Why become a member? ×

Unused fingers, and what to do with them

DaveMuadDib

I've recently converted from pick to fingerstyle, and it's frustrating, but I'm getting there!

I'm aiming to use two fingers wherever possible, and I've been rooting my thumb against the bridge pickup or the nearest string. But I've found my ring and pinky finger flailing about wildly. What the heck should I do with them? Should I tuck them up (this feels kinda uncomfortable) or anchor them somewhere?

Also, how do I make sure I'm keeping my wrist in a nice natural angle so as to avoid RSI kinda stuff? And wrist floating or pressed against the body?

I understand there are no absolutes, but I'm looking for guidance before I develop any horrible habits at this stage!

-Dave

Edited by Dave_MuadDib

I play with two, but have been trying desperately to play with three.

I have tended to tape the fourth and third fingers together. It's the knuckle of the pinky I'm missing, so the tape help stops if flap.

Probably not everybody's cup of tea mind! Works for me, but I had to escape a car crash to make it work :)

When I first started, I never used to place thumb on any pickup.
I used to gently lean the side of my hand in the centre of the bass between the pickups.
Now I always put thumb on a pickup.

Regarding tthe 'other fingers 'on the right hand,I suppose you could gently rest them on pickup.
You could try different techniques if you get restless(like rolling/flamenco).
This depends on the style you play.
Also,you could try playing simple songs using each finger from index-pinkey one at a time.

Failing that, you could just carry n picking or use the thumb for slap...

I have noticed a disturbing tendoncy ( gettit?) for some basses to have a bit of wood taped in betwen the pickups effectively filling the gap completely - it has a name but it completely escapes me at the moment (too much hash when i was younger :) but lets not go there again!)

Is it called a ramp?

what's the deal with that. then?

BB

[quote name='sdgrsr400' post='573515' date='Aug 18 2009, 09:34 PM']Dave Marks has the answer: [url="http://www.davemarks.com/"]http://www.davemarks.com/[/url] menu YouTube -> Bad Habits for Bass - watch all of these.[/quote]

Plus one [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGZikYZsyNc&feature=channel"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGZikYZsyNc...feature=channel[/url]

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='573529' date='Aug 18 2009, 09:48 PM']I have noticed a disturbing tendoncy ( gettit?) for some basses to have a bit of wood taped in betwen the pickups effectively filling the gap completely - it has a name but it completely escapes me at the moment (too much hash when i was younger :) but lets not go there again!)

Is it called a ramp?

what's the deal with that. then?

BB[/quote]

Apparently, it's a bit like playing on the neck with your fingers. They bounce off the wood, which stops you "digging in" too hard, and allows you to play faster/without "clacky" noises from stretching your strings too far/and so on........... :rolleyes:

having just played something and watched myself i let them hang.

within 6 months of starting playing I had a good two fingered technique going on. Then i almost chopped the end of my first finger off in a metal workshop. For a few weeks it had a big plaster on the end. I then had to play using 2nd and 3rd fingers. When the bandage came off I could use all 3.

Its got to the point where I don't ever think about my right hand technique (except checking im not doing something stupid like having the wrist bent)

I have a unorthodox technique I think. I hit the strings pretty hard and the plucking finger is stopped by my thumb on either the pup or the string above I'm playing. That way the whole hand moves up and down. I can mute unplayed strings with either the thumb or 4th finger. I have a feeling i also sometimes pluck with the 4th finger too.
Moving my whole hand is a little strange, ive never seen anyone else do it the same way, but it does give me more control which i need as im left handed so my right plucking hand I have less control over.

Plus it is kinda cool having a bass with heavy strings and a high action that no one else can play! :)

[quote name='Golchen' post='573796' date='Aug 19 2009, 09:01 AM']I've just realised that I have no idea which fingers I use on my plucking hand, and what the others are doing on their time-off! I'll have to play infront of the mirror when I get home tonight.[/quote]

what you do in your own time is your business

play a lot and dont worry about the odd fingers unused
eventually you will find they will tuck themselves in and start to stray onto the strings to do their part
although i dont use the pinkie it is always there sort of caressing the same string as the third being a sort double pluck
cheers

Years of playing Stingrays and anchoring my thumb on the pickup mean that now that I play a bass with no pickup there I find myself going between lightly holding my thumb against the body and letting everything hover.

I find that my pinky curls up and the finger next to it kind of mimics my middle finger without actually touching a string

I have a picture somewhere in mid gig where it looks like I'm playing an octave and it looks like I'm giving someone the 'bird'. I'm not, its just where that fingure goes