Why become a member? ×

Should I be worried

Finbar

Okay, so I posted a bass for sale on another website, and received an email about it. Great, I thought. Here's how it went down:

[quote]Buyer: Is it still available?

Me: Yes it is!

Buyer: Thanks for your quick response, i will be offering you £200 for the postage cost via DHL, FEDEX, OR UPS, to my friend who has just been posted to INDIANA (USA) on a training course as i'm on leave to Asia soon and won't be able to receive the item here in UK. Do get back to me with the total cost and your Pay Pal e-mail so i can make payment straight away. I want you to send me Pay Pal Money Request as soon as you get this mail.

Thanks you for your help and support.[/quote]

Maybe I worry too much, and I hope this mail isn't from someone on here, or I'll feel like a douche. But it just doesn't sound quite right to me. I would just expect the buyer to sound a bit more interested in the bass. Not one mention of the bass itself at all. Can my ad be that good that no questions need to be asked about it or anything? And I don't expect everyone to have perfect English, and while its perfectly understandable, it seems almost like it has been run through a language converter or something in places. Actually, that wouldn't bother me, had I not had such a mountain of emails from wealthy Nigerian beneficiaries :)

If I receive a paypal payment and then withdraw it to my bank before shipping the bass, nothing can go wrong, right?

Edited by Finbar

For a moment I thought that the bass had already been posted.
Dunno why you never used this forum,tho' not my place to comment.
Anyway ,it does sound a bit ropey and I wouldn't part with bass until payment was made.

What part of Nigeria are you posting it to? :)
Did you really win the lottery? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Finbar' post='514747' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:06 PM']Okay, so I posted a bass for sale on another website, and received an email about it. Great, I thought. Here's how it went down:

Maybe I worry too much, and I hope this mail isn't from someone on here, or I'll feel like a douche. But it just doesn't sound quite right to me. I would just expect the buyer to sound a bit more interested in the bass. Not one mention of the bass itself at all. Can my ad be that good that no questions need to be asked about it or anything? And I don't expect everyone to have perfect English, and while its perfectly understandable, it seems almost like it has been run through a language converter or something in places. Actually, that wouldn't bother me, had I not had such a mountain of emails from wealthy Nigerian beneficiaries :)

If I receive a paypal payment and then withdraw it to my bank before shipping the bass, nothing can go wrong, right?[/quote]

I wouldnt do it mate.

Paypal can take money out of your bank account to recoup its money. If not just block the transfer from your account to your bank.

Seriously err on the side of caution.

I sent a reply just now asking a few questions. I asked for a shipping address so I could work out postage costs, whether he would be happy paying by cheque, and a couple of bass related questions just to see if the buyer actually knows what he's buying.

Response was:

[quote]Hi,
I did got your mail. I want you to ask DHL, FEDEX or UPS for the shipping cost of the item to my friend in USA. I want you to send me the final price for the item and get back to me with Paypal money request, i will make payments to you today via paypal without any further delay. I'm presently on leave to Asia for now, i'm sending the item to my friend in USA.[/quote]
Smells dodgier by the minute.

it sounds like a scam to me. I got a few of these when I advertised a bass on gumtree - the responses always talked about 'the item' rather than exactly what I was selling, leading me to think it was just spam spewed out to every ad to try and get personal details or whatever else it is spammers make loot from.
I'd avoid unless you can check it out thoroughly,
M

I'd check out the paypal t&c's as Im not sure if it's a fraudulent payment whether paypal can debit your account retrospectively if you have withdrawn the cash?

Why not ask some bassy type questions of the buyer: it should become apparent quite quickly if they are kosher?
How about "what type of bass do you currently play" or "what do you think of ...X?"

On another note, how much is the Bass you are selling? From reading their reply it appears they are offering £200 postage on top of the purchase price. Is it rare, does really it warrant their interest? Where are they based?

Sorry to sound negative but this does not sound kosher to me. They want you to send it to the USA where it will incur duty and the friend will then take it somewhere else when he gets back from Asia where it will incur duty....??? :)

Yeah, I'm not liking this talk of 'the item'.

Going to let it pass. Can wait for a proper sale :)

[quote name='magee' post='514770' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:24 PM']it sounds like a scam to me. I got a few of these when I advertised a bass on gumtree - the responses always talked about 'the item' rather than exactly what I was selling, leading me to think it was just spam spewed out to every ad to try and get personal details or whatever else it is spammers make loot from.
I'd avoid unless you can check it out thoroughly,
M[/quote]

I asked that exact question - what do you play currently - and it was ignored. That pretty much seals it for me.

Oh, and the bass is 1200. I don't think 200 would cover it plus duties to America.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='514772' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:25 PM']I'd check out the paypal t&c's as Im not sure if it's a fraudulent payment whether paypal can debit your account retrospectively if you have withdrawn the cash?

Why not ask some bassy type questions of the buyer: it should become apparent quite quickly if they are kosher?
How about "what type of bass do you currently play" or "what do you think of ...X?"

On another note, how much is the Bass you are selling? From reading their reply it appears they are offering £200 postage on top of the purchase price. Is it rare, does really it warrant their interest? Where are they based?

Sorry to sound negative but this does not sound kosher to me. They want you to send it to the USA where it will incur duty and the friend will then take it somewhere else when he gets back from Asia where it will incur duty....??? :)[/quote]

[quote name='iamapirate' post='514784' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:34 PM'][url="http://open.spotify.com/user/iamapirate/playlist/4xerYqG6uyEudMeDZqHIpC"]http://open.spotify.com/user/iamapirate/pl...6uyEudMeDZqHIpC[/url][/quote]

As I'm not signed up to spotify, would you care to expand? :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='514747' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:06 PM']....If I receive a paypal payment and then withdraw it to my bank before shipping the bass, nothing can go wrong, right?....[/quote]
This is a scam and they are trying to steal your money. Why try to play them at their own game? You won't win!