Why become a member? ×

What Bass Does Flea Use

JBassist

He used to use Stingrays but he wanted a signature model and EB said "No. We don't do signature models"...... apart from the Steve Morse, the Albert Lee, the John Petrucci, the Steve Lukather..... the (erm) Ali Bongo. :)

Edited by tombboy

[quote name='tombboy' post='546411' date='Jul 21 2009, 01:35 PM']He used to use Stingrays but he wanted a signature model and EB said "No. We don't do signature models"...... apart from the Steve Morse, the Albert Lee, the John Petrucci, the Steve Lukather..... the (erm) Ali Bongo. :)[/quote]

But they don't make signature basses. They don't need to-the Stingray sells itself.

[quote name='Doddy' post='546426' date='Jul 21 2009, 01:49 PM']But they don't make signature basses. They don't need to-the Stingray sells itself.[/quote]

Although it has to be said that they've sold a lot better since RHCP became famous.

[quote name='rjb' post='546743' date='Jul 21 2009, 05:13 PM']I always found it funny how loads of folk bought Stingrays after Blood Sugar Sex Magic only to later discover many of its best lines were played on a Wal! :rolleyes:[/quote]

i can not tell you how funny that is.

:)

[quote name='Doddy' post='546410' date='Jul 21 2009, 01:35 PM']Yeah it's a Modulus Fleabass.

Does anyone remember that bass before Flea used it and was
known as the Sonic Hammer?[/quote]

Yes, although wasn't that bass discontinued and remodelled into the Flea bass? It's a shame, I like the Sonic Hammer basses! Part of the reason that EB refused to bow to Flea's demand for a sig bass was that he wanted the Stingray line renamed the Flea bass! :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='546410' date='Jul 21 2009, 01:35 PM']Yeah it's a Modulus Fleabass.

Does anyone remember that bass before Flea used it and was
known as the Sonic Hammer?[/quote]
CrazyKiwi had one for a while - I played it and it was awesome. I think it found it's way to Beedster (natch) and then I'm not sure where it went afterwards.

Flea also used an Alembic Epic to record most of "One Hot Minute", although I don't think he ever played it live.

The Modulus is a great bass, but the all-time best Flea tone has to go to BSSM - the Wal. The bass tone on that album is amazing.

[quote name='rjb' post='546743' date='Jul 21 2009, 05:13 PM']I always found it funny how loads of folk bought Stingrays after Blood Sugar Sex Magic only to later discover many of its best lines were played on a Wal! :)[/quote]

As far as I remember, He's said that Under the Bridge and Munky Monks were on a Stingray5 and Aeroplane off One Hot Minute was on a Stingray. Any others?

[quote name='dlloyd' post='548700' date='Jul 23 2009, 11:15 AM']As far as I remember, He's said that Under the Bridge and Munky Monks were on a Stingray5 and Aeroplane off One Hot Minute was on a Stingray. Any others?[/quote]

Righteous and the wicked was presumably done on the SR5 too.

[quote name='tombboy' post='546411' date='Jul 21 2009, 01:35 PM']He used to use Stingrays but he wanted a signature model and EB said "No. We don't do signature models"...... apart from the Steve Morse, the Albert Lee, the John Petrucci, the Steve Lukather..... the (erm) Ali Bongo. :)[/quote]

Always wondered why he jumped ship.
With that being why he did I can completely understand why...Oh well, congrats to Modulus.
Never felt the need to buy a fleabass though...it's kinda...average.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='546817' date='Jul 21 2009, 06:20 PM']i can not tell you how funny that is.

:)[/quote]

[quote]As far as I remember, He's said that Under the Bridge and Munky Monks were on a Stingray5 and Aeroplane off One Hot Minute was on a Stingray. Any others?[/quote]

Oops, some ruffled feathers? I come in peace, honest! :rolleyes:

I definitely saw footage of him playing a Wal in the BSSM sessions back in the day. It's probably on Youtube by now. Either way it really doesn't matter in the great scheme of things.

His demands for endorsements seem very OTT, by the way.

Edited by rjb