Why become a member? ×

Must get a Rickenbacker 4003! Where in the UK?

jim_at

Hey everyone,

I've owned a few basses over the years, starting on Encore, moving to Yamahas, then Musicman Sterling, then Fender USA Precision, Fender Geddy Lee sig Jazz - I still own most of them but now really want a Rickenbacker 4003 to add to my collection.

After admiring the tone in many records and finally getting to play one recently I think I want to introduce it into my live and recording setup.

Only problem is finding them!

Theres a couple on eBay, but hardly anything in the shops. Where do people get their Ricks from?

I'm London / Bournemouth based, looking for the amazing White finish (with black inlay) - but interested in other finishes too!

Thanks guys, and hello, lovely place you have here,

Jim

[quote name='TheButler' post='549663' date='Jul 24 2009, 01:28 AM'][url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=04051910564818"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars...=04051910564818[/url]

I'd look second hand personally though :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yeah, second hand and well looked after is my preference. Especially looking at that page and seeing the price :)

[quote name='Machines' post='549707' date='Jul 24 2009, 07:53 AM']Exclusivity or some crap. Rickenbacker have utterly failed to understand the principles of supply and demand.[/quote]

I think John Hall is al too aware of the principles of supply and demand. When he put up their prices 18 months ago he cited the need to manage demand and 'help create a better balance between demand and capacity'.

Doesn't seem to have made much difference though. :)

[quote name='Machines' post='549707' date='Jul 24 2009, 07:53 AM']Exclusivity or some crap. Rickenbacker have utterly failed to understand the principles of supply and demand.[/quote]

Although the reason that an old fashioned passive bass, with a limited range of tones, sells for £1800 or so new is because they are so rare. Rickenbacker have never gone down the OLP/Squier/Epiphone route, and their marketing strategy has created an exclusivity to their brand which allows them to charge a very large premium.

Good luck to them I guess!

Edited by simon1964

Whatever anyone says they are unique basses and they have retained a consistently high build quality throughout - you don't hear about the 'golden years of Rickencaker' as you do other mainstream brands. They keep manufacturing in the US and the output to a level where they can maintain this consistency. Hats off to them for that and are they that expensive when you compare to other similar volume of manufacturing passive basses, e.g. Fender Custom Shop?

I got a 4003 from Peter Cookes this year, I rarely play it but it's a great bass!

Edited by alanbass1

[quote name='alanbass1' post='549722' date='Jul 24 2009, 08:18 AM']Whatever anyone says they are unique basses and they have retained a consistently high build quality throughout - you don't hear about the 'golden years of Rickencaker' as you do other mainstream brands. They keep manufacturing in the US and the output to a level where they can maintain this consistency. Hats off to them for that and are they that expensive when you compare to other similar volume of manufacturing passive basses, e.g. Fender Custom Shop?

I got a 4003 from Peter Cookes this year, I rarely play it but it's a great bass![/quote]

Don't get me wrong - I'm not criticising Rickenbacker for their strategy, and I love their basses. In fact I bought one last month!

You can get reasonable deals on ebay. I paid £1000 for a mint 2004 which doesn't seem bad compared to new prices.

One here not far of ending on eBay;
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Midnight-Blue-Rickenbacker-Bass-4003_W0QQitemZ300331076343QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item45ed208af7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1688%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Midnight-Blue-Ricken...%3A1%7C294%3A50[/url]
It looks like it's genuine and a sensible price for a nearly new instrument. I paid just over £800 for a mint jetglo back in 2002.

[quote name='jimairtraffic' post='549659' date='Jul 24 2009, 01:23 AM']Only problem is finding them!
Jim[/quote]
Keep watching Ebay - and the Basses For Sale forum here, they do come up quite often. Secondhand is getting dearer but only proportionately to new retail price - and you really will have a job finding a new 'un. If you're not fussed about finish and the details RIC change from year to year, you shouldn't have to wait long before a decent used one comes up.

It also might be worth your while registering on the RickResource forums, people buy & sell all the time on there. Most of the members are in the US but you might still get a decent deal importing one.

Best of luck!

Jon.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='550455' date='Jul 24 2009, 06:05 PM']Fuzz in Nottingham had a Jetglo and a Mapleglo Ric 4001 last time I looked. Of course both were the full new list price...[/quote]

Both in good condition too. They do have some very nice, top end stock in there, especially for a new store, but I do worry about how much they'll sell in the current climate.

[quote]It also might be worth your while registering on the RickResource forums, people buy & sell all the time on there. Most of the members are in the US but you might still get a decent deal importing one.[/quote]
+1 for RickResource - a year or two ago I picked up a lovely Mapleglo 4003 with Black trimmings for a competitive price (even taking account of shipping and import duty ~ £800-850 IIRC), from a US RickResource member. The dollar has gone the wrong way since but its nowhere near as bad as it was a couple of months ago

Just never dare mention Rickenfakers or they will hunt you down like a dog :)

Edited by Clarky

They're not exactly a new shop - it's a second premises for Guitar Base.

Personally I hope they do well. Their stock is way more exciting than either the Drum and Guitar Centre or the offshoot of Millennium Music that's in the old Sound Control shop.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='550466' date='Jul 24 2009, 06:22 PM']They're not exactly a new shop - it's a second premises for Guitar Base.

Personally I hope they do well. Their stock is way more exciting than either the Drum and Guitar Centre or the offshoot of Millennium Music that's in the old Sound Control shop.[/quote]

Ah - didn't realise that.

Definately agree on the quality of their stock, and they seem pretty helpful. The old Sound Control, on the other hand, is even worse than it used to be!

[quote name='simon1964' post='550474' date='Jul 24 2009, 06:55 PM']Ah - didn't realise that.

Definately agree on the quality of their stock, and they seem pretty helpful. The old Sound Control, on the other hand, is even worse than it used to be![/quote]

If it wasn't for the fact that I've recently gone self employed and have to watch the pennies for the moment, plus I've decided that I shouldn't buy any more 4-string basses, I'd have been severely tempted by the Jack Cassidy Sig, Thunderbirds and Rics that they have in stock.

The old Sound Control shop is now part of Millennium Music. I've had to deal with them in the past when I wanted to buy a Nord keyboard and they were the only way of getting one in the UK at the time. It wasn't a particularly pleasant experience and I'm in no hurry to do that again.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Clarky' post='550465' date='Jul 24 2009, 06:21 PM']Just never dare mention Rickenfakers or they will hunt you down like a dog :rolleyes:[/quote]
Funny - they seem to quite like me over there & I never talk about anything else! :)

Although maybe it's because [spoiler][size=1]I haven't told them I don't have a real Rickenbacker...[/size] :ph34r:

J.