Why become a member? ×

The Day Live Music Died

sdgrsr400

I think the British Pub / Venue scene is in decline anyway due to the price of alcohol. Its a rip-off and puts people off going to gigs.

Asking people's ethnic background is just pure idiocy. How can that be legal? Surley the anti-discrimination laws could make this illegal?

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='544006' date='Jul 18 2009, 02:39 PM']I think the British Pub / Venue scene is in decline anyway due to the price of alcohol. Its a rip-off and puts people off going to gigs.

Asking people's ethnic background is just pure idiocy. How can that be legal? Surley the anti-discrimination laws could make this illegal?[/quote]
I thought that too
[quote]suppressing the forms of music that black and Asian teenagers enjoy – dubstep, hip hop, ragga, and the rest[/quote]
What's that supposed to mean? I know plenty of white people into that sort of thing, just shows that the government and the media know nothing about music.

Im not in Enland, but over here in Ireland and were i live weve lost loads of places, One of the best was closed down cause a local priest said that to much drugs and other stuff was happening their, so going form weekly gigs you could get their once every now and again, terrible. Not much stuff atall.

"But this week, the Culture Secretary, Andy Burnham, gave the Government's reply: it does not matter how small a venue is, it can still attract trouble. "

What a f***ing twat. The alcohol causes the trouble not the music. This has nothing whatever to do with the music.

I don't think though, that this is anywhere near as big a deal as it's being made out to be.

*Form 696 is a risk assessment form which, the Metropolitan Police says, gives it a clear idea of whether a planned musical event is likely to be a threat to law and order or a nuisance to people living nearby.

Although the police drew up the form, which is now being amended, it is up to local councils and to magistrates to complete it as a condition of granting a music licence. [b]Currently, there are 70 venues in London, out of about 28,000, where no event can be held unless form 696 has been filled in. [/b]

Edited by silddx

Its not the alcohol either, its people that take something as an excuse to be a dick. You can be a dick sober, in a silent place. Point is that the association should not be the focus of legislation. Hopefully this will bring back the DIY ethic of gigs in your living room. Plenty of illegal raves happen, should work fine for bands on a smaller scale, since they have their own equipment. nless they are those boring folk who DI and have no backline, they are screwed. Oh, and singers will have to buy a PA. I'm happy with instrumental music anyway.

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='544055' date='Jul 18 2009, 03:25 PM']One of the best was closed down cause a local priest said that to much drugs and other stuff was happening their[/quote]

The local priest? How did they take him seriously when he believes in mythical beings who live in the sky and know your thoughts and if you think bad thoughts you'll be burned in a big fire by some bloke with a pitchfork and horns on his head? If you ask me, the priest is the one who has been taking the drugs.

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='544106' date='Jul 18 2009, 04:32 PM']The local priest? How did they take him seriously when he believes in mythical beings who live in the sky and know your thoughts and if you think bad thoughts you'll be burned in a big fire by some bloke with a pitchfork and horns on his head? If you ask me, the priest is the one who has been taking the drugs.[/quote]

haha rather amusing. I was going to put this in my signature but for some reason firefox seems to have a problem copying things suddenly. Maybe it's because i've sinned against god?

"GOD LOVES INTERNET EXPLORER"

Anyway if you want my opinion on this, i reckon it's just more media bull.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='544106' date='Jul 18 2009, 04:32 PM']The local priest? How did they take him seriously when he believes in mythical beings who live in the sky and know your thoughts and if you think bad thoughts you'll be burned in a big fire by some bloke with a pitchfork and horns on his head? If you ask me, the priest is the one who has been taking the drugs.[/quote]

Ireland even though at one point being the 3rd richest country in the world i believe, is still a very old country and catholisism still reigns even though it is now dieing out, but it all gigs stopped there for 6+ months and theres one evreymonth or less now.

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='544133' date='Jul 18 2009, 05:02 PM']Ireland even though at one point being the 3rd richest country in the world i believe, is still a very old country and catholisism still reigns even though it is now dieing out, but it all gigs stopped there for 6+ months and theres one evreymonth or less now.[/quote]

No need to explain mate. Both my parents were / are Irish and I know all about their mad views on religion and all that. Apparently they still belive in fairies over there in some parts - I kid you not - and I'm not talking about the Danny le Rue type fairy either.

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='544133' date='Jul 18 2009, 05:02 PM']Ireland even though at one point being the 3rd richest country in the world i believe, is still a very old country and catholisism still reigns even though it is now dieing out, but it all gigs stopped there for 6+ months and theres one evreymonth or less now.[/quote]
Now thats Wexford,Waterford,Roscommon,Wicklow,and Offaly for ya....Im still shocked the church has not got Electricity banned!

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='544117' date='Jul 18 2009, 04:44 PM']haha rather amusing. I was going to put this in my signature but for some reason firefox seems to have a problem copying things suddenly. Maybe it's because i've sinned against god?[/quote]

You will burn in hell my child unless you repent !

Out here in the countryside, there's never been more gigs going. Seems like every other pub or village hall has a weekly or fortnightly gig - full bands too, none of your backing tapes malarkey. And we've even had names like Sherman Robertson (at Brailes Village Hall) and Albert Lee (at Sibford School).

OTOH, in nearby Banbury a couple of boozers that used to do music have gone to the wall. More to do with the economy than licensing laws.

We should copy our French cousins. They simply ignore the laws they don't like - and their cops have got better things to do than bust folkies and bluesers.

we've had three or four gigs cancelled in pubs recently, but all have said its down to the economic climate. Im not sure wh ythat matters as we'd be bringing punters in, weather or not they want to risk crediting the PA and sound guys or not like, i dont know!

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='544206' date='Jul 18 2009, 06:47 PM']We should copy our French cousins. They simply ignore the laws they don't like - and their cops have got better things to do than bust folkies and bluesers.[/quote]

Yeah but their music's s..t though. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='544206' date='Jul 18 2009, 06:47 PM']- and their cops have got better things to do than bust folkies and bluesers.[/quote]

...so have ours...but the government would rather they do something easy like persecute musicians and gig goers.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='544239' date='Jul 18 2009, 07:25 PM']Yeah but their music's s..t though. :)[/quote]

Jean Michel Jarre, Little Bob Story, Johnny Halliday, er... Inspector Maigret - yeah, you may be right. But they still have a cracking blues, r'n'b circuit. Them and the Belgians.

Any hot tips from any French BC-ers?

Edited by skankdelvar