Why become a member? ×

Plectrum players/Custom builds.

Shockwave

I play with a pick because I always have. I can play a bit of fingerstyle but I don't like doing it much. I prefer to keep things simple.

My theory is us picksters, being less sensitive animals, also like to fiddle with our basses. Changing pickups, swapping necks, etc. You don't really want the screwdriver to slip when you're installing a new volume knob on 3 grands worth of unobtanium oil finished Nicaraguan Mojo wood.

To be fair, I find that the custom build lovers will fix and mod their basses as much as anyone...perhaps because they are such a "particular" bunch that they continue to quest for perfection...

I'd love a custom built bass, but personally I quite like flipping my basses after owning them for a while, and there are so many nice basses out there that I still have to own!

I play with a pick because the fingers of my right hand don't function very well independently. This could be because I'm semi left-handed, or part of the same co-ordination issue that means I can't hit a ball with a tennis racquet - or if I do hit it, I can't predict where it's going to go. This doesn't seem to have much connection with my choice of bass, which is mainly determined by what I like the look of on eBay on the rare occasions that I have any money.

Well - definitely no custom builds for me! At practice tonight I was afflicted with an horrific pain in the back of my right hand when playing - so I had no alternative other than returning to the pick. I was a little bit concerned that the subtlety & nuance of my playing would suffer as a result, but soon discovered that my bass parts require no subtlety whatsoever! It was surprisingly liberating.

Looking forward to an hour and a half of plastic-fisted bludgeoning on Friday night then. :)

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='536073' date='Jul 8 2009, 10:42 PM']Well - definitely no custom builds for me! At practice tonight I was afflicted with an horrific pain in the back of my right hand when playing - so I had no alternative other than returning to the pick. I was a little bit concerned that the subtlety & nuance of my playing would suffer as a result, but soon discovered that my bass parts require no subtlety whatsoever! It was surprisingly liberating.

Looking forward to an hour and a half of plastic-fisted bludgeoning on Friday night then. :)

J.[/quote]

Welcome back to the pick brotherhood.

Just the one PP3! ;-)

Most of the time I run it in passive.

Interestingly people only ever comment on the phallic aspect of my Gus basses when I turn up with the ones with the chromed horns. The matt black Gus bass is exactly the same shape and construction, but because the horns are anodised black instead of chrome no-one ever notices!

how many custom mods are for pick players? Things like ramps are just for finger players, and the contouring of the body can be too as the arm is in a different position. My custom build has all sorts of things going on, that wouldn't be happening if I was a pick player, they wouldn't be needed or wanted.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='533249' date='Jul 5 2009, 07:48 PM']You don't really want the screwdriver to slip when you're installing a new volume knob on 3 grands worth of unobtanium oil finished Nicaraguan Mojo wood.[/quote]

:)

If we could produce them or find them somewhere, I think the stats would show that the percentage of players who use plectrums is about the same in terms of whether they play stock, off-the-shelf basses or custom build basses..

Though I do think that Rob may be onto something with his OP.. and maybe there's a secret bass society consisting of mainly jazzers & slappers who own at least 5 custom built coffee table basses each, that are stored in vacuum-sealed impregnable vaults inside houses built in specially designated 'plectrum free zones'..

Requirements for me for a bass that I'm going to play with a pick:

1. Unhindered access to all 24 frets on the neck. That means actually having 24 frets and no heel or neck/body joint before the 24th fret.

2. A comfortable bridge for palm-muting. No Fender-style screws sticking into my hand once I've got the action suitably low.

3. No sharp edges on the body where my forearm is going to go. Important for me because my arm action is far more aggressive playing with a pick than when I play finger style.

4. Looks great when I'm up on stage giving it my "rock god" pose!

[quote name='charic' post='537702' date='Jul 11 2009, 08:56 AM']contouring is just as welcome
Pickups can be modded
Bridges can vary tone and playability alot
Pre-amps
Woods
Design aspects aesthetically.

Plenty to get on with :)[/quote]

but they apply to bass playing and are not necessarily specific to pick playing.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='537770' date='Jul 11 2009, 10:53 AM']Requirements for me for a bass that I'm going to play with a pick:

1. Unhindered access to all 24 frets on the neck. That means actually having 24 frets and no heel or neck/body joint before the 24th fret.

2. A comfortable bridge for palm-muting. No Fender-style screws sticking into my hand once I've got the action suitably low.

3. No sharp edges on the body where my forearm is going to go. Important for me because my arm action is far more aggressive playing with a pick than when I play finger style.

4. Looks great when I'm up on stage giving it my "rock god" pose![/quote]

I'll give you 2 & 3, although I sometimes palm mute with fingers and prefer a comfortable bridge.