Why become a member? ×

Interesting Fender P moment

GreeneKing

I pass Promenade Music in Morecambe to and from work and occasionally pop in to see what gives.

The bass guy was off today and the guitar guy was helping out in covering the bass dept.

I tried a MIM P bass this afternoon, through a Markbass Jeff Berlin combo. It wasn't set up that well and was pretty meh...

Noticing that there was a white US P in the shop I helped myself as the guy had gone upstairs. It was marked as a Jaguar (!) and was reduced to £699. It was also a stupidly light body, so much so that it had a slight neck dive

Wow, what can I say. It sounded and played truly superbly. The tone through all it's range was to die for, subtle and rich not just the P thump that I expected. I kept on playing it just for the sheer pleasure of listening to it.

Having just sold my Ric I thought kinda hmm... a Fender and me? £699s a lot of dosh but it is quite stunning etc.

I asked if there was any chance of a slight price drop (guessing £699 for a US P is pretty low anyway) and was told no but that I'd get a hardcase etc.

Then I did a stupid thing, I asked about the label saying 'Jaguar' - doh. Seems wrong label was put on the bass and this particular white P is actually £1799 :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what model of US P bass goes for this sort of dosh but I've obviously got an expensive taste. It was superb.

I'm left wondering if I could have got away with paying £699 for it if I'd have kept my trap shut :)

Edited by GreeneKing

Erm... If an item displays an incorrect price which is LOWER than the correct price, then the retailer MUST sell it for the lower price. They are then quite entitled to amend the prices of any other incorrectly labelled items. It's the Sale Of Goods Act, and it's the law.

I'm guessing this probably doesn't help.

:)

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='539530' date='Jul 13 2009, 06:14 PM']Erm... If an item displays an incorrect price which is LOWER than the correct price, then the retailer MUST sell it for the lower price. They are then quite entitled to amend the prices of any other incorrectly labelled items. It's the Sale Of Goods Act, and it's the law.

:)[/quote]

Sorry but that's not right. The price an item is displayed at is what's called an invitation to treat and not a contract offer. The offer is when you offer to buy, which the seller can then accept or reject. Anything priced incorrectly they can just refuse your offer to buy at that price and amend the price.

So if they're daft enough to accept your offer to buy at that price, fine. They have no legal obligation to sell at the advertised price though, if it's clearly incorrect.

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='539530' date='Jul 13 2009, 06:14 PM']Erm... If an item displays an incorrect price which is LOWER than the correct price, then the retailer MUST sell it for the lower price. They are then quite entitled to amend the prices of any other incorrectly labelled items. It's the Sale Of Goods Act, and it's the law.

Not true im afraid. If they price it incorrectly you cant force them to sell it to you at the lower price. The precision had a Jaguar price ticket on which is different to being deliberately misleading, in which case its a case for Trading Standards.

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='539530' date='Jul 13 2009, 06:14 PM']Erm... If an item displays an incorrect price which is LOWER than the correct price, then the retailer MUST sell it for the lower price. They are then quite entitled to amend the prices of any other incorrectly labelled items. It's the Sale Of Goods Act, and it's the law.[/quote]
I'm pretty certain that doesn't actually fly... A retailer is perfectly within their rights to withdraw any item from sale at any time - they don't [i]have[/i] to sell you anything. You should also note that this item was not actually described correctly with a lower price tag, it had the price tag of a [i]different item[/i]. I'm also fairly confident that upon (or prior to) ringing up the item for sale, the error would have been spotted, so don't kick yourself too hard!

Edit: Hah - loads of people got in there before me! Wasted post!

Edited by danlea

Hah !

My Dad ended up walking away from a former large box shifting store (rhymes with Pound Patrol !) with a brand new US Gretsch Firebird 6131 (RRP £1699) for £399. They had it marked as an Electromatic (Made in Korea), he even asked them if it was the right price and they said it was !

We eBayed it a few months later for just under a grand, nice profit there. Some shops deserve to lose money for employing idiots that don't know their posterier from their elbow.

[b]EDIT[/b]: Shops do not have to sell for an advertised price or even sell anything at all, it is an invitation to treat: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invitation_to_treat"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invitation_to_treat[/url]

[size=1](I knew that A-Level Business Studies would come in handy one day !)[/size]

[quote name='Machines' post='539551' date='Jul 13 2009, 06:28 PM']My Dad ended up walking away from a former large box shifting store (rhymes with Pound Patrol !) with a brand new US Gretsch Firebird 6131 (RRP £1699) for £399. They had it marked as an Electromatic (Made in Korea), he even asked them if it was the right price and they said it was ![/quote]
Now THAT'S what I call a result! :)

[quote name='Spartacus' post='539547' date='Jul 13 2009, 06:25 PM']Not true im afraid. If they price it incorrectly you cant force them to sell it to you at the lower price. The precision had a Jaguar price ticket on which is different to being deliberately misleading, in which case its a case for Trading Standards.[/quote]

I think I've been beaten to it by several others but to reiterate... this idea that a seller 'has' to let you have an item at a given price, even if they have incorrectly marked it so, is an urban myth.

I'd be swinging my foot to try and connect with my backside if I was you though Peter. :)

Like the others have said, wrong. A price tag means nothing. An invitation to treat, means they can accept, or otherwise, your offer to buy at that price, ie. they are inviting you to offer to buy it.

[quote name='silddx' post='539665' date='Jul 13 2009, 08:21 PM']Like the others have said, wrong. A price tag means nothing. An invitation to treat, means they can accept, or otherwise, your offer to buy at that price, ie. they are inviting you to offer to buy it.[/quote]

Okey-dokey.... Maybe it is an urban myth. Will check at work tomorrow...

:)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='539753' date='Jul 13 2009, 09:43 PM']You still no believe :)[/quote]

I'd always understood that what I posted was right enough (or I wouldn't have posted it!). I have the resources at hand at work to check for sure. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='539732' date='Jul 13 2009, 09:28 PM']Okey-dokey.... Maybe it is an urban myth. Will check at work tomorrow...

Mate, trust. I, like I suspect others here, studied some contract law. I can dig out the case if you want? :rolleyes:

Ok I have, [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_v_Bell"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_v_Bell[/url] Oh, and Wikipedia is correct in this instance.

Cheers,
Nigel

PS. You can actually get away with your way of thinking due to the ignorance of some shop staff.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='539665' date='Jul 13 2009, 08:21 PM']Like the others have said, wrong. A price tag means nothing. An invitation to treat, means they can accept, or otherwise, your offer to buy at that price, ie. they are inviting you to offer to buy it.[/quote]
All true. But as a side point, according to the Trading Standards guy who visited me, everything [b]has[/b] to have a price clearly displayed. Yes, even if it's the "wrong" price. :wacko:

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='539985' date='Jul 14 2009, 07:27 AM']All true. But as a side point, according to the Trading Standards guy who visited me, everything [b]has[/b] to have a price clearly displayed. Yes, even if it's the "wrong" price. :wacko:[/quote]

Huh? I Ive seen tonnes of shops with no price tags - if you have to ask you cant afford. :)