Why become a member? ×

Whats your favourite Motown and Stax record?

pegman1

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='527043' date='Jun 28 2009, 08:36 PM']Most Sunday mornings I crack it on in my bass room and play along with my P-bass. Great stuff.[/quote]

Good call, I really like jammin along to How sweet it is to be loved by you. Great tune.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='527030' date='Jun 28 2009, 08:24 PM']Ottis Redding - Sitting on the Dock of the Bay.

Not sure if that counts.[/quote]

It's a Stax classic so it ought to! :)

For me (& it [b]will [/b]change tomorrow!) Get Ready from the Motown vaults & Green Onions from Stax

As Nick says -- Difficult question there's so many! All of the same top quality.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Stevie Wonder.
Dancing in the Street - Martha & the Vandellas.
I heard it through the Grapevine - Marvin Gaye.
Road Runner - Junior Walker & the Allstars.
If I were a Carpenter - Four Tops.

Balcro

Apart from all the corkers above,

Isley Brothers - "This Old Heart of Mine (is Weak for You)"
Diana Ross - "I'm Still Waiting" (cheesy, I know, but there's just [i]something[/i] about it...)
Martha & the Vandellas - "Nowhere to Run"

And I've got a very soft spot for R. Dean Taylor's "There's a Ghost in My House". Cracking bit of Northern soul. It comes across kinda like a punk record, but a decade too early. In fact, I think The Fall covered it...

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='527261' date='Jun 28 2009, 11:35 PM']Neither Stax or Motown but similar ilk:

Jackie Wilson - Sweetest Feeling.[/quote]
Well, if we're going OT (and I'm not saying we should), then I'd give a shout-out to Erma Franklin's "Piece of My Heart". Coincidentally, she also did a corking version of "Sweetest Feeling".

Motown - Ain't No Mountain High Enough the full length Diana Ross version, just listen to Jamerson on this especially from about 4:30 onwards:

Stax - Watcha See is Watcha Get - mostly for the vocal harmony parts but also for the fabulous groove:

Although in this version the suits and dancing are pretty impressive too!

And before anyone mentions it I do know that the Dramatics original single was actually released on Volt rather than Stax :rolleyes:

EDIT - Given this weekend's events maybe I can add some early Jackson 5 songs as 'bonus' Motown choices?

Check Jamerson on both of these (plus some more great dancing on the Soul Tarin coverage :)

Edited by molan