Why become a member? ×

Sei Jazz 5..Blown away...Pics

bubinga5

I recently bought a Sei Jazz 5...I played it this evening and was blown away...First off its the most comfortable bass ive ever played, partly because of the shallow heel,and carved out inside horn, and because of the weight, just so light its so easy to play.. I like to play alot of Gospel type runs to warm up, that on my Lakland are a handful but on the Sei they just seem to flow much easier, partly because of the string spacing..I also think the tone has alot to do with it,as it just makes you want to play it that much more......

A previous owner (Gwilim) installed a U Retro and i love it..A multitude of tonal variants from Dub to fingerstyle honk..it really is a very comprehensive unit..It gives you so many options...My favorite is the treble up, mids rolled off and some bass to give some gospel slap tones..

I put some DR's (the only string for me) on it and its seriously smoking!! Awsome punch and zing from the high end..I have a EBS Multicomp on the way, and ive got a feeling this is going to be the best sound ive ever heard from an electric bass....

.Ive played quite a few high,ish end basses but i really feel that a bass like this is what a high end bass is all about...I do think this is the bass that i will come back to every time...It so suits my style of playing...

What do these luthiers do to an instrument to make them so much more playable than say an off the shelf bass...Martin Peterson is a very clever man...I have a new respect for luthiers of this caliber...

I feel so at home on this bass...ok... im just going to put it to bed...

Thanks molan

Edited by bubinga5

I don't think the quality of Sei's work has ever been in doubt, the attention to detail and the execution is stunning.

If you can get the bass out of its case and plug it straight in for work, then you will have a truly memorable bass, IMV and up there with the best of the best.

I'd like to play a bass built to that kind of spec, but in the bands I play with I would look like a complete tosser.

So it's back to finding good examples of "classic" basses for me. I'm still trying to find a 5 that doesn't look like a 5. Closest I saw so far was a Status Groove, weirdly enough.

Edited by thisnameistaken

I have a Sei Jazz, had it a while, usualy start getting some kind of GAS at this point, but it is the first bass I have had for a long time that hasn't took me down that road, and at this point I don't see that happening!!

The playability is great, feels so nice, I do have a few niggly issues with the electronics in it, but plans are in place to fix that, probably with an Audere pre and eventually some Nordstrand p/ups, not sure which ones yet. I also have coil taps on both my p/ups, keep knocking the switches, so I'm thinking only the bridge p/up will be tapped next time round as that is the p/up that will benfit my sound the most.

I also have a multicomp on my board, but use it with my fretless more than my Sei

Through a TD650 and 2 4x10's it sounds the nuts, very focused sound

Tony

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='542868' date='Jul 17 2009, 08:12 AM']I have a Sei Jazz, had it a while, usualy start getting some kind of GAS at this point, but it is the first bass I have had for a long time that hasn't took me down that road, and at this point I don't see that happening!!

The playability is great, feels so nice, I do have a few niggly issues with the electronics in it, but plans are in place to fix that, probably with an Audere pre and eventually some Nordstrand p/ups, not sure which ones yet. I also have coil taps on both my p/ups, keep knocking the switches, so I'm thinking only the bridge p/up will be tapped next time round as that is the p/up that will benfit my sound the most.

I also have a multicomp on my board, but use it with my fretless more than my Sei

Through a TD650 and 2 4x10's it sounds the nuts, very focused sound

Tony[/quote]
HEy Bubinga 5!

How many basses have you got now?? Yep those Sei basses are well built and sound great, although the one i tried a while back did sound a little to middly for me, but nowdays you can make a bass sound like whatever you like! Enjoy it. I thought the sadowsky u sold me was awsome but could not live with the vinatge vibe. I think this funkmister i have now is pretty unbelivable in all departments, but will get it set up soon for me. Maybe post some pics of the bass?

ATB

Rich.

Edited by greyparrot

Hi Bubinga 5, I thought you'd like it! Sei Jazzers are the state of the art in modern Js for me (well, those and Sado's) I was playing my four string last night and it's just so comfortable, fast and easy to move around on (and light!) It's just a plug and play bass too - no fiddling around. I know this is getting repetitive, but Martin is doing some of the finest work in the world IMO.

Hi too to Rich - sorry I've not been in touch - I hope that all is going well!

[quote name='greyparrot' post='542872' date='Jul 17 2009, 08:17 AM']HEy Bubinga 5!

How many basses have you got now?? Yep those Sei basses are well built and sound great, although the one i tried a while back did sound a little to middly for me, but nowdays you can make a bass sound like whatever you like! Enjoy it. I thought the sadowsky u sold me was awsome but could not live with the vinatge vibe. I think this funkmister i have now is pretty unbelivable in all departments, but will get it set up soon for me. Maybe post some pics of the bass?

ATB

Rich.[/quote]Hey Rich..Ha ha not too many..2 have gone...I dont really want loads of instruments,im just trying to wittle it down to basses that i cant find any faults in and i adore playing..The Fender CS being one and the Sei being the other. The stingray is pretty awsome too...I will eventually sell or trade off the others as i only need basses for the music im doing...

I cant help but want a Ken Smith or a Celinder mind..

[quote name='bubinga5' post='543078' date='Jul 17 2009, 11:51 AM']Hey Rich..Ha ha not too many..2 have gone...[b]I dont really want loads of instruments[/b],im just trying to wittle it down to basses that i cant find any faults in and i adore playing..The Fender CS being one and the Sei being the other. The stingray is pretty awsome too...I will eventually sell or trade off the others as i only need basses for the music im doing...

[b]I cant help but want a Ken Smith or a Celinder mind..[/b][/quote]

+1

One of the best quotes ever on Basschat.. sums up the bassist's eternal dilema!

Sei's are tremendous instruments and I'm very proud to own one. :)

My avatar is a photo of me in Sei HQ with my 7. The wife and I went down to see the bass after the woodworking had been done and she took this photo. A little while ago, Jen found that she could alter photos in her phone. A bit of button pushing later and voila! a new avatar.

Edited by 7string

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='543089' date='Jul 17 2009, 11:59 AM']I've got to ask! Why? :)

BB[/quote]

Indeed why too "jazzy" looking maybe which is why my sei is as black as a very black thing ! And it rocks too

Now, I like that...quite understated for MP.

I also liked the white one that was on here in the Sei pron thread..

I am between commisioning one and waiting a while or buying a stock Sadowsky which I can get straight away, pretty much
One the one hand, I REALLY like what MP can do..and it will be to my spec, and on the other...???

Maybe I could go for a paint job with a nice neck, etc etc ....decisions..!!

[quote name='JTUK' post='547896' date='Jul 22 2009, 05:52 PM']Now, I like that...quite understated for MP.

I also liked the white one that was on here in the Sei pron thread..

I am between commisioning one and waiting a while or buying a stock Sadowsky which I can get straight away, pretty much
One the one hand, I REALLY like what MP can do..and it will be to my spec, and on the other...???

Maybe I could go for a paint job with a nice neck, etc etc ....decisions..!![/quote]JTUK.. I have owned a Sadowsky and the Sei is alot better feel wise... IMO..Not sure about the NYC's though...which i presume your looking at..

Im not going comment on the Sadowsky tone though because its :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='547910' date='Jul 22 2009, 06:01 PM']JTUK.. I have owned a Sadowsky and the Sei is alot better feel wise... IMO..Not sure about the NYC's though...which i presume your looking at..

Im not going comment on the Sadowsky tone though because its :)[/quote]

Difficult to say really.. I am thinking about taking a punt on a Metro as a workhorse ( in a nice way ) ...but my Sei has a very slim neck which I am really used to.
Or I could take a holiday trip to the U.S as I have to go there anyway... or rather, I have a reason to go there and I could do the NYC import.

I could get MP to get close to the neck dims with a Sei Jazz but I guess his build time is 6-8 months now..
hence my quandry..

I guess I just fancy a change as there is no way I'd sell the Sei... but I like to have kit that I use, rather than sit around as a spare..

as you can tell..... undecided about what to do...