Why become a member? ×

Boogie Nights

jwbassman

Just been looking over the score and had the click to play along with too.

Very playable just the odd 8 bar corner with too many semiquavers that go by too quick for me but otherwise it's all cool, really looking forward to it :)

EDIT for the octaves - I've never played so many in a single show... ever!

Edited by jwbassman

[quote name='lowdown' post='506099' date='Jun 5 2009, 08:42 AM']Thats very true...

I depped a lot on this show when it first toured then went into the West End about 10 years ago.
Shane Ritchie was the main turn IIRC.
Good fun show to play, i think it was all live at that time, just a few clix tracks with extra instruments etc.
The guy i depped for used a Warcking thumb,
And i used a Sadowsky nyc 5 stg jazz....Green!
I sold it to a guy in Grantham.
I have often wondered if anyone here on Basschat now owns it?

Garry[/quote]

Wasn't it in The Bass Gallery a year or 2 back? Same description.
I always thought it was Steve Pearce's old bass.
Either way it was one of the nicest jazzes I've played- it just felt well bedded in.

[quote name='chardbass' post='506929' date='Jun 6 2009, 12:55 PM']Wasn't it in The Bass Gallery a year or 2 back? Same description.
I always thought it was Steve Pearce's old bass.
Either way it was one of the nicest jazzes I've played- it just felt well bedded in.[/quote]

Quite possible it was the same Bass.
But i remember speaking to Steve Pearce and he said it was not his.
I think it might have belonged to Steve Price originally.
It had Bart pups when i got it, RS sent me some vintage pups over and it sound much better.
Expensive phone call that, i ended up ordering another Sadie Jazz... :)
So the green one had to go.

Garry

Oh man, now that's proper authenticity that is.

I do feel its the shame that in all probability not a single audience member will have any idea, but know in you heart that you definitely did 'the right thing' :)

I did a few gigs in a 19 piece disco/funk band at college (gigs for charidee mate) and it was an absolute blast, can t recommend it enough for getting the crowd dancing!

[quote name='jwbassman' post='512425' date='Jun 12 2009, 08:48 PM']Ok - I'm now officially the owner of an American Vintage ‘75 Jazz Bass - thanks Malcthebass - so all set for the show and really looking forward to it :)

oh - and the octaves sound great on it too :lol:[/quote]

I picked up one of these as well recently - really liking it a lot. Nicest Fender I've played :rolleyes:

That's why I got it :rolleyes:

Took it along to two rehearsals today (Big Band and Show rehearsal) and went down very well for both - so really pleased with it - got to adjust to the slightly shorter scale, the fewer strings and the frets (my usual bass is the OW 35" fretless 5) but other than that it's really enjoyable to play and sounds great through my new Barefaced Compact :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='jwbassman' post='513638' date='Jun 14 2009, 10:20 PM']That's why I got it :rolleyes:

Took it along to two rehearsals today (Big Band and Show rehearsal) and went down very well for both - so really pleased with it - got to adjust to the slightly shorter scale, the fewer strings and the frets (my usual bass is the OW 35" fretless 5) but other than that it's really enjoyable to play and sounds great through my new Barefaced Compact :)[/quote]

Where are you doing this show mate, i played it a couple of years ago. used my warwick. but if i did it again id use my musicman, is it the osaltwhistle production? in which case ill say hello ( a mate of mines wife,s in it) could be way off the mark, but just to say a jazz is a great choice- all the best - lee

[quote name='lee650' post='548396' date='Jul 22 2009, 11:11 PM']Where are you doing this show mate, i played it a couple of years ago. used my warwick. but if i did it again id use my musicman, is it the osaltwhistle production? in which case ill say hello ( a mate of mines wife,s in it) could be way off the mark, but just to say a jazz is a great choice- all the best - lee[/quote]

Hi Lee

Sorry mate you missed it, the show was a couple of weeks ago in Southport - it all in all went really well the cast worked so hard the energy on stage was superb, it really could have been a pro show, the cast were that good.

My new 75RI jazz (strung with TI flats) and the Compact sounded great, had some good comments from the cast and some of the guys in my big band who came to see the show made a point of saying how good the bass sounded which was nice...

Cheers

John