Why become a member? ×

Frankensteining

Aussiephoenix

In the beginning, there was GAS, a Sadowsky was bought and the GAS ceased.

Now, I have a diferent kind of burn. A friend gave me an old precision body, that got way altered, parts were bought, and slowly but surely my first Frankenstein was built.

I honestly didnt expect much, but I was honestly blown away by the results. It wasnt perfect at first, it took another neck than the one I'd bought for it initially, it'll take yet another pickup to replace a sub-par one that's on it, but, over all, I think I did a pretty decent job. is a P+MM with an aguilar obp3 and a Dr Parts Jazz Neck.

So, there's only the MM pup that needs replacing at the moment to get that bass to God-like status, :) ...

So, I find myself looking for new challenges. now THIS was unexpected... its like Im GASsing for my next Frankenstein project...

Not really for just having a "new" bass, but because I enjoyed getting such a kick*ss result from my first one, all for the price of a Squier VM...

So, there's a new one in the making, the base being a Squier jazz 5 Deluxe. This one is one of those rare Sqiers that had quite a decent build, and amazingly enough, the 5th is tight :rolleyes:

There are drawbacks of course, as Selling Frankenstein basses is almost as hard as selling sh*tty low rung basses...

What are your thoughts on this?

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='560049' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:33 AM']In the beginning, there was GAS, a Sadowsky was bought and the GAS ceased.

Now, I have a diferent kind of burn. A friend gave me an old precision body, that got way altered, parts were bought, and slowly but surely my first Frankenstein was built.

I honestly didnt expect much, but I was honestly blown away by the results. It wasnt perfect at first, it took another neck than the one I'd bought for it initially, it'll take yet another pickup to replace a sub-par one that's on it, but, over all, I think I did a pretty decent job. is a P+MM with an aguilar obp3 and a Dr Parts Jazz Neck.

So, there's only the MM pup that needs replacing at the moment to get that bass to God-like status, :) ...

So, I find myself looking for new challenges. now THIS was unexpected... its like Im GASsing for my next Frankenstein project...

Not really for just having a "new" bass, but because I enjoyed getting such a kick*ss result from my first one, all for the price of a Squier VM...

So, there's a new one in the making, the base being a Squier jazz 5 Deluxe. This one is one of those rare Sqiers that had quite a decent build, and amazingly enough, the 5th is tight :rolleyes:

There are drawbacks of course, as Selling Frankenstein basses is almost as hard as selling sh*tty low rung basses...

What are your thoughts on this?[/quote]

This sounds like 'Trigger Broom Syndrome' to me, not Gas....
:lol:

Garry

Im utterly bitten this expensive and frustrating bug. But I've had some great sucess notably the relic p bass I made and a graphite necked early 80's fender thing. A few expensive aborted efforts too though
at the mo I'm skint but torn with what direction to take a vmj 70's. Either sort of vintagey although not reliced and not esp historically accurate (at all) or to just beef it up a tad in some way. And then do I go chrome or gold hardware. Ec etc etc
it never ends.

There's so much Fender style retrofit out there it seems a shame not to - I'm in total agreement too re. the satisfaction of 'building' your own instrument without needing a wealth of skills and experience and a pro workshop/tools.

True - the value of the instrument IN MONEY TERMS may be less than the sum of the parts - but so what?

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='560266' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:15 PM']I picked up an encore neck and body from the tip for £2.

Spent another £70 doing it up. Net worth now - £40? Fun value - priceless. Playability - h'mmm :)[/quote]

Well, yeah, I meant to say that you should chose your parts carefully, just like Dr. Frankenstein :lol:

When a cheap instrument that you've put together completely overshadows your mate's 700€ bass, and you see the look on his face, now, THAT is priceless. :rolleyes:

I built something from parts about a month ago. To be honest it was a lot of fun sourcing stuff from here and the US, but on the downside, the sourcing of parts kind of preoccupied me a little too much...it was rather like an addiction. That said, it plays really nicely (with a minimum of tweaking), although I'm waiting for the control plate to come back to me so I can really fire it up. There's a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=53575"]thread[/url] over on the build area of the site. It cost about £120.00 all in.

I'd like to do another, but my good lady says five basses is enough. On the upside, I've had two requests to build others. One from a mate and another from a student I teach. I might.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='560683' date='Aug 4 2009, 10:05 PM']...but on the downside, the sourcing of parts kind of preoccupied me a little too much...it was rather like an addiction.[/quote]

That's one of my worries too... it is starting to be an addiction. In all honesty, I dont have need for more than 3 basses... heck dont even have need for more than 2, but the ideas keep comming, and like Mr Foxen said, cant be dealing with standard stuff, so I find myself getting ready to load the squier up with nordstrands and either an AudereZ or an OBP3 (anyone got any thoughts on that choice BTW?) which added up cost more than the bass itself.

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='560803' date='Aug 5 2009, 12:17 AM']That's one of my worries too... it is starting to be an addiction. In all honesty, I dont have need for more than 3 basses... heck dont even have need for more than 2, but the ideas keep comming, and like Mr Foxen said, cant be dealing with standard stuff, so I find myself getting ready to load the squier up with nordstrands and either an AudereZ or an OBP3 (anyone got any thoughts on that choice BTW?) which added up cost more than the bass itself.[/quote]

And on that note, They've Arrived!!!

God, I dont know which preamp to put in... might try both out.

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='561293' date='Aug 5 2009, 05:09 PM']The great Mr. Entwhistle loved a particular frankenstein... The fabled Fenderbird!

Custom extra thick body with a fender precision neck.

[/quote]
Not to mention the pick-ups being in a different place to your usual, too!