Why become a member? ×

***Finished*** ACG Skelf Single-cut

Alpha-Dave

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='34226' date='Jul 19 2007, 05:16 PM']Shooting flames from the head would be a good thing, but Alan says that pyros aren't his thing.[/quote]

also most of the time, the flames aren't actually reall, like in [url="http://<object%20width="425"%20height="350"><param%20name="movie"%20value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9mZBCOZ1Qm4"></param><param%20name="wmode"%20value="transparent"></param><embed%20src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9mZBCOZ1Qm4"%20type="application/x-shockwave-flash"%20wmode="transparent"%20width="425"%20height="350"></embed></object>"]this[/url] video, clearly they superimposed some flames onto the guitars.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's not too late to have an opinion on the logo placement, how about following the knobs around so it's between the bridge and the control furthest to the left (looking at the bass from the front) following the curve of the controls? Unless there's something else going there already?

While I'm here I'll say that I've decided to go with an Explorer military-spec case for it as I'll be flying with it a few times over the coming year, and these offer the same protection as a wood/aluminium case but weigh 7.8kg instead of 13kg!

The spec is guaranteed that if you drop it 4 feet onto concrete, then the sights of a rifle inside won't be misaligned. That should be good enough even for baggage handlers.

[url="http://www.explorercases.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=225&osCsid=eb375d9dafdab146fbe1b0ecd199a8ef"]http://www.explorercases.co.uk/product_inf...be1b0ecd199a8ef[/url]

They really are the business!

Right, enough about cases, here are some more progress pics, the first coat of gloss is on as part of the month-long finishing process:

One of the things to note are the maple dowels that Alan has added for the bridge screws to anchor in to: In all honesty I would not know they were there and the Korina of the body would have been fine with the screws for many years, but Alan as a perfectionist inserted the strengthening wood so it will be secure forever, for me that's one of the many reasons why I think AGC basses are brilliant!

Looking fantastic

I really love that redwood top and back
i think i'll have to hunt a nice slab down for my next project (7 string B-F)

i have to say if i had'nt started to build my own basses alan would have been my first choice for a custom build

all the best
steve

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='40647' date='Aug 2 2007, 09:31 PM']One of the things to note are the maple dowels that Alan has added for the bridge screws to anchor in to: In all honesty I would not know they were there and the Korina of the body would have been fine with the screws for many years, but Alan as a perfectionist inserted the strengthening wood so it will be secure forever, for me that's one of the many reasons why I think AGC basses are brilliant![/quote]

Indeed mine had ebony to strengthen the wood under the bridge as my spalted top was so soft. Great isn't he.

I honestly have no idea how big it would look against me as it's being built 140 miles away!

Alan did send me the overall measurements to me because I was looking for a case that would be as small as possible so that it would fit in the boot of my car. It's 1040mm long and 335mm wide across the bridge, and 275mm wide across the logo/fret board/lower horn.

I'll take loads of pics when I finally have it!

I don't think it'll be small, It'll be about the size of average jazz bass as that's pretty much the size of my recurve, although it is smaller in some dimensions due to the sloping body shape.

Basically, I have a Hiscox bass case. To fit the Recurve in, I need to add a 2" square foam tube to the fore-arm contour to wedge it in, and another at the end of the head stock. For my Warwick Streamer on the other hand, I need to add the padding around all the edges as it's small in all dimensions.

Due to the Skelf design sloping the opposite way to the recurve design (they are going to look sooo good together!), then I expect that to fit it in the Hiscox case I'll need to add a 2" foam pad around the control-side of the body.

To add a little more to the description of the bass, I was talking to Alan last week about how it'll sound when complete. The basic construction being a VERY stiff neck (due to the large amounts of ebony) attached to a resonant body (limba being very resonant), with a large cavity for the ramp-route. Anyway, Alan said that as he was filing and polishing the frets he kept hearing an odd noise, then he eventually figured out was coming from the ramp cavity as he was working the frets! How this works out in the final tone will be interesting for sure: it may have a dominant frequency somewhere in the sound spectrum [insert superlative here: punchy/bright/bassy], or it may simply be very resonant across the range, but either way I'm really looking forward to finding out!

• 1 month later...