Why become a member? ×

LIGHTWEIGHT AND COMPACT!

Musicman20

Ive been doing a lot of research, testing thing out, etc etc.

As much as a lightweight 4x10 is only 65 lbs, thats still not THAT light, and its fairly 'big' for a cab, (although im aware the Berg is pretty compact)

So....my mission is to find the ultimate small, lightweight, and amazingly nice sounding cab setup. I have the big loud rock cabs. Yes, one of them at once is enough for small gigs, but as Im getting into styles that arent so heavy, or loud, Id like something quite compact.

I will be using a LM3 mainly....keeping it all small and light.

My options are:

Schroeder 1212L / BMF
Bareface Compact
Mark Bass (the smaller cabs)
Or....go ultra awesome and get two Bergantino AE112s. One at a time.

I have been converted into a lover of all things 12. Yes, I know the whole concept of a 12s sound is not so concrete now, but, I just like them.

If anyone has any other ideas, like Epifani, etc, let me know.

I've got a some saving to do now though, as my car bills were quite high. Plus im buying a small caddy type van soon once this one sells, to help with moving gear.

Any ideas are welcome. Im aware this topic has be done to death. My tonal quest in my head keeps saying 'go Berg, and it'll be awesome'.

Edited by Musicman20

I was all set for a Schroeder. As you mentioned, Jorg seems to be getting some flack on recent quality issues. That worries me, being all the way here in the UK. I know they are non-mass produced, to an extent, but I still expect the cabs to be 100% correct. I know he makes some great cabs, but Ive heard quite a few problems with cabs not being straight, poor inputs for the cables, etc etc.

Musicman20.

Of the cabs you mention I've owned a 1212L, a pair of Markbass 210 traveller, a Markbass 151 traveller and a Barefaced Compact. I also have a Markbass cmd121 combo. (The smallest one, 1 x 12)

I also have a Markbass LM II.

I am in a minority who like the sound of the Markbass cabs and a single 2 x 10 traveller is good for small pub gigs as is the combo.

I just received my Compact a couple of weeks back and we don't gig in July due to holidays so I've only tried the Compact at home with the LM II.

I have no doubt that the 1212L will easily do the job for you but I really think the sound of the Compact is more versitile and seems as loud or close to it as the 1212L. Although the Compact is a tiny bit bigger than the 1212L it's about 10 lbs lighter and a better shape to carry.

I'm looking forward to gigging the Compact but I already feel confident that it will be a brilliant cab.

When I consider weight, portabilty, sound, volume and price I am bound to say I think the Compact is the best allround cab of those you mentioned.

Hope this ramble is of some help.

Frank

+1. It has to be the Compact in my opinion (I own one)- you've got every other conceivable gigging situation covered with that cab collection! :)

I have previously owned Berg gear, and have heard the AE cabs you're looking at- in terms of sound quality, I think that the Barefaced Compact can hang with those cabs no problem! Would be a great match with your LM3 too...

Ive been looking at Berg AE series cabs for about a year. I'd love a 410 like yours Simon, but I'd love something modular. The AE series seem to be amazing.

Again, ive got a lot more testing to do.

12s just work for me....although thats probably all just a notion thats in my head.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='534256' date='Jul 6 2009, 10:59 PM']Just how 'small' is the AE410? It is indeed cheaper than 2 x AE112s! I dont want the bulk...thats what I want to stay away from.[/quote]

It is really tiny for a 410.

It fits in my BMW 3 series boot. To put that in context, not only does no other 410 do that, but the HT115 and th HT210 dont either. The ae210s and ae112s also fit in said boot (actually havent tried the ae112 but I've seen and lifted them and the important dimensions sure look like they'll go in).

It is remarkably shallow. Height and width are very tight to the minimum possible for a 410 (the cone size and wall thickness dictates this). It is a comfortable lift as a result of its relative compactness. You wouldnt want to take it to a gig on public transport by any means, but the usual negotiation of ramps/stairs stages isnt too much bother for me on my own. You can only just squeeze through an open door with it. Worst case scenario you would need to stick it on a trolley with your head and all else on top. As a two man lift its easy.

One thing to note about barefaced, they are not compact as single cabs, they just dont weigh anything. They are compact compared to a stack (with which they compete for tone and volume), but they are a very full sized single cab.

The actual dimensions from the Berg site:-

I have 2 Epifani UL 112's and an Epifani UL310. Both rigs give more than enough volume for the gigs I do - corporate/weddings/clubs/original,etc. If I didn't need to have 2 single 12" cabs to make the car easier to pack with my upright, I'd have bought a 2x12. The 310 is my back-up, and it can hang in with the 12's for the low-end.

I've been doing a lot of research on this. I do a lot of local gigs and get to them on the bus. I had a Markbass CMD 121P which was great but the speaker really let it down IMO. If you A/B it with the internal speaker and then an external, the difference is astounding !
I had an EBS HD350 and two Neo cabs which rarely left my home so I decided to sell this rig and get something lightweight with a great sound.
I settled on the Markbass F500 head. I'm still trying cabs but so far I've tried EBS, Schroeder 15+L, Markbass ' yuk ' & Epifani UL112.
The Epifani blew everything away by miles. Super tight low end, clear mids and classy highs. All frequencies are clear and level and it only weighs 30Lbs ! Alex from the Gallery also highly recommends the Markbass/Epifani setup.
I haven't tried the Compact yet and The Berg's are a little to expensive for me at the moment although I hear great things about them.
So basically, check out the Epifani cabs would be my recommendation.

[quote name='flippyfloop' post='534738' date='Jul 7 2009, 02:58 PM']I've been doing a lot of research on this. I do a lot of local gigs and get to them on the bus. I had a Markbass CMD 121P which was great but the speaker really let it down IMO. If you A/B it with the internal speaker and then an external, the difference is astounding !
I had an EBS HD350 and two Neo cabs which rarely left my home so I decided to sell this rig and get something lightweight with a great sound.
I settled on the Markbass F500 head. I'm still trying cabs but so far I've tried EBS, Schroeder 15+L, Markbass ' yuk ' & Epifani UL112.
The Epifani blew everything away by miles. Super tight low end, clear mids and classy highs. All frequencies are clear and level and it only weighs 30Lbs ! Alex from the Gallery also highly recommends the Markbass/Epifani setup.
I haven't tried the Compact yet and The Berg's are a little to expensive for me at the moment although I hear great things about them.
So basically, check out the Epifani cabs would be my recommendation.[/quote]

Yeah, Epifani have been an option for quite a while. Ive never had chance to play through one yet which is a shame.

Epifani have rep for having a deep pillowy bass sound and not much in the way of agression (esp comparing like for like 410s)

I think this may tick a lot of the boxes you have, except the final tone.

Just a thought....

Not knocking Epifani one bit btw, just not sure they are right for you, I think you should definitely try before you buy if at all possible!

[quote name='51m0n' post='534942' date='Jul 7 2009, 05:35 PM']Epifani have rep for having a deep pillowy bass sound and not much in the way of agression (esp comparing like for like 410s)

I think this may tick a lot of the boxes you have, except the final tone.

Just a thought....

Not knocking Epifani one bit btw, just not sure they are right for you, I think you should definitely try before you buy if at all possible![/quote]

How do the Genz Benz NEO cabs compare to the Epi cabs? Currently testing an Epi 310 and its a very nice tight punchy sound with the Shuttle 6. Not sure to get the Epi cab or the Genz Benz Neo 212 cab.

Edited by Linus27

Problem is, Schroeder 1212L's seems almost perfect for the price and size, but im worried about the finish on it (heard some come out not square, bad speakon connectors etc etc).

I dont want to take the plunge and think 'it should have been Berg'.

Edited by Musicman20

I've not tried any of the other combo's you've mentioned but I own a mark Bass mini cmd121p and havn't got a bad thing to say about it. It's the size of a 14" portable pretty much and weighs about the same and the sound that comes out of it is crazy. Everyone is always amazed when they see how small it is and what volume manages to come out of it not to mention the quality of sound. Infact my singer/guitarist in our band is a bit jealous I think and wishes they made a guitar version, and somebody I went to audition for text me after I'd said his band was not for me asking what the make and model was of my bass amp were so that the new bass player they'd got could go and try one. Give one a go mate I think you'll be impressed.

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the input; I appreciate everyone’s views on the whole lightweight scenario.

I discussed the Schroeder 1212L at length with a few guys on here, and it seems awesome. Especially for its size. The price tag isn’t too bad. My concern is that recently the Schroe stuff has taken a bashing. A few guys have told me to be careful, and have complained that the cabs were not squared off (thus didn’t sit flat correctly!). This is something that I could really do without; I’m quite picky with things like that, so I’d never be happy with it. I don’t mind the mid-hump to be fair, I think I’d grow to dig it quite a lot. Also, something about cheap inputs for the speaker inputs?!

I exchanged some PM’s with Simon about the Berg AE410 some weeks back, and I’ve discussed the HS410 with Geoff a fair bit. Both cabs seem awesome and compact. But….I’m still not left with a really compact and/or modular rig. I know most cabs cannot keep up with the Berg 4 ohm 4x10 whump….Im prepared to accept that. What I really want is a pretty loud, small, well constructed and light cab. What I really need is to see the Berg 4x10s next to a normal sized 4x10! Then it would make up my mind.

I think I might check out Finbar’s band this weekend in Grimsby….he has two Schro 1212L’s! I will have a listen, see what they sound like, get his opinion etc etc.

I then have options of possible going down the Tecamp S212 route. They are smallish and VERY light cabs. They look very well constructed, and the price isn’t too excessive. I almost talked myself into getting more Aguilar gear. 2 x DB112….but…I have a lot of Aguilar stuff already. They are very well priced.

The Bergantino cabs have always been something I have wanted. For a long time! I have decided the NV series is too much for me. I already have big cabs…and I am happy with them. I would like a Berg to either be modular, or be small/small-medium and be a one cab solution.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='535881' date='Jul 8 2009, 05:48 PM']Hey everyone!

Thanks for the input; I appreciate everyone’s views on the whole lightweight scenario.

I discussed the Schroeder 1212L at length with a few guys on here, and it seems awesome. Especially for its size. The price tag isn’t too bad. My concern is that recently the Schroe stuff has taken a bashing. A few guys have told me to be careful, and have complained that the cabs were not squared off (thus didn’t sit flat correctly!). This is something that I could really do without; I’m quite picky with things like that, so I’d never be happy with it. I don’t mind the mid-hump to be fair, I think I’d grow to dig it quite a lot. Also, something about cheap inputs for the speaker inputs?!

I exchanged some PM’s with Simon about the Berg AE410 some weeks back, and I’ve discussed the HS410 with Geoff a fair bit. Both cabs seem awesome and compact. But….I’m still not left with a really compact and/or modular rig. I know most cabs cannot keep up with the Berg 4 ohm 4x10 whump….Im prepared to accept that. What I really want is a pretty loud, small, well constructed and light cab. What I really need is to see the Berg 4x10s next to a normal sized 4x10! Then it would make up my mind.

I think I might check out Finbar’s band this weekend in Grimsby….he has two Schro 1212L’s! I will have a listen, see what they sound like, get his opinion etc etc.

I then have options of possible going down the Tecamp S212 route. They are smallish and VERY light cabs. They look very well constructed, and the price isn’t too excessive. I almost talked myself into getting more Aguilar gear. 2 x DB112….but…I have a lot of Aguilar stuff already. They are very well priced.

The Bergantino cabs have always been something I have wanted. For a long time! I have decided the NV series is too much for me. I already have big cabs…and I am happy with them. I would like a Berg to either be modular, or be small/small-medium and be a one cab solution.[/quote]

Buy a Berg and be done with it. I want one as well. Berg Berg Berg Berg!