Why become a member? ×

Circle Studios refurb

Rimskidog

Here's a quick pick of a horn section I had in for a session today:

EV RE20 > Pacifica on Baritone sax, Shure SM7 > Pacifica on tenor sax, cascade fathead > chandler Germ on trumpet, a pair of AEA R84s > Chandler TG2 8-10 feet out and a Telefunken AK47 in omni > Great River about 12-14 feet back.

Here's a shot of an R84 (crappy camera, failed attempt at arty shot):

and another of a fathead:

• 2 weeks later...

So only a couple of things left to do on the live room in this phase of the construction: iso 1 has to be completed (watch this space) and the rpg reversible diffsorbers need to be wallmounted. In the meantime I've started to get ready for the new control room build. Here's my new mains - a pair of ATC SCM300s:

(sorry for the quality of the pics, my iphone isnt very good in low light)

So, this weekend saw some work on the inside of isobooth 1. First up we put some vertical batons on the wall before splitting 4 inch thick 4' x 2' slabs of RS60 rockwool diagonally and dropping them in place:

Here's a close-up of how the batons hold them in:

Here is a pic of the superchunch standing at about 7 feet tall:

Only about 5 feet to go:

[quote name='PapillonIrl' post='798819' date='Apr 7 2010, 03:36 PM']Great thread.

Is there a definite date for the arrival of the console ? Or are you going to just watch the market for a while and see what comes up ?

Cheers,

Nathan[/quote]

Console isn't coming until new control room is complete. Designers start work next month on that. Build is likely to start late summer so realistically it'll be early next year before console arrives. If there's a decent used Legacy available at the time I might go with that. Otherwise, unless I get a windfall from somewhere, I'll very probably be ordering a new API 1608 plus extension pack in early January.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='802019' date='Apr 10 2010, 06:56 PM']Ive just spent an enjoyable half hour reading this thread. Fascinating stuff! I can't believe I've missed it all this time. I wish you all the best with this project and like everyone else I'm really looking forward to the updates.[/quote]

Glad somebody is getting something out of it!

I spent a couple of days working away this week so had the carpenter in the studio doing some odds and sods for me. One of the key things was that we finally came up with a system to get the reversible diffsorbers mounted on the wall. Now my original plan was to have some kind of railing system so that they could be moved around the room as well as flipped. In the end I settled for a somewhat more simple system... First take an lcd tv mount and fit it on the wall:

Voila:

Then add another at the top and fit a panel. Result: one 6ft x 2ft absorber

Then flip it 180 degrees and it's a 6ft x 2ft BAD diffusor

• 3 weeks later...

Recording a couple of string players from Birmingham Conservatoire on a record I'm working on this month:

In the background you can see the diffsorbers are flipped to diffuse.

The super eagle eyed will spot an Ampeg fliptop, a geddy jazz and a vintage precision (hiding behind the geddy)

Edited by Rimskidog

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='840005' date='May 17 2010, 06:40 PM']Ah, and for those looking at the other 'stuff' it looks like the fatheads are out and about again...

G[/quote]

Good spot. As were the pair of R84's about 12 feet back. For the techie nerds the fatheads went to a pacifica and the r84s went to a TG2.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, as yet I haven't managed to get a photographer in to do the 'money shots' but they'll be coming soon. Loads of things still going on here in any case. Having put the RPG panels on the wall I was missing having easily portable gobos to move around the place so I've had three 8 feet by 4 feet ones built. Pics to follow.

In other news Northward Acoustics have now started on the design of the new control room. We are hoping to start the built around September time. The long stayers may remember the original design looked like this:

Well the latest on this is that the control room will no longer look like that. Best advice seems to be that the having the window behind the mix position will cause more problems than it can possibly justify. In the circumstances we are currently looking at a FTB design with the console facing into the live room in the traditional way. Thomas has a v cool idea for the RFZ so watch this space. The bad news though is that all of this means that the live room door has to move about 4.5 feet to the left grrr I guess these things are just sent to try us...