Why become a member? ×

So, I've got an expensive(ish) bass, a decent amp, a nice set of strings

iamapirate

i've got an american Standard Fender 2008 Jaaaazz bass with the brightest XLs there are (prosteels?) and a decent amp (not that it really matters much for my problem) - ashdown MAG*ducks*-300 with 4x10s as i've said many times. And I'm getting a nice tone out of it, but what with everyone saying that all the standard stuff is good, but can be 'upgraded' I was wondering what/if to change hardware-wise on my bass. I like a deep, but bright tone - nothing too muddy. Err, thats about it - just wondering what/how I can upgrade a pretty nice bass anyway. i've got a nice tone from it, but I'm not in love with it. just wondering if it's 'that bridge' or the stock pups

Well firstly, if you like the sound of your current setup, then why change it? You could spend countless hours and pounds in search of a better tone, but I like to approach upgrades with the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' philosophy.

In saying that though, there are a vast number of options available to Fender users, as the parts on J and P basses are standard sizes really, and pretty much every aftermarket manufacturer makes a part to directly replace a standard Fender part.

A lot of Fender users upgrade their bridge at some point, but it's purely subjective whether or not it makes a bass sound 'better'. To my ears, a couple of my Jazz basses were vastly improved by replacing the stock bridge with a [url="http://www.leoquan.com/html/bass2details.html"]Leo Quan Badass Bass II bridge[/url].

Pickup-wise, again this is down to your own personal tastes. I have a set of [url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass&sub=Jazz%20Bass"]Wizard Sixty-Fours[/url] in one of my Jazz Basses, and a set of [url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass&sub=Jazz%20Bass"]Wizard Eighty-Fours[/url] in another.

There are certainly a vast number of possibilities out there, but if you investigate your options and make a few shrewd purchases, then you can end up with a personalised bass which sounds exactly as you want it.

Hope this helps,

Danny :)

Do you like the sound of any other bass you have heard? Youve got the best bass to upgrade IMO..not that it needs it...Awsome instrument...

In my limited experience EMG's might give you the sound youve been looking for..Lots of midrange, very bright....No pre, just Active J's...very easy to solder in place....or some Nordstrand's will give you some awsome warm punch..Some may correct me on this??..

I agree with Acidbasses philosophy but i recently bought a bass that really did change my mind, on the way i think about, and play a bass,it was the Sei....It really does get alot better when you go custom..... but i still totally connect with a Fender Jazz, it will never leave me...

The bottom line is, listen to as many basses as you can and decide...the Jazz is a great platform to put most good gear on to these days like yours..

if it was me i would put some Nordstrand J's and a Sadowsky pre in it, or even the Sadowsky pre/DI...Totally sweet...the best combo in the world..IMHO..or just as good leave the bass and get an Aguilar Tone Hammer...this has got to be the best option to altering you bass!!!!

How long have you had your current set-up?

Unless you're gigging every night, you need to play it 'as is' for several months before you'll really know what needs upgrading.

Rather than looking around to check what upgrades are available, IMO it works better to focus on what you like / do not like about your current sound.

Once you know whether you have a "problem" you can go looking for a solution.

[quote name='iamapirate' post='545919' date='Jul 21 2009, 12:37 AM']i've got an american Standard Fender 2008 Jaaaazz bass with the brightest XLs there are (prosteels?) and a decent amp (not that it really matters much for my problem) - ashdown MAG*ducks*-300 with 4x10s as i've said many times. And I'm getting a nice tone out of it, but what with everyone saying that all the standard stuff is good, but can be 'upgraded' I was wondering what/if to change hardware-wise on my bass. I like a deep, but bright tone - nothing too muddy. Err, thats about it - just wondering what/how I can upgrade a pretty nice bass anyway. i've got a nice tone from it, but I'm not in love with it. just wondering if it's 'that bridge' or the stock pups[/quote]

IMO theres nothing wrong with the USA bridge and thru-stringing. its far batter than the standard piece of bent tin on the mex and squier models. Unless you want really long sustatining notes for reggae or dub or something i wouldnt bother with upgrades. I think there are better pickups out there and you could look at Nordstrands or Wizards for a deeper tone. Or you could look at an eq system like Audere or East JRetro for more flexibility. Not sure about EMGs as your bass could sound like any other bass with EMGs then.

if I were you (and Im not) id hold off on any bass upgrades and see how much better your bass could sound through a better amp.

[quote name='iamapirate' post='545919' date='Jul 21 2009, 12:37 AM']I like a deep, but bright tone - nothing too muddy.[/quote]

I get the feeling your problem lies with your amp rather than your bass. Ashdown gear has a decidedly 'old school' bass sound, and don't really do bright too well.

Have you tried other basses through your amp? I suspect you might find them all lacking that bit of sparkle.

A

[quote name='Spartacus' post='546021' date='Jul 21 2009, 09:15 AM']IMO theres nothing wrong with the USA bridge and thru-stringing. its far batter than the standard piece of bent tin on the mex and squier models. Unless you want really long sustatining notes for reggae or dub or something i wouldnt bother with upgrades. I think there are better pickups out there and you could look at Nordstrands or Wizards for a deeper tone. Or you could look at an eq system like Audere or East JRetro for more flexibility. Not sure about EMGs as your bass could sound like any other bass with EMGs then.

if I were you (and Im not) id hold off on any bass upgrades and see how much better your bass could sound through a better amp.[/quote]I don't understand what you mean about EMG's. I've got EMG's in my P bass, Jazz and headless and they all sound TOTALLY different to each other.
This is a common misconception about EMG's, as is they are bright sounding with lots of midrange. They are powerful and give a great even tone and they have plenty of low end response, they do not make all basses sound the same.

Upgrades wise, don't bother, you have a great bass there. Take your bass to the shops and try out some new amps. I owned Ashdown for a while, not a bad amp, then Hartke, totally different, much more presence, then this, then that all different. So try as many as you can and keep an open mind.
Good luck.

[quote name='Alien' post='546030' date='Jul 21 2009, 09:22 AM']I get the feeling your problem lies with your amp rather than your bass. Ashdown gear has a decidedly 'old school' bass sound, and don't really do bright too well.

Have you tried other basses through your amp? I suspect you might find them all lacking that bit of sparkle.

A[/quote]I thought that too, as I use to have an ABM combo and couldn't get anything out of it that I liked.

I was at rehearsals a couple of weeks ago and heard this amazing bass sound coming out of a room, the door was half open and the bass player had a Spector going into an Asdown ABM 4x10 combo, it sounded great, not as good as me but not shabby at all. :)
So there you go.

If you like to go really deep, what about adding a 1x15" to your existing setup? The 4x10s are great in the Ashdown range, but I would call them punchy rather than deep. A nice 15" could give you the low end thump, whilst leaving the combo to deal with the mids and highs better.

Cheers,
James

[quote name='Moos3h' post='546103' date='Jul 21 2009, 09:30 AM']If you like to go really deep, what about adding a 1x15" to your existing setup? The 4x10s are great in the Ashdown range, but I would call them punchy rather than deep. A nice 15" could give you the low end thump, whilst leaving the combo to deal with the mids and highs better.

Cheers,
James[/quote]
haha, Well that was my first thought, actually. Also, I don't get a lot of volume out of the 4x10s because they don't quite use up all 300 watts, IMO. I've heard 100watt amps louder than it :/.

[quote]if you like your tone etc. just keep what youve got.[/quote]
Well, that's the thing. I 'like' my tone, but I know that I've heard people with similar setups, who have a simply amazing tone. I mean, most of them had ampegs (which is wayyyy out of my price range atm!), but I don't think that people would [i]realy[/i] spend all this money on bridges and pickups if there wasn't something in them.

Also, my bass is a passive bass, so bubinga5, would a new preamp in it actually fit? Or is this a pedal? I know the tonehammer is a pedal, but when I heard clips on youtube I wasn't blown away by what happened when it got hit. It's also veryy large!

Edited by iamapirate

I wouldnt touch the bass or strings at all. Not yet.

I'd be upgrading the rig from the ground up - start saving cos if you want punchy and bright and you love 4x10s then the ae410 is the best there is (here I go again, my record is stuck). If you like deep then the Epifani Ul410 is the daddy. If 4x10's arent your be all and end all then a barefaced Big One may do the job, but it doesnt get super duper tweeter bright.

After that I'd replace the head with either MB (F1 if you an get it - or any of the LMII or derivatives), or a Shuttle 6.0. Or a MesaBoogie Carbine.

After all of that and getting used to it then look at the bass.

Other options that may suit include the TC Rebelhead stuff or TecAmp Puma stuff.

I'd not bother with halfway houses I found you end up spending more on juimping up the tone ladder than just saving for a long time and getting the best when you can afford it. But thats just my opinion.....

The differences between your rig and the ones I've listed are massive IMO.

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='iamapirate' post='546172' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:12 AM']haha, Well that was my first thought, actually. Also, I don't get a lot of volume out of the 4x10s because they don't quite use up all 300 watts, IMO. I've heard 100watt amps louder than it :/.

Well, that's the thing. I 'like' my tone, but I know that I've heard people with similar setups, who have a simply amazing tone. I mean, most of them had ampegs (which is wayyyy out of my price range atm!), but I don't think that people would [i]realy[/i] spend all this money on bridges and pickups if there wasn't something in them.

Also, my bass is a passive bass, so bubinga5, would a new preamp in it actually fit? Or is this a pedal? I know the tonehammer is a pedal, but when I heard clips on youtube I wasn't blown away by what happened when it got hit. It's also veryy large![/quote] Well some have put preamps in there basses but this means routing...But no an external preamp i mean...Is the tone hammer that big?? Does it matter, its no bigger than an effects pedal or unit....

[quote name='bubinga5' post='546386' date='Jul 21 2009, 01:19 PM']Well some have put preamps in there basses but this means routing...But no an external preamp i mean...Is the tone hammer that big?? Does it matter, its no bigger than an effects pedal or unit....[/quote]

I'd describe the Tone Hammer as quite small.

I agree re the rig comments entirely. Leave the bass be until you are certain you need to modify it methinks. I've put BasAss's on basses and can't honestly say I've noticed a great amount of difference. My 62 AV RI P has a bit of bent tin and sound really rather special to my ears.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='546386' date='Jul 21 2009, 01:19 PM']Well some have put preamps in there basses but this means routing...But no an external preamp i mean...Is the tone hammer that big?? Does it matter, its no bigger than an effects pedal or unit....[/quote]
Well, maybe but as far as I can see it's really just a very nice EQ that has been tweaked to make a bass sound at it's best, so I'd set it and leave it. I can understand taking up 2 boss-sized pedal spaces with something like a EHX BMS, but for something that's 'set and leave' like the tone-hammer it is rather large.

[quote name='iamapirate' post='546428' date='Jul 21 2009, 01:50 PM']Well, maybe but as far as I can see it's really just a very nice EQ that has been tweaked to make a bass sound at it's best, so I'd set it and leave it. I can understand taking up 2 boss-sized pedal spaces with something like a EHX BMS, but for something that's 'set and leave' like the tone-hammer it is rather large.[/quote]

The Tonehammer is more than just an EQ though with DI, pre amp, sweepable mids and an overdrive circuit.

[quote name='aj5string' post='546122' date='Jul 21 2009, 10:40 AM']You'll notice far more difference if you practice than with the never ending GAS cycle.

Alex.[/quote]
+1.. I resisted the 'cycle' for a long time, learned to make a better sound on what I had (especially acoustically.. if you love the sound you make unplugged then decent pickups and amps will just make that tone louder)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44673&hl=ibanez+roadster"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...ibanez+roadster[/url]
I tweaked it over the years but at each change learned how to get the best out of it.
EMG ended up being my pickup of choice.. if you like them their breadth of tone is superb!
So now I've finally succumbed to serious Overwater temptation but I already know what to do with my fingers! :)

When's the next Bash near you? That seems to be a good opportunity to hear and try loads of different options.

[quote name='iamapirate' post='546172' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:12 AM']haha, Well that was my first thought, actually. Also, I don't get a lot of volume out of the 4x10s because they don't quite use up all 300 watts, IMO. I've heard 100watt amps louder than it :/.[/quote]

Nope, you dont get a lot of volume out of them because they arent very sensitive drivers placed in a not very well designed cab. Frankly the results are severely below par (to be extremely poilte), IMO.

A few 10s of watts either way isnt the issue at all!

Edited by 51m0n

Bridges: don't do it. I did an extensive sound test on www.musicplayer.com on a Fender P with stock and Badass II bridge. Comment was divided but no-one actually thought the BII was better. IMHO there's no point.

Sound. How long have you played? You need to get to know your Jazz. What V/V/T set-up do you use? Try nickel strings, try flats. Explore your bass. It takes years to properly explore what you have.

Counterwise, I agree with ABG comment, how it can open up your playing. Having an ABG in your arsenal is not a bad thing at all.

Peace
Davo