Why become a member? ×

***Finished*** ACG Skelf Single-cut

Alpha-Dave

[quote name='steve-soar' post='31038' date='Jul 13 2007, 01:08 AM']Fantastic! Your neck woods are like mine but in reverse. How many emails? I thought mine were excessive. I think ours are off to the spray booth next. Have you seen who's ordered one of Alans jazzes? Mine not even finished but I know what I want Alan to build next for me, can you guess children? :huh:[/quote]

I think our neck woods look the same (but opposite) at this distance/resolution, but yours will have the open gains on the wenge, plus the chocolate couloration that will look ace as the wood is carved into a curve. The ebony on mine will have no open grains or colouring, which is why it's used in the flat parts of the neck mostly because I figured the bubinga would look better on the curves.

I saw that Andy had ordered a jazz, it's a huge complement for Alan that now 4 people who have his instruments have ordered a second within 6 months of their first: I know of no other luthier who has that!

I assume your next will be a fanned-fretless in a new flying-V shape, headless 11 string (evenly spaced), strung regular 6 string high-C to low-B, then gback to high-C again: thefore strung left handed on one side and right handed on the other, centred arond the low B so you can play it, then hand it over to a right hander too? :)

I know our woods will be different, I meant to say similar but in reverse and I'm cancelling my order with Alan seeing as he's gone and told you what he's building next for me :huh: So it will have to be Harlot S Type instead. :) BTW it's going to have super light gague strings on it so I can play it just by the power of thought.

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='31087' date='Jul 13 2007, 09:01 AM']I saw that Andy had ordered a jazz,[/quote]

Ha! I've been rumbled! :) Mines gonna be a bit understated compared to yours, but I've always liked flamed maple on jazz basses but never found a fender fiver that I liked. Since getting the Recurve, I havent used anything else 'cos I like the preamp so much (not to mention the quality!) so when I heard Alan was doing a jazz with the preamp option that was it! I had a quick sell up and down went the deposit!

Excellent news Andy. Hmm, I wonder if I need a spare after this then ... :)

Alan Has now routed the big cavity in the body, and the ramp has dropped straight in! I think the last major wood work now is the forearm contour and the smoothing of the tuner-recess.

:huh:

Edited by Alpha-Dave

Alan has perfected the form/function of the bass by smoothing out the tuner recess, and the angle now flows with the lower horn and the upper body edge:

Now the full bass, pretty much finished. The only debate left is where to put the ACG logo disc as there isn't a head stock. I'm wondering about putting it on the upper part of the limba in the tuner recess, or on the control cover on the rear. Any suggestions welcome.

Umm, how about in the middle of the ramp? or is the logo textured/embossed, because that might feel weird on the fingers if you're playing over it.

I like the idea of it being in the tuner recess, but it might look a bit squashed/busy

Si

Edited by Sibob

Thank you for the replies folks.

The logo should be countersunk (at least it is on my recurve):

It wouldn’t fir between the bridge and ramp because there is another bit to go in!

I think the 3 major contenders are: Tuner recess, ramp and upper horn.

I don’t think it’ll work on the ramp, the logo is asymmetric to from the ‘a’ and ‘g’, but the ramp and strings will be perfectly symmetric, so will look wonky, plus the strings will cover it up.
The upper horn is a strong contender, putting it in the same position as the p’up selector on a LP g*tar. It may balance well with the control knobs, but then it takes some more of the lovely redwood away.
The tuner recess is an option, but I’m worried it might look a little too busy.

Any more thoughts?
D.

Good point DCBear.

Well after a brief net survey, the logo position for headless basses seems to be divided into the following camps:

Upper horn:
Bass labs, Zon, Washburn, Yamaha, Bell&Head, Ibanez, Klein, Marcus, PCB, Synsonics

Lower horn:
Hohner, Arbour, Cort, Legg, Mach1, Marathon, Miller, Westone

Under strings:
Status, LeFay, Hondo

Fretboard:
KGB, Barton

Bridge:
Marleaux, Warwick (yes they made a one off headless!)

Don’t use their logo even though they have one:
Sei, Shuker, David King, Kramer, Schack, Bunker, Clover, Ed Roman

Plus another dozen or so local-luthier/one offs that don’t have a company logo.

I’m leaning towards the upper horn, but there are then 4 options:

Top:

Lower left:

Lower Right:

Central:

Ah decisions!

Hey Dave,
firstly, that thing is stunning!
I can't wait to see it built.

On the logo thing, I reckon your first location, the "Top" one looks the best, it just looks a little out of place elsewhere...

Eude

Looking good!

I vote for top (same place as Eude says - I think we have similar tastes... :) )

Also as Mr Dontcarebear beat me to it - How about on the 12th fret? (if it can fit) - In the fingerboard, or is the logo too big?

Rich

Edited by RichBowman

Got to be the central possion or the top for me, but the central looks really nice. Ortho the top works well the contour of the bass difficult. Suppose depends how much of a feature you want it to take on. You will always notice it in the centre where as the top postion works well with the shape and wont be noticed as much I feel.

Thats just my 2pence you may think Im totaly off. Good luck with the choice looks completely stunning eitherway. I remember doing the render and not knowing if i liked it or not but in photo's its just breath taking.

[quote name='RichBowman' post='33660' date='Jul 18 2007, 02:48 PM']Also as Mr Dontcarebear beat me to it - How about on the 12th fret? (if it can fit) - In the fingerboard, or is the logo too big?[/quote]

I think that would be ruled out on the same grounds as the ramp idea, the strings cover it up and it's asymetrical so it doesn't look as good.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='33820' date='Jul 18 2007, 07:41 PM']I think that would be ruled out on the same grounds as the ramp idea, the strings cover it up and it's asymetrical so it doesn't look as good.[/quote]

Plus the frets have already been instaled and neck almost finished. Which would be a bigger problem.

this is a pretty unconventional bass in terms of asthetics, so why not do something different with logo placement?

i think it'd look pretty damn sweet on the SIDE of the bass, between the strap button and the neck (ie, facing up the neck).

Thank you for the replies, After some thought I decided that I'd rather have the logo on the front because headless basses are uncommon
and even if people don't appreciate the shape or recognise the ACG logo, then at least they know it's made by a decent company.

I did however like the idea of a removable (fake) headstock, but I couldn't think of a way to attach one (magnets?). I would have liked the logo to have a useful function if it was a button: Shooting flames from the head would be a good thing, but Alan says that pyros aren't his thing.

Therefore it's going on the upper bout, in the top position like so:

D.