Why become a member? ×

I've only gone and bought a Bootsy Signature Star Bass!

molan

As a huge Bootsy fan I've always quite fancied owning a Space Bass of some description but the only previous ones I've seen were crazy money £3K plus for a Washburn!

Even the Traben's have been kicking around the £2K mark but I spotted one at the weekend for a great price & thought I just had to have one :)

OFFICIAL SPECS
BRIDGE Traben Bootzilla Star
CONSTRUCTION set neck
PICKUPS five Rockfield™ pickups Fat Bass-Tard j-style
ELECTRONICS 3 individual Aguilar® amplification obp-3 pre-amps custom wired for various settings
BODY basswood
FRETBOARD rosewood
NUT chrome plated brass
INLAY Bootzilla shooting star

How could you resist no less than three onboard Aggie pre-amps & 5 Fat Bass-Tard pickups eh?

Ok - well actually I can easily see why any sane person could resist one of these given the somewhat 'esoteric' styling :rolleyes:

Should arrive in a couple of weeks so I'll keep you posted on what it's actually like to play!

Edited by molan

[quote name='molan' post='545330' date='Jul 20 2009, 02:30 PM']As a huge Bootsy fan I've always quite fancied owning a Space Bass of some description but the only previous ones I've seen were crazy money £3K plus for a Washburn!

Even the Traben's have been kicking around the £2K mark but I spotted one at the weekend for a great price & thought I just had to have one :)

OFFICIAL SPECS
BRIDGE Traben Bootzilla Star
CONSTRUCTION set neck
PICKUPS five Rockfield™ pickups Fat Bass-Tard j-style
ELECTRONICS 3 individual Aguilar® amplification obp-3 pre-amps custom wired for various settings
BODY basswood
FRETBOARD rosewood
NUT chrome plated brass
INLAY Bootzilla shooting star

How could you resist no less than three onboard Aggie pre-amps & 5 Fat Bass-Tard pickups eh?

Ok - well actually I can easily see why any sane person could resist one of these given the somewhat 'esoteric' styling :rolleyes:

Should arrive in a couple of weeks so I'll keep you posted on what it's actually like to play![/quote]
That is awesome! And somewhat scary looking at the same time. Are you going to gig with it? I can just see it on a a dinner jazz gig :lol:

You've got to get the star sunglasses to go with it. My 3 year old daughter has a pair that will go with that bass nicely :D

[quote name='Rayman' post='545396' date='Jul 20 2009, 03:39 PM']Now [i]that's[/i] quality. Imagine pulling that bugger out for a set down at the Dog and Duck on a Saturday night.[/quote]

Pretty damn close - I think my next gig is at the Dog and Partridge.

I'm toying with using it for a couple of songs just for a laugh!

I found someone in the USA who has one and he said it's really nicely put together and sounds like an absolute beast :)

I can't wait for it to arrive now. . .

[quote name='mxm' post='545504' date='Jul 20 2009, 05:18 PM']Welcome to the world of the Space Bass !

We ought to have our own sub-forum like: 'Why Have 2 Pick-Ups When You Can Have 5 ?' or 'Whats Wrong With Star Shaped Basses ?'.[/quote]

That's one pickup for each point of the star :)

So have you got one of the Trabens as well?

I know there have been other Bootsy basses around but not sure on exact pickup config for each (Washburn ones have a paltry 2 I think - pah!)

[quote name='molan' post='545508' date='Jul 20 2009, 05:23 PM']So have you got one of the Trabens as well?[/quote]

Hi, sadly the chance of buying a retail space bass is non-existant being left handed ! I had one built for me copying Bootsy's classic Pless-built 70's bass and the Washburn. But obviously without the seperate output ( ...+ ampeg svt + mad fx) for every pick-up.

Are you getting a case with your purchase !!???? I'm still on the lookout for one lol. :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='545572' date='Jul 20 2009, 06:26 PM']I actually expected something more extreme like loadsa colour and some pink fur :)

Nice one.[/quote]

That'll be what I'll be wearing when I play it - I still have my pink acrylic fur shortie jacket from my psychedelic punk days (I kid you not!).

Only vid I could find of the Traben was this 5 string version:

[i]Your love is kind of sweet, sweet enough to eat
I'm hooked on you chocolate star
I got the munchies for your love[/i]

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='545827' date='Jul 20 2009, 10:40 PM']They do it in a 5? You really shouldn't have pointed that out. Oh no. :)[/quote]

I've never actually seen one for sale & they are out of production now.

May well pop up on the used market though :rolleyes: