Why become a member? ×

Can get back to work now, didnt get the gig!

51m0n

Sorry , couldn't resist.

I havent [i]quite[/i] nailed it down [i]yet[/i]

But, the other guy who bothered to turn up had learnt none of the songs (sweet!)

They really like me as a bloke (no accounting for taste)

They are absolutely certain I can play the material well enough

They felt their drummer was (and I quote) "on one a bit" and thus not helping the funk flow

As a result the groove wasnt quite the Motown, funky soul thing they were after, and would I be willing to work with them some more to show that I can cop the feel that they are after. Note, they are posistive I can, its a question of whether I want to (duh!!)

They are very sorry that the tracks they suggested I learn are all examples of their really fast full on stuff, so I didnt get a chance to get really soully/funky with them and show that side of my playing

There is a bsolutely nothing wrong with what I played, it was just a bit too much on the rockier side of funkiness (wow, that doesnt happen to me often!)

Course I told them that as an artiste of such a high calibre and pedigree they could stick it up their collective backsides if they thought I was going to change a note....

[size=4]NOT[/size]

:rolleyes:

So they are dropping a CD of the slower stuff over tomorrow and we will get together again next week to try again.

Crikey, chaps, not quite blown it yet then. The drummer was FLYING through everything though, we were in the 130bpm area on Fire I think, how can you sound anywhere like funky at that tempo on that song :)

Still very glad they didnt just can me as not being right on day one, so all still to play for!

Cheers, I haven't got it in the bag quite yet, much to do still, but it does sound very like they want to be able to say yes, which is a really good position to be in.

I offered to go around to the band leaders gaff with a practice amp for an evening and nail the feel with him before the next full band meeting, which went down really well.

I want to get this gig, I'd love to do some big(ger) gigs on decent stages with decent PA, and having got a foot in the door I now intend to make it very very hard for some clever swine to barge past and take my place :)

[quote name='jakesbass' post='515630' date='Jun 16 2009, 07:17 PM']I can't believe that my heart is in my mouth over this one.
I've even crossed my bollox for you :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Didnt know that was possible mate, watch out though, you can do permanent damage like that! And definitely dont try that in a spooneristic mood, only dogs can manage that!

Cheers, yet again, for the collective support chaps, its been quite challenging this one - I've done literally pants all at work for two days due to not being able to concentrate at all :lol:

Edited by 51m0n

I've just got in from rehearsal & dashed to the PC to see how you'd got on!

Tell them if you get the gig there will be a queue of bass players at the door the first time you play live - we'll bring mates as well so they'll get a much bigger crowd :)

Seriously well done though, great news so far.

Well I honestly have no idea how accurate this is (its ripped off the myspace page) but this is the curent up and coming gig list:-

Date Time Venue
11 Jul 2009 18:00 Marlborough Jazz Festival Marlborough, near Swindon, Southwest
12 Jul 2009 19:00 Latest Music Bar Brighton
8 Aug 2009 19:30 100 Club, London - supporting Speedometer London, London and South East
28 Aug 2009 19:00 Beachdown Festival, Brighton Brighton, South
19 Sep 2009 21:00 The Brunswick, Hove Hove, East Sussex,, South

Better get it right on the button for the 11th then (gulp!)

I've been thinking about this all morning since reading the thread yesterday!
Well, it sounds like you're 90% there and there's no reason you wont be able to convince them you'da'man so many congrats!

Looking forward to hearing when your first gig with them will be so we can all come down and heckle/piut you off :-)

well done!

[quote name='51m0n' post='516221' date='Jun 17 2009, 10:42 AM']Well I honestly have no idea how accurate this is (its ripped off the myspace page) but this is the curent up and coming gig list:-

Date Time Venue
11 Jul 2009 18:00 Marlborough Jazz Festival Marlborough, near Swindon, Southwest
12 Jul 2009 19:00 Latest Music Bar Brighton
8 Aug 2009 19:30 100 Club, London - supporting Speedometer London, London and South East
28 Aug 2009 19:00 Beachdown Festival, Brighton Brighton, South
19 Sep 2009 21:00 The Brunswick, Hove Hove, East Sussex,, South

Better get it right on the button for the 11th then (gulp!)[/quote]

I reckon I'm up for the 100 Club, anyone else?

Been thinking about the whole feel thing (over analysing as is my want) and I reckon what happened was that in the heat of all the audition nerves and with a drummer flying at an altitude of 50,000ft, and concentrating really hard on getting all the notes in the right gaps and not messing up the structures, I was probably guilty as sin of pushing right to the head of the beat, rather than sitting right back on it.

Part of this was just not getting a sound that really worked so well out of the monstrous Peavey stack (note to self, bridge pup in this situation). They wanted quieter, I then couldnt really hear myself (ear plugs, a double edged sword) and rather than trying to fix the real issue (the Roscoe neck pup soloed is really like a P, and a dark P at that with those DRs), I just dug in harder.

Easy mistake to make under pressure, trying really hard etc etc.

That would be a really rock tinged funk feel, and a result of not being the hardened funk road warrior of old these days and so on.

With this understanding of what hapened, and an evening at band leader/guitarists gaff to work on it, plus spending some time at the next rehearsal on a bass sound that really works for everyone I reckon I should do a lot better next time.

Talked a lot on the phone about wanting a more Motown feel, the said the album was recorded on a vintage jazz (didnt know what year) with the tone rolled off (should of got a P mate :))

So with that in mind I've had spotify dialed up to Motown-tastic all morning, and just soaking up that feel, and its plenty of notes but really relaxed, which is what I wasnt :rolleyes:

Need a light bulb post icon for this on I think :lol: