Why become a member? ×

Boogie Nights

jwbassman

Ok - so I've been asked to bass for Boogie Nights [Disco Inferno, Boogie Wonderland, Shaft etc]...

Great as my Overwater fretless is I just don't think it's the right choice for this gig - the question is, what is?

What do you thing I should be using, your thoughts appreciated...

From what I've currently got the P is clearly the best choice and I've done a bit of practice on the P for this show, however I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Fender Jazz, if the Jazz is more appropriate for this show I'll take the plunge and get it, if it's not I'll stick with the P - hence the thread...

[quote name='jwbassman' post='505981' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:56 PM']I'm tempted to go for the Jazz - but probably because that means adding to the collection :rolleyes:

I could then take them both to the gig :)[/quote]

Sounds like a good reason to me.
Do you need a letter from us for your wife?

[quote name='OldGit' post='505980' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:55 PM']A Jazz would be "right" but no one will be able to tell :)
I've seen that show recently and it's great fun..
The production I saw all the music was on backing tracks .. Be much better with a live band..[/quote]

^^ Jazz would be good and there is a Jazz shaped hole in my collection at the moment...

I'm told the show will be using a mixture of tracks and live band - the keys, bass, drums and guitar are live for the majority of the tracks with some horns, additional keys and backing vocals on click, other tracks are just the live band and a handful are just track. Sould be a good show, my sister is one of the dancers (they've be rehearsing for several months now, we [the band] get one look at it the week before the show!) and she says the cast is pretty good and that some of the tracks are pretty quick - glad I'm not dancing!

[quote name='jwbassman' post='505920' date='Jun 4 2009, 10:49 PM']Ok - so I've been asked to bass for Boogie Nights [Disco Inferno, Boogie Wonderland, Shaft etc]...

Great as my Overwater fretless is I just don't think it's the right choice for this gig - the question is, what is?

What do you thing I should be using, your thoughts appreciated...[/quote]
Erm...my 75 Jazz RI......Sorry for the plug.... :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='505985' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:58 PM']Sounds like a good reason to me.
Do you need a letter from us for your wife?[/quote]

I'm pretty well in credit on the brownie points front so i should be ok, but if I need a note I'll let you know ;p

[quote name='bubinga5' post='505992' date='Jun 5 2009, 12:03 AM']Erm...my 75 Jazz RI......Sorry for the plug.... :)[/quote]

I've been following your sale thread but tempting as it is I'm afraid it's out of my price range - I've got a couple of other options but if they don't happen maybe I'll have to reconsider...

Edited by jwbassman

Been there, done it! I spent many years playing Soul and Disco with a Precision with no complaints so yours would be just right. Your amp and cabs are far more flexible than the amps that were used in the 70's so you'll have no trouble getting the right tone.

[quote name='Hamster' post='506016' date='Jun 5 2009, 01:00 AM']What better excuse to you need to get another bass! - You need a Stingray in your arsenal for sure :)[/quote]

Don't really need an excuse as such (I work and save hard to be able to afford such things) but it helps to justify the outgoing in the current climate :rolleyes:

As for a Stingray - never really thought about one, but I wouldn't discount it... I remember the bass player in a Soul band I played in for a while (I was playing Trombone at the time) had one and from what I recall it sounded pretty good and looked cool - black, black, maple (my prefered combination), so if one was available at the right price I wouldn't rule it out...

[quote name='molan' post='506086' date='Jun 5 2009, 07:44 AM']To be really honest I don't think anyone in the audience is going to take much notice of what bass is being played. In fact most of them would only notice the bass if it wasn't there :)[/quote]

Thats very true...

I depped a lot on this show when it first toured then went into the West End about 10 years ago.
Shane Ritchie was the main turn IIRC.
Good fun show to play, i think it was all live at that time, just a few clix tracks with extra instruments etc.
The guy i depped for used a Warcking thumb,
And i used a Sadowsky nyc 5 stg jazz....Green!
I sold it to a guy in Grantham.
I have often wondered if anyone here on Basschat now owns it?

Garry

You're right - I'm sure the audience wouldn't notice, I could use my fretless and nobody would have an issue with it, guess I'm just trying to authentic.

That said I've been told the band is on stage for this show rather than in the pit so that'll be way more exposure than I'm used to for this kind of gig and we've costumes too :)

Jazz or P are equally valid but you really just need a good solid punchy tone with a nice round bottom (dont we all - or am I confusing myself)

Fretless would be stretching things a little, but I've heard a local band who play with a fretless bassist and since he doesnt slide a lot and has an action set for nil mwaaah he pretty much nails a very old school funk tone, think P with flats, and it works awesomely. I think it depends on how you approach it.

Either way as everyone has said, no one will notice in the audience, but you need a jazz just cos you havent got one :)

I seem to have a vague recollection that Out to Play Jazz has been in this show (or something very similar) and was up on stage playing a Status Streamline?

Rich - are you out there, did you play a Streamline in something like this or am I dreaming?