Why become a member? ×

Rockschool!

Pete Academy

Yeah, I remember that. I had the book that came out under the name as well - it covered guitar, bass and drums. I didn't look too closely at the bass section as I'd already been playing 4 years, but it was very handy for learning a bit of guitar.

I'm not sure a TV programme would really work now, as you've said, because of youtube.

A keyboard friend of mine got a load of the rockschool dvds from the bay.
I remember it,but missed lots because that was the time when I was out
watching bands regularly . (Don't think I had vhs then) :)

The reason I don't think it would work now is that, apart from the way TV has gone down the pan
big time (imho) many kids could make'' music'' on pc's etc.and have alot more choice
than we did . It seems easier to make music than ever before. Or am I wrong? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Johngh' post='555739' date='Jul 29 2009, 11:15 PM']I remember it well, they use to play Westone guitars I think.[/quote]

Absolutely - Henry had a couple of Thunder IIIAs- super bass player! Deidre lacked feel imho - very clever player but just felt that she could have let rip a bit more! Geoff Nicholls was great - nice drummer.

He taught me on his video for learning bass,but being stoners at the time me and my best mate used to just take the piss out of him,until he did his seriously funky slap cop chase solo at the end,jools holland introduced the video. Happy daze :)

Edited by YouMa

I remember it a bit like those Open University courses, a bit stiff and stifled.
i used to go and see Deirdre play in the band "The Guest Stars" and she was a lot better in a gig situation ..
Re: would it work today? No, I don't think so. Too many DVD, online and Youtoob lessons around (lucky blighters)

Rockschool was highlight of the week, Henry`s cassete and book landed on my doorstep, don`t think it would work now as you have easy access to you tube and any bass tab you want a song for online, suppose its the way to go if you only want to play the things you like without going down the theory road