Why become a member? ×

Borrowing basses off folk just to try them

far0n

I must admit, I hate trying basses in music shops. Crap guitar setup with an amp you daren't turn up past 2 without getting snarling glances from the sales guy... you can picture the scene I'm sure. I've always fancied borrowing a bass from fellow bass chatters within the local area for the weekend just to get an idea of what it's really like. Anyone fancy swapping a Musicman Bongo for a Vigier Passion for the weekend ? :)

I would highly recommend the BassChat Bass bashes! A chance to try pretty much any bass on the market (if the owners are ok with, of course) - a day spent with other people passionate about bass and, when it comes to testing out gear - no spotty guitar-only shop staff oiks trying to impart their lack of bass knowledge on you! ;o)

I have Gareth Hughes' Ernie Mcmillen 4 on loan at the minute while he has my Lakland JO ltd ed. It's great having people relatively local to you so you can try out new gear. Love it!

Have to say I'd be more warry (sp?) if I hadn't already dealt with G, but he's a star so no worries!

[quote name='dood' post='569531' date='Aug 14 2009, 09:38 PM']I would highly recommend the BassChat Bass bashes! A chance to try pretty much any bass on the market (if the owners are ok with, of course) - a day spent with other people passionate about bass and, when it comes to testing out gear - no spotty guitar-only shop staff oiks trying to impart their lack of bass knowledge on you! ;o)[/quote]

True althought in my limited experience Clique Central!

Maybe the OP should start a thread. I'd be up for some local bass swappage!

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='570122' date='Aug 15 2009, 06:40 PM']I got a jaydee, warwick$$, and a gibson Tbird if anyone near Blackburn wants to have a swap for a week or 2[/quote]

I'd love to give that T'bird a whirl. Although ive only got a 75RI Jazz! Hmm...

[quote name='molan' post='571603' date='Aug 17 2009, 01:41 PM']He's got my '75 RI Jazz as well, do you think he's stockpiling them :)[/quote]

Don't talk to me about your '75 RI Jazz. I have played it, love it and want it with a passion. It was one of my dream basses. However, I can't afford it and I can't justify having another Jazz bass. I already have a Lakland Darryl Jones as my main bass, an ESP 400 Series Jazz as my backup which is amazing and a Squire VMJ fretless. So the less we say about your '75 RI Jazz the better :rolleyes::):lol:

Of course, I am willing to carry out certain jobs but refuse to work with goat, small children and insects. After that, anything goes :lol:

[quote name='Linus27' post='571685' date='Aug 17 2009, 03:00 PM']Don't talk to me about your '75 RI Jazz. I have played it, love it and want it with a passion. It was one of my dream basses. However, I can't afford it and I can't justify having another Jazz bass. I already have a Lakland Darryl Jones as my main bass, an ESP 400 Series Jazz as my backup which is amazing and a Squire VMJ fretless. So the less we say about your '75 RI Jazz the better :):):rolleyes:

Of course, I am willing to carry out certain jobs but refuse to work with goat, small children and insects. After that, anything goes :lol:[/quote]

That made me smile (and I need all the smile I can get at the moment!).

The '75 really is very nice, I hadn't ever really put it up for sale and will probably hang on to it for a while.

In fact one of the nice things about loaning out basses is that when they come back home it feels like you're getting something new again :lol:

[quote name='molan' post='571712' date='Aug 17 2009, 03:46 PM']That made me smile (and I need all the smile I can get at the moment!).

The '75 really is very nice, I hadn't ever really put it up for sale and will probably hang on to it for a while.

In fact one of the nice things about loaning out basses is that when they come back home it feels like you're getting something new again :)[/quote]

Half of me is smiling knowing that it might not be for sale and the other half is screaming "I WANT THAT BASS" :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

If you want to borrow the T bird I am sure we can sort something out

[quote name='molan' post='571712' date='Aug 17 2009, 03:46 PM']That made me smile (and I need all the smile I can get at the moment!).

In fact one of the nice things about loaning out basses is that when they come back home it feels like you're getting something new again :)[/quote]