Why become a member? ×

Can get back to work now, didnt get the gig!

51m0n

Have an audition tonight for a local funk band with a small label deal. Would mean loads of decent gigs over summer and a second album afterwards.

I know I'm up against at least 2, maybe 3 other bassists too.

I just can not concentrate on work right now!!!

Edited by 51m0n

1st audition in 9 yrs, bound to do something or say something really stupid.

The material is right on the edge of my confort zone in terms of pure technical ability these days (which is a good thing).

Done about 20 hours practice in 5 days for this and still think that if am not really warmed up I'm going to suck :)

I wish I could give some useful advice but there isn't much. It's like job interviews - sometimes you walk in the door, it all clicks, everybody gets on and you get the gig. Sometimes you make a prat of yourself and you don't. It's all karma or something.

Go and buy a bottle of Kalms and good luck!!

Brilliant, good luck with it mate.

Cobblers to work, get your mind on more important matters. The main thing is to try and enjoy it, and more to the point, [i]LOOK[/i] like you're enjoying it, because if the band [i]like[/i] you and your vibe, they're more likely to take you on over some miserable git who is technically brillant.

HAVE FUN !!

[quote name='Rayman' post='513894' date='Jun 15 2009, 10:08 AM']Brilliant, good luck with it mate.

Cobblers to work, get your mind on more important matters. The main thing is to try and enjoy it, and more to the point, [i]LOOK[/i] like you're enjoying it, because if the band [i]like[/i] you and your vibe, they're more likely to take you on over some miserable git who is technically brillant.

HAVE FUN !![/quote]

I've always taken the view that you should *actually* enjoy it. If you get the gig then you'll probably see more of these people than the wife/girlfriend and the dog. If it feels strained and awkward... walk.

[quote name='Rayman' post='513894' date='Jun 15 2009, 10:08 AM']The main thing is to try and enjoy it, and more to the point, [i]LOOK[/i] like you're enjoying it, because if the band [i]like[/i] you and your vibe, they're more likely to take you on over some miserable git who is technically brillant.

HAVE FUN !![/quote]

plus the one

good luck !

Well the reason I'm doing it is cos I really dig the music, its rght up my street, really high energy deep funk, lots of chances to shine like a bass star without ever nicking the spot light :rolleyes: (read: no slap, lots of very fast grooves, super sharp horn stabs etc). Which of course also means its very high risk, cos there is equal chance to look like a bass twonk and muck everyone up :)

They do the best cover of Fire I've ever heard (IMO)!

Check them out:-

www.myspace.com/theimpellers

Thats what I'm talking about :lol:!!

Play the GROOVES; don't try and put anything clever in that will only increase your anxiety, increase the likelihood that you will fall on your arse and that you will reveal your shortcomings. Find the pocket and stay there, enjoy the groove. That's what the audience wants and the rest of teh band are the audience this time.

Say things like 'its my job to make the singer look good, nothing more and nothing less'; 'if the punters notice me, I am probably not doing my job properly'...

Absolutely Bilbo, super sound advice as always!

Anyone in the know should see this band and say they are clearly really on it.

Any bassist should see this band and say - crikey he's absolutely sharp as a tack and grooving as hard as a diamond

Any punter (and all the above) should see this band and have an uncontrollable urge to dance their arse off!

Really can not wait, even if I dont get the gig, I'm really looking forward to playing with them this evening :) :rolleyes:

You should recognise 2 things in my opinion.
1. you can't play you're best when not relaxed
2. you can (to a certain extent) control how relaxed you are.

You need enough tension to excite you but enough relaxation so that you can control your movements well. Think calmly about what you are going to play before you do it, prepare yourself mentally with slow and deliberate movements when setting up, plugging in etc

Also a huge +1 on what Bilbo said, you are there to show a contribution to a band so do that... Make it feel good, groove, groove and groove again.

Best of luck with it.

Jake

[quote name='51m0n' post='513889' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:56 AM']1st audition in 9 yrs, bound to do something or say something really stupid.[/quote]
We're bass players.. it's expected of us. :)
Seriously, though, best of luck tonight. Luck? Luck has nothing to do with it.. knock'em dead!
Don't drink 'til afterwards.

[quote name='51m0n' post='513906' date='Jun 15 2009, 10:16 AM']Check them out:-

www.myspace.com/theimpellers[/quote]

I thought I'd heard the name before, yeah, top band, they had a song on Saturdays Craig Charles show yes?

Top gig, I'm jealous. Just the kind of thing I'd [i]love[/i] to do, instead of the rock treadmill I find myself on yet again.

Good luck pal, I'm excited for you.

[quote name='51m0n' post='513871' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:38 AM']Have an audition tonight for a local funk band with a small label deal. Would mean loads of decent gigs over summer and a second album afterwards.

I know I'm up against at least 2, maybe 3 other bassists too.

I just can not concentrate on work right now!!![/quote]

All the best, just feel it

[quote name='Rayman' post='513946' date='Jun 15 2009, 10:54 AM']I thought I'd heard the name before, yeah, top band, they had a song on Saturdays Craig Charles show yes?

Top gig, I'm jealous. Just the kind of thing I'd [i]love[/i] to do, instead of the rock treadmill I find myself on yet again.

Good luck pal, I'm excited for you.[/quote]

Yeah at least one on Craig Charles' show, I'm blown away at the chance to get this.

Shall sulk for at least a week if I dont :)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='513908' date='Jun 15 2009, 10:19 AM']Say things like 'its my job to make the singer look good, nothing more and nothing less'; 'if the punters notice me, I am probably not doing my job properly'...[/quote]

That's not a jazz attitude, Bilbo! :)

[quote name='lozbass' post='514038' date='Jun 15 2009, 12:12 PM'][b]I hope you're not a surgeon.[/b]

Good luck - as others have said, be cool/stay cool, sit in the groove and look like you're enjoying it[/quote]

ROFL, no, not going to kill anyone through lack of concentration today, well its highly unlikely anyway!

Shouldn't be too difficult to look like I'm enjoying it....