Why become a member? ×

Getting better

skillbass

Hi,

New to this site and just wanted some tips on gettin better at the bass. I am 15 and already pretty good. I would say I am as good as most pros and me dad sais i am the best he has heard. I am looking to get some session work soon, my dad knows some people he sais.

Anyone have any tips for someone starting out playing bass proffessionally?

P.S. I only want to play pop/country stuff.

Cheers,

Zak

[quote name='skillbass' post='520788' date='Jun 22 2009, 02:46 PM']Hi,

New to this site and just wanted some tips on gettin better at the bass. I am 15 and already pretty good. I would say I am as good as most pros and me dad sais i am the best he has heard. I am looking to get some session work soon, my dad knows some people he sais.

Anyone have any tips for someone starting out playing bass proffessionally?

P.S. I only want to play pop/country stuff.

Cheers,

Zak[/quote]
:)

Are you a reader? That's a good skill to have - and it will give you the edge when it comes to getting work.

Don't pigeon hole yourself to styles. A good session player should be able to do it all. (And be able to pretend that you are enjoying it!)

Remember - there's always something to learn!

[quote name='skillbass' post='520788' date='Jun 22 2009, 02:46 PM']New to this site and just wanted some tips on gettin better at the bass. I am 15 and already pretty good. I would say I am as good as most pros and me dad sais i am the best he has heard. I am looking to get some session work soon, my dad knows some people he sais.

Anyone have any tips for someone starting out playing bass proffessionally?[/quote]

My first tip would be: compliments don't count when they come from your friends or family. I think that session work would be an excellent way of finding out, from an impartial source, how good you are.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='520815' date='Jun 22 2009, 03:09 PM']My first tip would be: compliments don't count when they come from your friends or family.[/quote]

Reminds me of the truly terrible X-Factor hopefuls with the parents waiting outside the door who say they're the best singer they've ever heard and Simon would be a fool not put them through! :)

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='520815' date='Jun 22 2009, 03:09 PM']My first tip would be: compliments don't count when they come from your friends or family. I think that session work would be an excellent way of finding out, from an impartial source, how good you are.

S.P.[/quote]

Agreed, even if I do also sense a windup.

I like mum and dad being complimentary about my playing at gigs and stuff, but they're hardly impartial judges now, are they. You only have to look at some of the hopeless talent on recent TV shows to see the affect of parents having absolute faith in their children, blind sighted by their love for their kids.

Here's Guy Pratt on being a session player
[url="http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70:guy-pratt-pink-floyd-issue-26&catid=43:artist-interviews&Itemid=70"]Bass Guitar Magazine - Guy Pratt on Sessions.[/url]

:) Oh, it put a lil' smile on my face, but we shouldn't 'bully' him with offensive jokes - guy's young, a few compliments made their job, and we have what we have, don't we?..

Anyway, who said that 15er couldn't be a hell of a player? (Session worker is not a correct term here, but, you got my mind..) Edited by Faithless

Judging from screen name as well I would guess a wind up but that aside...

From what I gather, get some recordings of yourself done, and just do everything you can to get your name out and make friends because half the time it's who you know over anything else. Start locally and build up. Audition for everything you can find and advertise your services too.

And though I don't really do any session work this was the advice given by Mike Hurst over lunch with him about a year ago :) he's a really nice and genuine chap.

Edited by ashevans09

Learn to read dots and charts, so that it doesnt sound like you are reading at all.

Learn to improvise through changes

Learn to play in ALL styles, anyone set on a career as a session player can not limit themselves

Learn upright, it will double your calls

Get your name out by playing at local jams, in local bands.

Join the local music service and prove to people that you can read, and be very professional, a word from a pro or better yet being put forward to dep by a teacher is the best intro you will get...

Understand that you never ever know it all, behave accordingly.

What grade are you currently?

:) :rolleyes:
If you wanna be one of the lads as far as session's go ......
Get yourself sorted with a good recording set up and a FTP client. :lol:
Then you can do sessions in the nude while watching Eastenders.
Thats if you dad aint busy downloading 'Debbie does Dallas' and sniffing glue.

Garry

[quote name='skillbass' post='520952' date='Jun 22 2009, 06:03 PM']cheers guys, Some good ideas for me. Ill try and listen to more styles! (and c if anyone else thinks im good other than my dad...)

P.S. I can read but only like fiction stuff really..

Zak[/quote]

Best learn to write too init

[quote name='OldGit' post='520840' date='Jun 22 2009, 03:47 PM']Here's Guy Pratt on being a session player
[url="http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70:guy-pratt-pink-floyd-issue-26&catid=43:artist-interviews&Itemid=70"]Bass Guitar Magazine - Guy Pratt on Sessions.[/url][/quote]
Great article - should be compulsory reading for everybody here, even the 15 year old prodigies!

[quote name='skillbass' post='520959' date='Jun 22 2009, 06:08 PM']:)[/quote]

Sorry.
It was the thoughts of an old bloke.
I'd suggest that if you want to get on in this business it's possibly best to use some archaic concepts such as punctuation, capital letters and full words rather than text speak.
But then again I don't arrange sessions so what do I know?

[quote name='OldGit' post='520994' date='Jun 22 2009, 06:38 PM']Sorry.
It was the thoughts of an old bloke.
I'd suggest that if you want to get on in this business it's possibly best to use some archaic concepts such as punctuation, capital letters and full words rather than text speak.
But then again I don't arrange sessions so what do I know?[/quote]

I dunno OG, but considering you're one of the supremos for band websites on here and know how to drum up much needed bookings for your band (and others), let alone all the experience you've got from being a gigging musician, I'd say there's no point listening to you, none at all :)

Edited by Buzz