Why become a member? ×

Remembering to unplug

sdgrsr400

A mate bought a Precision a few years back, and after a week the thing is farting away. So rather irate, he returns to the shop.

"You've sold me a duff bass mate."

"Er, have you changed the battery?"

"What battery...?"

:)

Edited by Musky

Actually, what I'd like is if the "pull-for-passive" switch would disconnect the battery (I have confirmed it doesn't on my Lakland). I reckon I could more easily get into the habit of using that as an on-off switch. Maybe there would be switch-on thumps if it operated that way...

If you happen to forget to unplug, make sure you at least have a good quality
alkaline battery in there such as, as previously mentioned, a Duracell Plus or Ultra or similar.
Even left plugged in, I would expect more than 2 days use (unless of course the battery is at the end of it's life!).
I always keep a couple of fresh batteries in my gig box too, along with a battery checker.
(My wireless battery pack goes through far more 9v's than my bass ever does).

[quote name='ashevans09' post='536129' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:20 AM']Ah! Those things eat batteries! One of the reasons I've switched back to cables, can't afford it lol.[/quote]
Yeh, I'm not averse to going wired when needs must.
But the less spaghetti around my feet, the better!
And when I have room, I do like to run around a bit... :)

[quote name='Stingray5' post='536116' date='Jul 8 2009, 11:44 PM']If you happen to forget to unplug, make sure you at least have a good quality
alkaline battery in there such as, as previously mentioned, a Duracell Plus or Ultra or similar.
Even left plugged in, I would expect more than 2 days use (unless of course the battery is at the end of it's life!).
I always keep a couple of fresh batteries in my gig box too, along with a battery checker.
(My wireless battery pack goes through far more 9v's than my bass ever does).[/quote]

+1

Just get used to unplugging your bass... also between setting up and playing and between sets.

My bass wireless transmitter lasts a good few gigs and has a battery status indicator so I can check it before setting foot on stage :)

Our radio mics use 9v PP3's though and eat them up . We've found the best longevity/cost balance to be B&Q's own brands .. they seem to do two gigs easily, three sometimes.
We started out using rechargables in the mics but they just don't last a gig, even good ones.

Doesn't anyone use rechargeable batteries? For anything that eats up batteries, be it wireless kit, pedals or active basses that aren't unplugged the trick is to have a decent number of backups and a recharging kit then you just recylcle them. Works out far cheaper in the long run, especially things like 9V batteries. I even use them on my wireless Samson transmitter and that only uses a tiny AAA job! Rechargers that have multiple inputs for 9V to AAA batteries are reasonably cheap now.

I use 9V rechargeables on wireless gear (as does Mrs Zero for her wireless mic), and 9V Duracell/Procell or other long-life PP3 for the basses. I also use a Tanglewood tuner which takes a 9V battery so I have an emergency spare...

I've got into the habit of pulling the lead part-out of the amp and unplugging it from the bass every time I take the bass off. It seems to work, all but one of my basses are active and the batteries last ages.

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='536263' date='Jul 9 2009, 10:43 AM']TBH, what I'd really like is a little miniature switch for ON/OFF. That way the bass can be left plugged in all the time. I mean, how hard can it be? Why don't the manufacturers do this?[/quote]

Because it's not a complex task to take the lead out? I do with every guitar and bass I own, whether they are active or not.

Most (if not all) active basses are switched on through using a stereo socket as the output, and bridging between the ring and sleeve connections to connect the battery to ground. So what you could do is make up an instrument lead using a mono jack at one end and a stereo one at the other, with screen going to sleeve, and then wire a switch in between ring and sleeve connections on the plug.

Alternatively, just unplug it...

Yeah, sorry, what I meant to say was that with continual plugging and unplugging the socket can get quite loose over time. :)

I guess that leaving an instrument plugged in until the battery dies is a bit like riding off with the disc lock on. Everyone does it. Once. :rolleyes:

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='536265' date='Jul 9 2009, 10:44 AM']Because it's not a complex task to take the lead out? I do with every guitar and bass I own, whether they are active or not.[/quote]

Lead out at all times when said bass is not round neck - u trip over that cable and ur pride and joy is going down (and not in the good way!)

BB

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='536296' date='Jul 9 2009, 11:15 AM']....Lead out at all times when said bass is not round neck - u trip over that cable and ur pride and joy is going down (and not in the good way!)....[/quote]
+1. But, why would you have your bass plugged in when you're not using it?

Currently my battery gets changed every 12 months, the old one goes into the tuner and the old tuner batteries go into the smoke alarms.

[quote name='KevB' post='536250' date='Jul 9 2009, 10:27 AM']Doesn't anyone use rechargeable batteries? For anything that eats up batteries, be it wireless kit, pedals or active basses that aren't unplugged the trick is to have a decent number of backups and a recharging kit then you just recylcle them. Works out far cheaper in the long run, especially things like 9V batteries. I even use them on my wireless Samson transmitter and that only uses a tiny AAA job! Rechargers that have multiple inputs for 9V to AAA batteries are reasonably cheap now.[/quote]

We did but our mics eat them and we were getting those "low power" farts and pops by half way through the second set ..

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='536263' date='Jul 9 2009, 10:43 AM']TBH, what I'd really like is a little miniature switch for ON/OFF. That way the bass can be left plugged in all the time. I mean, how hard can it be? Why don't the manufacturers do this?[/quote]

Just do it yourself - can't be that hard. I am sure there's a wiring diagramme around somewhere.

Edit: All you'd need is a slider switch in your battery cover to break the red wire to the battery.

Mind you then you'd have to remember to switch it off ..
:)

Edited by OldGit

Even once you get the habit I find it just takes an interrupted practice and you'll be cursing the next morning when you see the cable still in.

I'm sorely tempted to get my Ibanez SRX400 rewired as passive, particularly as both pots are real crackley now...