Why become a member? ×

How do you transport your cab? Casters, dolly, trolly?

Linus27

Getting an Ashdown ABM 4x10 today and they are not the lightest cabs around. Just wondering how others move their cabs about. On a trolly, attached casters etc.

As I am not as young as I used to be, any suggestions or advice appreciated.

I use a lightweight trolley for my 1212L Schroeder, but when I was using heavier Ashdown cabs I used a board with casters. On reflection I think the board was easier to use than my current trolley as the trolley sometimes gets terminal wobble and tips over. Another nice thing about the "skateboard" was that you could pile things on top of the cab; head, pedal board, etc. If you decide to go the board route, don't skrimp on the casters as you'll only end up replacing them with better ones.

[quote name='ezbass' post='509994' date='Jun 10 2009, 11:00 AM']I use a lightweight trolley for my 1212L Schroeder, but when I was using heavier Ashdown cabs I used a board with casters. On reflection I think the board was easier to use than my current trolley as the trolley sometimes gets terminal wobble and tips over. Another nice thing about the "skateboard" was that you could pile things on top of the cab; head, pedal board, etc. If you decide to go the board route, don't skrimp on the casters as you'll only end up replacing them with better ones.[/quote]

I was wondering if its worth putting casters direct onto the bottom of the cab.

[quote name='Linus27' post='510010' date='Jun 10 2009, 11:24 AM']I was wondering if its worth putting casters direct onto the bottom of the cab.[/quote]

imo, no. some sort of trolley/board with casters is the way to go.

Edited by escholl

[quote name='Linus27' post='510010' date='Jun 10 2009, 11:24 AM']I was wondering if its worth putting casters direct onto the bottom of the cab.[/quote]

Did that, it was OK, I think the board was better. Problem is that unless you use removeable casters on a cab they stick out and can rattle. If you stand the cab on the casters there is a school of thought that questions the efficiency of the cab when not using the correct feet, I found it OK but YMMV. Of course you are also potentially lowering any resale value if you mod the cab.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='510048' date='Jun 10 2009, 12:07 PM']Providing your cab is well sealed I find the easiest thing to do is fill the cab with Helium. It doesn't affect my tone, and allows me to "float" my rig into position. Either a heavey amp sitting on top or sand-bags provide sufficient ballast whilst playing.[/quote]

The only problem with helium is it can be quite expensive and is in high demand for blowing baloons up. Do you think I could use my own body gasses instead? I do tend to produce a fair amount as confirmed by my wife and on a Thursday after Curry day at work, also confirmed by my wife. :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='510056' date='Jun 10 2009, 12:14 PM']The only problem with helium is it can be quite expensive and is in high demand for blowing baloons up. Do you think I could use my own body gasses instead? I do tend to produce a fair amount as confirmed by my wife and on a Thursday after Curry day at work, also confirmed by my wife. :)[/quote]

No. It will "colour" the sound.

I once put a Trace 4x10 on fixed castors and it sounded awful as it lost all coupling with the ground.

Dolly is preferable. Finding a suitably attractive dolly could be difficult as I'm sure Mrs OBBM would have something to say on the matter.

[quote name='obbm' post='510065' date='Jun 10 2009, 12:18 PM']I once put a Trace 4x10 on fixed castors and it sounded awful as it lost all coupling with the ground.

Dolly is preferable. Finding a suitably attractive dolly could be difficult as I'm sure Mrs OBBM would have something to say on the matter.[/quote]

I'm sure I saw a few suitable dollies tucked away in your garage :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='510106' date='Jun 10 2009, 12:59 PM']Get some white paint and paint it all over the cab.

I've heard that the lighter a cab is, the easier it is to carry.[/quote]

This man is a genius. Why other companies don't do this I don't know :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='510211' date='Jun 10 2009, 02:38 PM']I have a team of 43 midget Ghurkali warriors for the cab and 15 tame trained shrews for the amp.....

I carry my bass and leads bag myself though (cant find the staff)[/quote]

I have an Ashdown head also so 15 just won't be enough. I wonder if I can train some squirrels to do the lot :)

I put some hard-wearing castors on my Hartke PRO 2200 2x12", and although it has been a great addition to help me get it around, in hind-sight I think I would have preferred to use a trolley or make up a 'skateboard' for it. The fixed castors have a habit of catching the car and other equipment during load-in.

Squirrels it is, then.

By the way, 1 post is easier to read than 4 in a row :)

Actually, I have the same problem as you at the moment. I've got the same cab as you, only in a 300 watt combo! So it's twice as heavy - WITH NO CASTERS! I'm gonna have to make a skateboard of some kind.... or nick one off a kid in the street *walks over to the door

After doing some more research, I have found out that it is infact, the weight of the magnets in the speakers that are responsible for the weight. What I would suggest is that you remove the weight of these magnets from the cab by removing the speakers. That should make the cab more manageable.

That and a lick of white paint...

...and you should be in business!

ROCK THE HOUSE DOWN!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='510312' date='Jun 10 2009, 04:07 PM']After doing some more research, I have found out that it is infact, the weight of the magnets in the speakers that are responsible for the weight. What I would suggest is that you remove the weight of these magnets from the cab by removing the speakers. That should make the cab more manageable.

That and a lick of white paint...

...and you should be in business!

ROCK THE HOUSE DOWN![/quote]

Thats just crazy. Why put magnets in a speaker cab? Don't they know thats just going to make it heavier. Good plan, I'm just going to take the speakers out, chuck them in the bin, paint the cab white and jobs a carrot on the end of a fishing rod. :)