Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fender GAS!!! Why????

CHRISDABASS

Im having a strange feeling!!

Although i have two amazing sadowsky's i can't help having gas for a fender jazz!!

Ive even been looking at the road worn series, which is odd for me because im not usually into beaten up basses!

.........i know my NYC Sadowsky is a definite keeper so im considering selling my RS4 Metro to get a more vintage sounding Fender!!

Does anyone have any good advice or opinions on what to go for? i'll most likely be going for a second hand instrument, either a part ex or straight trade depending on what fender it is!

a few questions:

Are the new 09's worth the money?

should i look for a custom shop model?

What about a proper vintage bass? 60's/70's?

Any thoughts/ideas would be great

Cheers

:)

Oooooeeeew big subject that one...

Fors:-

1. you will have a bass everyone wil instantly recognise (not just other bass players)
2. if its reliced you wont have to worry about getting the odd dink
3. any sound tech will know how to approach it
4. you will blend in (visually) with any band
5. if the tone isnt up to what you want is mega easy pimping them

Againsts:-

1. you may not like it as much as your Sadowskys
2. other bassplayers will just look at is as a reliced J.... (is that a bad thing..? I dont know...!)
3. some bands may look down their noses at you because you dont play a Fender :)
4. sound techs may raise thier eyebrows at you when you get a Sadowsky out the bag....
5. tonally the std J bass may not be a flexible as your Sad. but see 5 above.

As to advice to which one to get, my advice would be just dont jump at the first one you see, as there are loads around and some are f***in' amazin', some are very average, and it doesn't matter where they are made, what year they are, or how much they cost - that applies to all of them.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='551736' date='Jul 26 2009, 12:37 PM']1 Are the new 09's worth the money?

2 should i look for a custom shop model?

3 What about a proper vintage bass? 60's/70's?[/quote]

1 The new US models seem to get a lot of love, especially on Talkbass, so the answer is probably yes.

2 Given you're coming from Sadowsky, this would seem to be a very sensible way forward

3 Very expensive and you've got to find a good one, so could be a long haul.

On the Road Worn issue, users seem to rate the Jazz very highly I certainly like my RW precision very much, definitely worth a demo FWIW IMO

[quote name='The Burpster' post='551748' date='Jul 26 2009, 12:57 PM']Oooooeeeew big subject that one...

Fors:-

1. you will have a bass everyone wil instantly recognise (not just other bass players)
2. if its reliced you wont have to worry about getting the odd dink
3. any sound tech will know how to approach it
4. you will blend in (visually) with any band
5. if the tone isnt up to what you want is mega easy pimping them

Againsts:-

1. you may not like it as much as your Sadowskys
2. other bassplayers will just look at is as a reliced J.... (is that a bad thing..? I dont know...!)
3. some bands may look down their noses at you because you dont play a Fender :)
4. sound techs may raise thier eyebrows at you when you get a Sadowsky out the bag....
5. tonally the std J bass may not be a flexible as your Sad. but see 5 above.

As to advice to which one to get, my advice would be just dont jump at the first one you see, as there are loads around and some are f***in' amazin', some are very average, and it doesn't matter where they are made, what year they are, or how much they cost - that applies to all of them.[/quote]

Thanks mate :rolleyes:

This is helping to clear things up a little!

Although the one thing thats been great about my Sadowsky's is the sound man's reaction to my tone!! they seem to love it! Ive never had that reaction before with other basses...

perhaps i should try putting some single coil pickups in my Metro it might give it a more Fender ish kinda vibe! hmmmm

:lol:

I think that the 08/09 US Fenders are arguably as good as any Fender ever.

I'm really impressed with my 09 American Vintage P. Maybe a 75 American Vintage Jazz might be worth a look? Cheaper than a CS but still a lot more than a American Standard.

On the vintage trail (option 3) it could be a long haul...however, if you get a really good one, it could be something you'll never look back from - some I've played from the sixties and early to mid '70s have been just stunning in terms of both playability and tone. Depending upon what you pay, of course, it's also likely (but not guaranteed) that it will appreciate in value. The market for mid to late '70s Fenders has soared in the past 3 or 4 years.

I recently got hold of a Fender P USA 08/09. Very good, very light (a plus in my book), very comfortable neck, I think they're slightly narrower than the Road Worn. The new style bridge is an improvement as are the Machine Heads, very smooth. It has the best neck join I've seen on a Fender in ages. For me it's a much better model than the S1 Jazz I had, I'd say as good as my pre S1 Fender :) Love the Fender GASSSSSSS! :brow:

Oops got interrupted during the post above...I had a bit of a surprise recently. I no longer gig at all but was pulled back in for a one-off at a colleague's wedding last week. I'd rehearsed with a Warwick 5 (neck to wide for me) and a gorgeous Sei Jazz 4. Just before the gig, feeling something was missing, I pulled out my old Jazz ('75/'76) - what a revelation, it weighs an immense amount but has incredible playability, plug and play classic - and amazing - tone, and it just looks so cool (I've even had compliments from people who don't know the difference between a guitar and a bass). There are some great Fenders out there just now - I've played quite a number (the 08/09s, Roadworn, Squier vintages etc.) - don't discount old Fenders though, there are good ones to be had with patience, determination and serious research.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='551736' date='Jul 26 2009, 12:37 PM']... so im considering selling my RS4 Metro to get a more vintage sounding Fender!!

Any thoughts/ideas would be great[/quote]

Weigh your RS and if the weight suits, sell it to me and you'll have the cash to do what you like... there's an idea. :)

[quote name='bh2' post='551802' date='Jul 26 2009, 02:52 PM']I have particularly bad gas for a RW sunburst jazz...[/quote]
Mine was satisfied just this week - photos soon (but 'don't want to hijack the thread)

On topic - if you're looking to pay serious money, it may be worth looking at some of the CS Jazzers knocking about. I've seen a few recently and the build quality and finishing is generally impressive

[quote name='lozbass' post='551907' date='Jul 26 2009, 05:08 PM']Mine was satisfied just this week - photos soon (but 'don't want to hijack the thread)

On topic - if you're looking to pay serious money, it may be worth looking at some of the CS Jazzers knocking about. I've seen a few recently and the build quality and finishing is generally impressive[/quote]

Cor! Congrats on that... I'm wondering what year the RW's are replicating? I know it's 60's.

I think a lot of the Fender appeal comes from the fact they're used by so many of everyone's bass heroes it's inevitable that someone you like uses one. That and the fact they're the most popular basses in the history of the instrument means they will never lose their appeal.

My Jazz is fairly average, sounds like a Jazz but doesn't sound or play a patch on my Warwick, but I wouldn't sell it - I love it's nostalgia and old school tone.

I just took my 09 Am.Std Jazz on tour to Belgium for a week, mainly as it's the cheapest bass I own at the moment, but it performed amazingly. I was only using it passively through the bass cube as well, but it really sang out and was a pleasure to play. Again, bringing Sadowsky into the argument, when it's running through the Sadowsky outboard preamp, you have the ultimate hifi-jazz bass, but I was really impressed last week. Currently running on DR Marcus Miller FatBeam 40-100's.

Highly recommended.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='551976' date='Jul 26 2009, 06:40 PM']Hi Chris, my 90's Jap Jazz is a beaut but I've tried the new American Jazz basses and they are great.
But, I still lust after a 70's Jazz, as I doubt I'll be able to aford a 60's bass.
I think you should get a 70's P bass.[/quote]

I'm in the same position here, I would really like a properly vintage jazz, but the prices of vintage jazz basses are a bit excessive. I would probably rather buy a new quality Jazz style bass than paying more for an old bass is more likely to have issues. You can still get a good deal out a 70s Precision though, at least in comparison to a Jazz bass from the same year!

I've been playing a 1978 Fender P-bass for about 9 years now, and I've never played a J bass that plays as well as it, hence I've never actually owned a J-style bass.

There is something special about Fenders, especially older ones, in terms of history and 'vibe'. However, it would have to be one hell of a Fender, new or vintage, to make me want to part with a Sadowsky that I owned already! I have played a couple of the Fender 08/09 Jazz basses and was impressed, but the only thing it has going for it the Sadowsky doesn't would be that instant familiarity,'history, tradition and vibe' that Fender pushes so hard, rather than construction, quality of parts, quality control. But if your really need the classic passive Fender sound, you might as well get a Fender.

If soundman can't cope with anything other than a passive Fender P or J bass, that is fairly sad in this day and age. Also, if they are that hopeless, there is little chance they will be able to tell if a bass is a Fender or a Sadowsky! I'm talking in terms of running your own projects though. If you are doing session work, I would imagine it would be wise to own a Precision and a Jazz, just in case you need 'that' sound if the person who is paying you asks for it. But I'm not a session guy though, so I might be talking balls again.

I know how you feel as I am adding a US Standard P 5-string to my RV5. I wasn't interested in a Jazz bass as the RV5 already covers so many bases. I can get the perfect passive tone out of the Sadowsky - the only thing it won't do is that pure p-bass tone, hence the Fender. If you do go for it I recommend choosing a different fingerboard to the one you have on your Sadowsky, i.e., if the Sadowsky has a maple board, get a rosewood board Fender, and vice versa.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='554688' date='Jul 29 2009, 06:25 AM']Thanks for all the comments! :)

They're really helpful

[u]oh and Warwickhunt my RS4 ways just under 9lbs[/u] :rolleyes:[/quote]

Well best you catch me with dosh in my pocket (just sold my Line 6 bass... :lol: ) and organise a price! :lol:

I reviewed my new Precision and Jazz.

Best Fenders ive looked at, played, and heard....but I have little experience with proper vintage Fenders.

The new series is stunning.....its even turning heads with people who normally dont like Fender.

I bought a natural USA Jazz about 7-8 years ago and it sounded weak, badly set up, poor finish. I took it back and got one of my MM's. But I still craved the Jazz.

Ffwd to last month, I realised Fender had got back onto form, and this Jazz is stunning. You just cannot beat passive Fenders....they are so right!

BTW...can I ask, you own Sadowskys...which are always classed as uber-amazing Fender's basically, so why do you want a normal passive Fender?

If I GAS for a Sadow, will I acheive TRUE jazz bass tones, or a more modern version? I really like classic passive Fender tones.

Hope this helps. Try one out....

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='551736' date='Jul 26 2009, 12:37 PM']Im having a strange feeling!!

Although i have two amazing sadowsky's i can't help having gas for a fender jazz!!

Ive even been looking at the road worn series, which is odd for me because im not usually into beaten up basses!

.........i know my NYC Sadowsky is a definite keeper so im considering selling my RS4 Metro to get a more vintage sounding Fender!!

Does anyone have any good advice or opinions on what to go for? i'll most likely be going for a second hand instrument, either a part ex or straight trade depending on what fender it is!

a few questions:

Are the new 09's worth the money?

should i look for a custom shop model?

What about a proper vintage bass? 60's/70's?

Any thoughts/ideas would be great

Cheers

:)[/quote]

Iv had a sadowsky, fender and now a zoot funkmister (in the last few months) I also know i will soon have another fender-why? I have no idea, the sadowsky and the funkmister beat a fender hands down for sound, looks and feel BUT they are not fenders. 90% of all music is played on a fender. When i play a fender, and see fender on the head stock, it to me looks very cool. When at a gig and in a break, i look at the bass on it's stand, and see fender written on the head stock, it feels and looks vey cool-why? i dont know but it does. would i record with a fender over what i have now? i don't think so but would i gig with a fender over what i have now, including sadowsky?YES - why - because its proberbly the coolest bass ever made, both the P and the J so don't feel strange to have a GAS for a fender.

And in my view the 09 jazz is the best one to date, go get it!

[quote name='greyparrot' post='555793' date='Jul 30 2009, 12:36 AM']Iv had a sadowsky, fender and now a zoot funkmister (in the last few months) I also know i will soon have another fender-why? I have no idea, the sadowsky and the funkmister beat a fender hands down for sound, looks and feel BUT they are not fenders. 90% of all music is played on a fender. When i play a fender, and see fender on the head stock, it to me looks very cool. When at a gig and in a break, i look at the bass on it's stand, and see fender written on the head stock, it feels and looks vey cool-why? i dont know but it does. would i record with a fender over what i have now? i don't think so but would i gig with a fender over what i have now, including sadowsky?YES - why - because its proberbly the coolest bass ever made, both the P and the J so don't feel strange to have a GAS for a fender.

And in my view the 09 jazz is the best one to date, go get it![/quote]
I think there's a lot in what Greyparrot says here and I'm not the world's greatest Fender fan. I too probably wouldn't really record with a (the one) Fender I have - unless I was looking for a very specific tone - but I'd certainly use it for gigs. It just looks and feels right. I too think there's something very cool about a Fender, especially one that's clearly been around the block and has a TV logo on the headstock