Why become a member? ×

home studio monitors

MacDaddy

Hi

I recently bought a set of active tascam VL X5 Monitors from eddie moors music for £120

They were recommended by Alex Claber on this forum. I think they are amazing for the money.
As ever we're into that subjective area of what sounds good to me may not be your cuppa tea.

But do check em out if you can

Paul

Hi,

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='58449' date='Sep 10 2007, 09:34 PM']Following on from my previous thread, I've bought the hard disc recorder, and am now looking for some flat response monitors. I've got a £200.00 budget.

Charic has already recommended Yamaha HS50M monitors. Any other opinions advice?

thanks in anticipation.[/quote]

When I was comparing, only the Yamaha MSP5s and the Samsons (Resolv65s I think) really impressed me - I listened to about 8 pairs in total...
I was particularly unimpressed with the Alesis (just 'limp' somehow) and Behringer (warm and wooly)

I ended up getting the MSP5s, but the Samson's would have been my next choice, and they're in your price range - but I'd guess those Yamaha HS50Ms would be good too.
Try and get to hear as many as you can, and take the CD you want to hear with you :)

Cheers,
Stewart

[quote name='Stewart' post='58460' date='Sep 10 2007, 10:04 PM']Try and get to hear as many as you can, and take the CD you want to hear with you :)[/quote]
Good topic for a separate thread maybe :huh: I use Miles Davis' Tutu usually, the title track has a good spread of frequencies.

Hiya,

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='58474' date='Sep 10 2007, 10:24 PM']Good topic for a separate thread maybe :huh: I use Miles Davis' Tutu usually, the title track has a good spread of frequencies.[/quote]

I recorded a few sweeps with a synth to scare the shop staff with in addition to a couple of wel-known (by me) tracks :)

[quote name='Stewart' post='58460' date='Sep 10 2007, 10:04 PM']I was particularly unimpressed with the Alesis (just 'limp' somehow) and Behringer (warm and wooly)[/quote]

I've got a pair of the Alesis Monitor Ones Mk2 Passive and the RA300 Power Amp in my home setup - they sound great to me, very clear and good separation, handles the bass really well - much better than what I had previous but I guess it's all realtive, compared to what I was using anything was going to be an improvement!

That said I did a fair bit of reading up on all the various make and models and these seemed to a very solid performer and great value too...

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='58449' date='Sep 10 2007, 09:34 PM']Following on from my previous thread, I've bought the hard disc recorder, and am now looking for some flat response monitors. I've got a £200.00 budget.

Charic has already recommended Yamaha HS50M monitors. Any other opinions advice?

you won't go far wrong with these.... [url="http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/productAction.do?dispatch=showProduct&SKU=WHAR-DIAMA8.2&context=WEB"]http://www.turnkey.co.uk/web/productAction...amp;context=WEB[/url]

Remember to be wary of listening tests in shop environments too...

What can sound good for 40 seconds in a store, can still be a hyped or ear fatiguing (sp?) monitor. For me, the Alesis Monitor 1's are a perfect example of that. They sound usable, but after 10 hours of constant listening to them, you'll be struggling.

I've tried a whole bunch of monitors in my time, I currently own some Mackie 624's and some Alesis Monitor 1 Mk 2's through an Alesis reference amp. They both do different things well and they suit me.

I can also recommend the Tascam VL-X5's - they're a whole lot of monitor for the money, absolutely superb value for money.

Dodge

Huge vote for digital village for buying mate: www.dv247.com theyll match your lowest price found. Also when testing monitors take some old and some newer music that you know well. Remember your not looking for speakers that sound nice. Your looking for ones that will show up problems. So if you have a band that done some amateur recording take that too!

MB1. :)

Hi mac!
Sound Control have got lots of deals going at the moment on studio monitors,allesis definately £199 from £500+.I should get a bloody job with them, i reckon i sell more gear for them mentioning it on here ,than the so called in store sales guys.Commission at least!

i've got some samson 65's pwered monitors and know you can source the samson resolve 80's for 200.00 on the internet,from a company in poole , don't know the name though! well worth a search, i think, good luck.

I have a pair of Mackie Tapco S5 active studio monitors, still boxed and unopened i will do for £175. And i have the SW10 active subwoofer that i would do for £80. that is still boxed and unopened too.
just PM me if interested.
:)

OR say if you could stretch to £250 you can have the lot.

Edited by pauljdcooper

• 3 weeks later...

Tapco S5's seem to be highly recommended on recording forums so you probably can't go wrong there. The room's also a major factor here, I've had the same monitors in different rooms and the low-end especially is just completely different. Location, Isolation(i.e. putting them on top of foam so they don't couple with the whole desk), room treatment(acoustic foam on the walls) all make a huge difference.

So basically, it's so variable you can just get any monitors as long as you use them loads so your ears get used to their particular sound. You need to listen to commercially produced track on them loads, then make your tracks sound like that. If you only use them for listening to stuff you've recorded you're on the road to nowhere since you've got no reference points.

• 2 months later...

well I eventually got the 65A's. Nice and loud, and cope with the low B's so no problem there.

Any recommendations on settings for the mid presence control, especially when trying to figure out bass lines, would be muchly appreciated!

cheers.

Edited by MacDaddy

[quote name='Toasted' post='115905' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:07 PM']I've got a pair of Mission 750 LE / SE in cherry that I'd be happy to let go for £70. I dont think you'd find a better speaker at the price and they'll cover your outlined needs.

I replaced them with some Quad 12L2's :)[/quote]

thanks, but the Samson's are doing the job.

I've recently bought a pair of active M-Audio BX5As for £130 new from [url="http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/shop/view_product.php?product=maustudiophilebx5a&gclid=CPPxtOiX7pACFQtDMAodpD0dvw"]Absolute Music[/url]. They're flatter than a pancake. Actually a bit cold sounding, but I guess that's what you want from a monitor!