Why become a member? ×

Stage Clobber

Deep Thought

When this thread first started, I hadn't even set foot on a stage!

I make a point of making an effort to look smart - shirt, tie, often a waistcoat, smart trousers. My only concession to rebellion is that I wear one of my wacky pair of Vans on my feet. You can't be completely seriously dressed - you look like you're going to a funeral, a job interview or court or something :)

i bought a 1997 middlesbrough fc away shirt to wear on stage. theory being that i'll turn up to the gig in whatever im wearing that day, do the gig in the football shirt so it gets all sweaty, then change back afterwards when im not so damp...

its catching on in the band...

its a good look. old football shirts.

of course this is assuming we even wear t shirts.

most of the summer it was a pair of shorts/ track suit bottoms and trainers.

Edited by Crikey!

yep making an effort on stage is vital. Here's some of my old band, who were described by the NME as Psychedelic Funk :)

And my latest band. You'll never guess what kind of music we play :lol:
(don't think we'll ever be in the NME either :rolleyes:
)

Edited by MacDaddy

[quote name='OldGit' post='596107' date='Sep 11 2009, 10:24 PM']Ah welcome back old thread friend. Whilst you were away I was reminded that matching outfits and baseball hats cannot always save you:
[/quote]

OMG!!! That is the best vid I have seen for so long!! I'd book them for the comedy value!!

I've listened to it 3 times so far!! :)

It depends on the band and the gig, but I definitely do the stage clothes thing. Past crimes against fashion include zebra print, tartan or velvet patchwork trousers, pointy felt, panama, racoon skin and shakespearian style hats, coloured feathers in my ponytail, big green sunglasses, flowery or shiny silver shirts and various waistcoats. Not all at the same time I hasten to add. I like the idea of stage clothes, because when I see something in a shop that I like but think I could never get away with wearing, I'll usually buy it anyway and call it gig wear.

[quote name='Crikey!' post='596281' date='Sep 12 2009, 03:34 AM']its a good look. old football shirts.[/quote]

Could be, depending what they are and your audience etc.... I have a repro of an old Soviet Union one somewhere, 70s era, which is pretty cool, though it rarely gets worn as I mostly dress day to day in a vintage look that falls anywhere between 1930 and 1959. I did fancy an old Northern Ireland repro shirt, little brotehr has one and it looks great. What really puts me off is that they come with George Best's nubmer on them, and I certainly don't want to be associated with him.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='596392' date='Sep 12 2009, 10:31 AM']And my latest band. You'll never guess what kind of music we play :lol:
(don't think we'll ever be in the NME either :rolleyes:
)
[/quote]

:lol: Coupel of months ago I stopped buying the NME every week - really felt like the end of an era. Just got to the point whre the bands didn't speak to me any more, and nothing appealed - guess they've gotten into a phase where it's all synthesisers, asymetrical haircuts and Shoreditch w***ers. That and the small matter that there are no tunes, you can't hear the words, you can't tell the boys from the girls anymore..... :)

Manchester Evening News described us as '70's style suits'

The singer and guitarist usually wear full pinstripe suits, waistcoats etc, Andy the Drummer usually wearst a Trilby, Shirt and Tie, I Uusally do Suit Pants, Shirt and Tie, and the keys player wears whatever she has - we have had her wear a dress from time to time.

We made a huge effort to be uniformly ununiform. I think we're going to stop soon though.

[quote name='EdwardMarlowe' post='598230' date='Sep 14 2009, 02:40 PM']:rolleyes: Coupel of months ago I stopped buying the NME every week - really felt like the end of an era. Just got to the point whre the bands didn't speak to me any more, and nothing appealed - guess they've gotten into a phase where it's all synthesisers, asymetrical haircuts and Shoreditch w***ers. That and the small matter that there are no tunes, you can't hear the words, you can't tell the boys from the girls anymore..... :)[/quote]

Those criticisms could be attached to pretty much any music scene from about 1973 onwards.

You do realise that you're turning into your dad?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='598447' date='Sep 14 2009, 05:49 PM']Those criticisms could be attached to pretty much any music scene from about 1973 onwards.

You do realise that you're turning into your dad?[/quote]

Nah, my dad isn't into music - he likes the Carpenters.

In any case, it's not when the NME stops speaking to you that you have to worry... when Mojoj *starts*, *that's* time to worry.... :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='598238' date='Sep 14 2009, 02:46 PM']You guys look really really cool. Loving that look, very jazzy but the question is, do you guys play Jazz??[/quote]

Thanks. We're a funk-rock-soul jam band with tunes.

Different people have said different things: "gangsters", "jazz"... "The Commitments". That last one confused and saddened me!

After that photo, I thought about each member of the band wearing a different style of suit/hat/shoes to help support the idea behind each member's stage persona. A bit [i]Spice Girls[/i] but [i]Guns n' Roses[/i] did it too (Duff = Sex Pistols, Izzy = Rolling Stones, Slash = Aerosmith, Steven = '80s LA rock/hair metal).

I thought left to right we should go for:
guitarist -> New Orleans gangster/musician,
me -> old bluesman/sharp funk musician/shady businessman,
singer/frontman -> supercool guy with quirky design student geek tendencies,
keyboard player -> consummate showman/ladies' man/church man, ie. Al Green,
drummer -> precocious jazzer, ie. Sinatra.

Edited by The Funk