-£80
Me: Oh right....so If I supply the pickup, knob and pot would you be able to put it all together for me?
Gallery: Your talking about £100-£110 for all that
Me: ok thanks!

Now I understand that they've covered themselves by saying "From £30" on the website, but what are they routing for that amount of money?.....1/3 of a Jazz pickup?. I can understand if someone phoned up and wanted three darkstars put in, thats a lot of work....but one jazz pickup?. It's basically double what I thought the whole process might cost.

I THEN asked about a refret for my 1973 jazz, I wanted to ask about binding:
Me: I see that a bound refret is £130.... (and it doesn't say "from" this time)
Gallery: Is it rosewood or maple?
Me: Rosewood
Gallery: Yeah your talking £180-£200 for that
Me: Uh-huh, and does that retain the original binding?
Gallery: Yes it would do

I'm no luthier, but an extra £70 because (and this is down to real basic deduction, please tell me otherwise) it's a rosewood fingerboard as opposed to maple??

I know people are gonna say they're justified because they're the best....just think their website could perhaps have some better indications/examples of prices!

Si[/quote]

As indeed stated the prices are 'from' the work involved routing a pickup through the body and also in the scratchplate does involve a fair bit of time and expertise, supplying the pickup etc cuts the cost, but wiring everything up again, is quite time consuming, routing and wiring a bass we think £100 is a very reasonable price.

With regards the refret again indeed if the fingerboard was unbound the price would £130, it is just a little more involve with binding.

We are also in the process of having a new website launched where there will be a more extensive and up to date price list.

I have updated the old website prices
alex

Edited by thegallery

[quote name='thegallery' post='575688' date='Aug 20 2009, 03:48 PM']As indeed stated the prices are 'from' the work involved routing a pickup through the body and also in the scratchplate does involve a fair bit of time and expertise, supplying the pickup etc cuts the cost, but wiring everything up again, is quite time consuming, routing and wiring a bass we think £100 is a very reasonable price.

With regards the refret again indeed if the fingerboard was unbound the price would £130, it is just a little more involve with binding.

We are also in the process of having a new website launched where there will be a more extensive and up to date price list.

alex[/quote]

I would say the gallery prices are good for what you want doing - especially as you know you aren't going to get a botched job... The Sei guys are amongst the best in the business - you aren't going to get an on the piss pickup route. Of course, like anything, if you don't like the prices, you are free to go else where.

But then again, it isn't without good reason that the Gallery has a great reputation.

Edited by EBS_freak

Thanks everyone for their input, I'll state again that my initial 'peeve' wasn't with the prices themselves, more the mis-representation of them on the website at the time.
The gallery have a great reputation, put out some amazing work, and of course the jobs involved are highly skilled. To be honest, now Alex has updated the website....this whole thread as probably been quite positive! :)

Cool
Si

[quote name='thegallery' post='575688' date='Aug 20 2009, 03:48 PM']As indeed stated the prices are 'from' the work involved routing a pickup through the body and also in the scratchplate does involve a fair bit of time and expertise, supplying the pickup etc cuts the cost, but wiring everything up again, is quite time consuming, routing and wiring a bass we think £100 is a very reasonable price.

alex[/quote]
I don't think that's unreasonable. Take your Land Rover into a main dealer for a service and you'll be paying £120/hour labour charges.

having messed around routing holes in wood for things before, I would not say 100 is that much when you take skilled labourers time into account.
Also don't forget the best guys around will treat it like an instrument and take care of it rather than just a lump of wood i want a hole in...

If I can go slightly against the grain here, I would have preferred it if either of the setups the Gallery did for me didn't require me to have to tweak things afterwards quite a lot. I explained beforehand that I play quite hard, pick-style and each time (two different basses) the action came back super-low and buzzing like crazy if you didn't use a feather finger-style touch :) I should have said something but I felt a bit overawed as they seemed so busy.

Its one of the reasons I eventually taught myself how to adjust truss rods and bridges to set up a bass properly

[quote name='Clarky' post='576449' date='Aug 21 2009, 10:32 AM']...I explained beforehand that I play quite hard, pick-style and each time...the action came back super-low and buzzing like crazy if you didn't use a feather finger-style touch :) I should have said something but I felt a bit overawed as they seemed so busy.[/quote]

This exact thing happened to me too and again I didn't say anything there and then as I was happy to tweak things later on...
The J p'up install work was flawless though....Will still think twice next time unfortunately.

"For the 3rd and final time" lol, [quote]I'll state again that my initial 'peeve' wasn't with the prices themselves, more the mis-representation of them on the website at the time[/quote]

I'm not sure a Land Rover comparison is also a fair example, Bass Guitars have relevance in a city context.....Land Rovers don't :)

Si