Why become a member? ×

Strings

Pete Academy

I must have tried every brand of string over the years, but I can't find any that last. Elixir last a bit longer for me, and I've just tried the new Rotosound Nexus coated, which are actually very good, and don't have the slippery feel of Elixir. They look very cool, too. I like my strings bright and punchy - I hate it when they start to go off. Saying that, I'm a bugger for not wiping them down after a gig, as I'm too busy wanting to get away for the kebab on the way home.

I tend to play quite hard. I can't accept that any uncoated string can last any longer than another, as the dirt in the windings causes them to go off.

Any thoughts on this?

I make no claims to have tried every string in the book, but I find Elites (Stainless Steel) are just fantastic for me. Yes, you might get 1-2 gigs extra out of a set of Elixirs, but that doesn't justify the huge jump in costs.

Oh and a dab of Fast Fret as and when they need it.

Cheers,
James

[quote name='Moos3h' post='563066' date='Aug 7 2009, 09:03 PM']I make no claims to have tried every string in the book, but I find Elites (Stainless Steel) are just fantastic for me. Yes, you might get 1-2 gigs extra out of a set of Elixirs, but that doesn't justify the huge jump in costs.

Cheers,
James[/quote]

Aaarggh...I HATE Fast Fret :)

[quote name='Moos3h' post='563066' date='Aug 7 2009, 09:03 PM']I make no claims to have tried every string in the book, but I find Elites (Stainless Steel) are just fantastic for me. Yes, you might get 1-2 gigs extra out of a set of Elixirs, but that doesn't justify the huge jump in costs.

Cheers,
James[/quote]

I should really use Fast Fret after the gig, but I prefer Fast Food. :)

Change the strings? you mean like when you break them?

Mate, I'd check your nut / bridge for sharp edges. If they're OK then try digging in a little less. Maybe not pop quite so hard. I bought a spare set of strings in '92, but haven't needed them yet.

[/sarcasm]

I buy the cheapest strings I can find, based on the experience that a lot of string manufacturers claims are a load of hot air and on the rare occasion when they do have some claims of merit, they charge players through the nose.

Ebay is my friend. Elderly instruments also do the cheapest La Bella Super Steps I've found on the internet along with quick shipping. Stan who runs the operation is a nice chap as well. I recommend checking them out if you really want to purchase an upmarket or uncommon set.

[url="http://elderly.com/accessories/cats/STBS.html"]http://elderly.com/accessories/cats/STBS.html[/url]

My favourite string changes with the weather but currently I am abusing dead Rotosound SS strings as they give me the best tone. I did have a set of £35 Optima gold strings and then a set of Hartkes but have gone back to the prveious set that I last used in February

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='SteveO' post='563094' date='Aug 7 2009, 09:46 PM']Change the strings? you mean like when you break them?

Mate, I'd check your nut / bridge for sharp edges. If they're OK then try digging in a little less. Maybe not pop quite so hard. I bought a spare set of strings in '92, but haven't needed them yet.

[/sarcasm][/quote]

Haven't broken a string in about 30 years.

What is it you don't like about fast fret Pete?

I've just tried Ernie Ball Regular Slinky over Rotosound Swing Bass s/s which I've used since I was an egg.
Much nicer feel but can't comment on longevity yet.
String prices,I use Strings Direct, seem to have shot up drastically from around £13- £18 for a set of four since I last bought a set.
I'd like to try DR's but I can't afford them!

Edited by lonestar

Yeah I'm well into the DR Low Riders I have on my Kinal. I've used EB Super Slinkys for years, they're nice and punchy for quite a while, but I sweat like a glass blowers arse live and never wipe them down. I get maybe 3 months out of them before they go off. It remains to be seen if the DRs last any longer, but like CK says, they're expensive, and at the end of the day it might be worth changing cheaper strings more often to keep them bright. Like CK I wonder how much cobblers is spoken about strings. One of my favourite string finds of late turned out to be a rebranded version of a budget string, and they were great.

I'm a big fan of D'Addario XL Nickel Wound strings on my Jazz bass. Relatively long lasting (compared to Rotos), bright without being tinny, easy on both fingers and fretboards and the price you can get them on the 'bay, you can get two sets for £30.

That said, I still use dead Rotos on the Precision!

I've been in the same predicament-I've tried loads of different strings in search of a set that last more than one gig. My Ibanez SR500 had Elixirs on it, and I hated those as the coating started wearing off and getting all stringy (and I was playing with my fingers at the time). Tried DR Highbeams and didn't think they lasted any better than anything else. I'm currently on D'Addario XL's and am finding those pretty good-they last more than one gig anyway. The best ones I ever used were Skull Strings, US made with some sort of coating-they lasted really well, but my local joint doesn't sell them any more.

i have noticed if i take off the strings for any work on the bass
they sound brighter for a bit when i put them back on
this leads me to think that coiling and coiling them several times with the application of a string cleaner may help to ease out dirt, sweat and skin cells
string coatings imho are a step forward but i have seen elixirs exhibiting breakdown in the coating on the well rubbed fretted section maybe trapping sweat etc in
boiling i feel is a no way situation with water just dying to corrode the wraps and core
better with an inert light cleaner with lubricating qualities...i havent tried fast fret...but coud asssume meths would do the job
what is generall known as trike
was a favourite for cleaning engine parts when i used to spend my life doing bike engines.
just a thought

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichloroethylene"]TRIKE[/url]

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='lonestar' post='563291' date='Aug 8 2009, 08:32 AM']What is it you don't like about fast fret Pete?

I've just tried Ernie Ball Regular Slinky over Rotosound Swing Bass s/s which I've used since I was an egg.
Much nicer feel but can't comment on longevity yet.
String prices,I use Strings Direct, seem to have shot up drastically from around £13- £18 for a set of four since I last bought a set.
I'd like to try DR's but I can't afford them![/quote]

I just hate the slippery feel.