Why become a member? ×

Can get back to work now, didnt get the gig!

51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' post='516346' date='Jun 17 2009, 12:43 PM']So with that in mind I've had spotify dialed up to Motown-tastic all morning, and just soaking up that feel, and its plenty of notes but really relaxed, which is what I wasnt :)[/quote]

If it's any help I've got 700Mb of classic Motown with the majority of vocals removed. They are not quite instrumentals as the backing vox are still there to help with position in the song etc.

I could either burn to CD or maybe upload a clutch of them somewhere for you.

In terms of sound have you thought about checking wheher you could at least use your head at rehearsal & feed it into the Peavey cabs? Might help you with eq etc.

You could also see if you could get into the rehearsal space between now & the next session to really work the eq on the Peavey gear to get it sounding as good as it possibly can?

[quote name='molan' post='516368' date='Jun 17 2009, 01:05 PM']If it's any help I've got 700Mb of classic Motown with the majority of vocals removed. They are not quite instrumentals as the backing vox are still there to help with position in the song etc.

I could either burn to CD or maybe upload a clutch of them somewhere for you.

In terms of sound have you thought about checking wheher you could at least use your head at rehearsal & feed it into the Peavey cabs? Might help you with eq etc.

You could also see if you could get into the rehearsal space between now & the next session to really work the eq on the Peavey gear to get it sounding as good as it possibly can?[/quote]

Oh man, what a lovely offer. I reckon its alright though, like I said Spotify has Motown by the tonne, and the feel is really apparent. Definitely think I'm on the right lines. Cheers though! Currently going through the early Stevie stuff, tonnes of bass going on (granted lots of keys) but its still got that really laid back feel. Hell somewhere I've got some Motown soloed bass tracks :lol:

The more I think on this, the more sure I am. This will be cool :)

As for EQing that PV rig, I'm pretty sure that dialing over to the bridge pup will put enough emphasis in the upper mids (usually have to boost the lows by a couple of dbs to give some weight, which they'll want). Failing that I can honestly say its a pretty plop amp (something like a 6 band graphic, and I hat e graphics) and a pretty nasty sounding room, but I do have my secret eapon, I've borrowed the BP8 back of my son and will use the notch filter to tame the boom :rolleyes:

Pretty wary of taking my rig anywhere unless I'm sure of the staff and other clientelle, Brighton Electric is rammed with all sorts, and I aint risking my rack toddling off in the sweaty paws of some thieving git if I turn my back fo r two seconds! Gigs are a bit different, you tend to be slightly more in control, having less bods about during load in etc.

Plus I may get a completely different room/rehearsal place next time so we will soldier on. The band leader was really supportive of the idea of messing with some bass sounds to see what would work for us all. That is in and of itself unusual and very encouraging. Currently I would be fairly surprised if there is another bassist around next time

My other trick in crappy rehearsal rooms is to use my little Sadowsky pre & try to feed it straight into the power amp stage or, failing that, using as the mast tone control & running the amp totally flat. It only has simple volume, bass & treble controls but I've used it on a couple of horrible sounding amps in the past & it made a big difference.

You're more than welcome to borrow it if it would be any use, pretty small unit & easy to post!

Well the BP8 is a great pre/multifx and to be honest the first thing I did was set everything back to flat on the amp(god knows what they were doing with it before but I suspect it sounded awful, just a rumble and clank).

Trouble is the PV just doesnt go deep enough (and this is a 410 and 115 stack :) ). Theres a lot of wooly low mid (no sweep mid means dialing it out is compromised to hell and back) and no depth.

The BP8 has a very powerful (some would say too powerful) eq that will get this under control. I'll probably go straight to the power amp in and set everything up on the BP8 save it somewhere so I can recall it whenver I get that room. Given 10 minutes I'll gt it working

Simples :rolleyes:

Ta for yet another top offer though mate!

This all just goes to show how spoilt I've been with my current rig.

I got the BP8 in the first place cos I didnt have enough tonal control over my old gear, I gave it to my son as a result of it being completely redundant with my current gear.

Now I have to ask him to borrow it cos of the pants rig I'm playing through at rehearsal :)

Edited by 51m0n

OK, band leader came over this evening, we had a really decent chat about things, he brought over some more tracks (much more groove orientated stuff than the more full on belters from before, love the sound of them!!!!). I played him some recordings of me playing live in a suitably ultra laid back funky fashion, and told him nicely that I was his new bass player :). He's really really positive about things, looks really really good at the moment chaps!

Oh and he confirmed the gig listing on the myspace page, and that the 8 Aug 100 Club, London gig is effectively going to be the official album launch, so really the more of you who come along the better (plug plug plug).

Right I've got to go learn some songs :rolleyes:

(gives self small congratulatory pat on back - and a quiet woot woot)

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='516997' date='Jun 17 2009, 10:46 PM']I'll try and make it too, I love a bit o' funk. [b] The myspace says there's a discount guestlist, let us know if you can sort us all out![/b][/quote]

Hmmmm might struggle to get that one past them I think :)

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='517191' date='Jun 18 2009, 09:49 AM']How about everyone from Basschat wears a silly hat so we can recognize each other and say hello?![/quote]

I'll be the tubby worried looking one with the Roscoe grooving his fat butt off :)

[quote name='Rayman' post='517359' date='Jun 18 2009, 01:33 PM']Congratulations again, 100 club's a trek for me, but I'll be looking out for gigs further north for sure. [i]VERY[/i] chuffed for you, and a bit jealous too.[/quote]

Swindon any good?

:)

[quote name='OldGit' post='517398' date='Jun 18 2009, 02:04 PM']For what?

:)

Well done Simon ..
Tell your lot to get a gig on The Funk Shift nights at The Globe here in Cardiff..[/quote]

Some jazz festival or other :rolleyes:

Cardiff, crips, that's quite a drive for a gig, you guys better appreciate the funky stuff way over there!

[quote name='51m0n' post='517405' date='Jun 18 2009, 02:15 PM']Some jazz festival or other :)

Cardiff, crips, that's quite a drive for a gig, you guys better appreciate the funky stuff way over there![/quote]

Ah yes You are in Brighton .. Well you wanted somewhere further away :

One of the guys I play in another (funk) band with has yet another a band that organises the funk shift nights at the globe.
They have the Average White Band booked for Sept and Maceo later on ... yeah, Funk goes down well ...

Hmmmm seems its still not in the bag after all.

Apparently tonight there will be a 'round 2' and another couple of bassists are auditioning.

I may well get pipped at the post here chaps.

I've really done my homework on the 3 new tracks, been over to band leaders gaff and double checked with him what I've gleaned from the recordings. Its still hopeful. But I'm not 'in'.

However I think if I don't get it for definite after this one I'm out of energy to continue endlessly putting in week after week of really full on practice unless I'm in the band.

What would you lot do?

[quote name='51m0n' post='515693' date='Jun 16 2009, 08:19 PM'][b]They felt their drummer was (and I quote) "on one a bit" and thus not helping the funk flow[/b][b][/b]

As a result the groove wasnt quite the Motown, funky soul thing they were after, and would I be willing to work with them some more to show that I can cop the feel that they are after. Note, they are posistive I can, its a question of whether I want to (duh!!)[/quote]

That seems to be a bit of a worry....
I presume he is the regular drummer?
And [u]he[/u] is having trouble playing songs he has done before. :lol:
I think after the audition it should have been a case of........
'look, i will let you know man...[ then chew your lip]... the drummer is a bit of a worry' :rolleyes:

I hope it works for you. :)

Garry