Why become a member? ×

Dirty sounding valve amp?

umcoo

That SVT 2 isn't far from me at all. About half an hours drive. Isn't too bad a price either, although it'll take a couple of months for me to save up for it. I was thinking of more low wattage amps that I can crank to get a driven sound, kinda 100-200 watts.

[quote name='umcoo' post='570676' date='Aug 16 2009, 02:53 PM']Also, I thought Sound Citys were well know for clean sounds. I've got a Pork Loin and a Big Muff to dirty things up, but I want a slightly gritty sound just from an amp, and the pedals to add some more drive.[/quote]

Depends how far you turn them up. Plus they are a familiar layout that you can mod to taste.

[quote name='umcoo' post='570698' date='Aug 16 2009, 03:22 PM']Sudgens just went for £800[/quote]

I knew it'd go eventually. Esp considering now they retail for £1300....luckily I got mine just before the price-rise...and the shop was rather frustrated when they realised I already had a written quote from them and they had to honour it.

I've barely used mine properly yet. Ive just flightcased it so it always in that...one of those 'live in' type cases. I want to keep it as mint as possible. Only downside is it weighs so much in a case, but you just CANNOT get the same effect from a solid state/hybrid. It comes close, but it doesnt feel right or seem half as powerful.

Keep gassin! One will come up....then that Pinkerton bass tone is yours :)

Worth a look.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57333"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=57333[/url]

Pinky used to belong to me - tons of bottom and pretty dirty when wound up :brow:

Steve's a smashing chap - have a word.

Old Laney Supergroup series. 4x EL34s.
It's basically a 70s Marshall knock-off but without the ridiculous prices. Equall nice for guitar or bass.
They come up occasionally. I sold mine to King Tut on here before I had a decent cab, and when I heard it through the cab he bought to test it with, I almost wished I hadn't agreed to sell it!
I believe he is using it as his main gigging amp now.
Jules

[quote name='umcoo' post='570676' date='Aug 16 2009, 02:53 PM']Also, I thought Sound Citys were well know for clean sounds. I've got a Pork Loin and a Big Muff to dirty things up, but I want a slightly gritty sound just from an amp, and the pedals to add some more drive.[/quote]
matamps are known for clean sounds to but do nice distortion when cranked. if you want full on amp distortion at every gig i'd look for something around 50 - 100watts max as apposed to 200 watts as thats gonna be epic loud when cranked

just keep an eye out for something with el34s, no valve rectifier and big transformers.

Traynor do a slightly cheaper alternative to the AD200. I think it's called the YBA200 but if I remember rightly they're a bugger to get hold of. Might be worth looking into though.

Although it has to be said, you get what you pay for with meaty valve amps.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='570913' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:35 PM']Old Laney Supergroup series. 4x EL34s.
It's basically a 70s Marshall knock-off but without the ridiculous prices. Equall nice for guitar or bass.
Jules[/quote]

Not all Marshall valve amps are megabucks - I paid 300 quid for my 100watt Marshall 4150 combo, with a nearly new set of EL34s. There's good deals out there somewhere....

might know where there is a stonking Marshall VBA400 going soonish. i used to have one of these and it was incredible. they crank up dead well and have ssssoooooo much horse power its untrue.

Costs a buck or 2 to replace tubes when they start going though, all 8 6550's!! ARGH hence why i sold mine....

the oranges are wicked, can't comment on the 200b but i owned a 140b for a bit and it sounded awesome when cranked no need for distortion at all! i can only imagine the 200b is the same but louder?

also im using a TE v4 at the mo, while my peg in for repair and that sounds really nice to thru my 610hlf.

and i know someone with a fender bassman 100 which sounds killer!

andy

[quote name='thumbo' post='571100' date='Aug 16 2009, 09:51 PM']Traynor do a slightly cheaper alternative to the AD200. I think it's called the YBA200 but if I remember rightly they're a bugger to get hold of. Might be worth looking into though.

Although it has to be said, you get what you pay for with meaty valve amps.[/quote]

YBA200 is nice, but wouldn't call it a dirt monster, traded up to an Ampeg V4 for that. Its all light and nice, and not really valve growly.

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='571191' date='Aug 16 2009, 11:20 PM']the oranges are wicked, can't comment on the 200b but i owned a 140b for a bit and it sounded awesome when cranked no need for distortion at all! i can only imagine the 200b is the same but louder?

also im using a TE v4 at the mo, while my peg in for repair and that sounds really nice to thru my 610hlf.

and i know someone with a fender bassman 100 which sounds killer!

andy[/quote]
the one you had will be in a completely different league to the new ones, the old matamp ones are completely different amps

[quote name='umph' post='571252' date='Aug 17 2009, 12:06 AM']the one you had will be in a completely different league to the new ones, the old matamp ones are completely different amps[/quote]

ah yes of course mine was hand wired! looked so cool when i looked inside once! and it was number 17 of 17! shame i couldn't afford to keep it.

andy

How dirty can Fender Bassmans get? I've played vegashooker's 135 and it had a wonderful tone, but I can't recall if it was really driven hard. I'm throwing around the idea of a Bassman 70 or 100 and a Barefaced Compact so I can be loud enough for gigs, but get into power amp overdrive pretty easily.

Thanks for all the suggestions already, by the way!

[quote name='umcoo' post='571990' date='Aug 17 2009, 07:41 PM']How dirty can Fender Bassmans get? I've played vegashooker's 135 and it had a wonderful tone, but I can't recall if it was really driven hard. I'm throwing around the idea of a Bassman 70 or 100 and a Barefaced Compact so I can be loud enough for gigs, but get into power amp overdrive pretty easily.

Thanks for all the suggestions already, by the way![/quote]

the bassman gets pretty dirty! and its pretty darn loud! and my mate uses it thru an old fender (i think) 115 cab.

andy