Why become a member? ×

Circle Studios refurb

Rimskidog

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='601552' date='Sep 17 2009, 06:31 PM']are you running an API then? Which one?[/quote]

Sadly not, we have an Otari Elite, a Raindirk Symphony and a stack of the Audient ASP's which are very decent desks for the little money they charge, we also have Digi C24's and a few Mackie DXB's.

Our main problem (as ever) is financing big desks, I can build a couple of new rooms fully fitted for the price of a decent API.

I've used API desks in pro-land, lovely chunks of kit that they are.

You can see some of our rooms here: [url="http://music.tvu.ac.uk/index.php/virtual-studio-tour.html"]LCM Studios[/url] These are a few yers old now, and we have updated the labs and some of the other rooms, but not the website as yet, we don't have the Sony desks anymore.

[quote name='WinterMute' post='601898' date='Sep 18 2009, 01:48 AM']Sadly not, we have an Otari Elite, a Raindirk Symphony and a stack of the Audient ASP's which are very decent desks for the little money they charge, we also have Digi C24's and a few Mackie DXB's.

Our main problem (as ever) is financing big desks, I can build a couple of new rooms fully fitted for the price of a decent API.

I've used API desks in pro-land, lovely chunks of kit that they are.

You can see some of our rooms here: [url="http://music.tvu.ac.uk/index.php/virtual-studio-tour.html"]LCM Studios[/url] These are a few yers old now, and we have updated the labs and some of the other rooms, but not the website as yet, we don't have the Sony desks anymore.[/quote]

Not three bad at all man. I know that Olympic's Audient is back on the market and is going for a very good price right now.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='603135' date='Sep 19 2009, 08:43 PM']i know, you did say.[/quote]

Maybe I didn't understand your question. You said:

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='600565' date='Sep 16 2009, 06:43 PM']...Okay cool i expected you'd have some sort of isobooth given everything else lol.[/quote]

...and I was just trying to clarify. If that wasn't what you meant, what did you mean?

Edited by Rimskidog

anyways...

Took a proper camera down today so thought I'd give you some better pics.

In the first you can see that the booth still has a lot of work to be done. Windows need to arrive and be fitted (I have just cut some 4 inch blocks of rockwool and placed them in the aperture for the time being) as does the door. Inside the framing and trapping still need to be done. Electrics and lights also need to be finalised):

On this next one you can see that the ceiling is painted, the fire alarm sounder and strobe has been fitted, and one of the cheap bulbs I put in has already blown:

And finally, this one's just a slightly better quality version of a shot you've seen above (save the kit isn't mic'd etc this time). It does give you a pretty good perspective on the height of the room though:

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='604055' date='Sep 20 2009, 10:25 PM']anyways...

Took a proper camera down today so thought I'd give you some better pics.

In the first you can see that the booth still has a lot of work to be done. Windows need to arrive and be fitted (I have just cut some 4 inch blocks of rockwool and placed them in the aperture for the time being) as does the door. Inside the framing and trapping still need to be done. Electrics and lights also need to be finalised):

On this next one you can see that the ceiling is painted, the fire alarm sounder and strobe has been fitted, and one of the cheap bulbs I put in has already blown:

And finally, this one's just a slightly better quality version of a shot you've seen above (save the kit isn't mic'd etc this time). It does give you a pretty good perspective on the height of the room though:

[/quote]

That's a great space for sure!

:)

[quote name='iamapirate' post='604035' date='Sep 20 2009, 10:16 PM']I was talking to you... double fail. :) haha, no it just sounded like you got caught out:

'what did you mean?'

'eerrr, yeahh ermmm wellll..... it's not that important'

:rolleyes:[/quote]

Yes i know i was having a joke, hence the smilie. I hope you don't point out when people "fail" in real life otherwise you might find it's your nose that "fails".

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='604280' date='Sep 21 2009, 10:01 AM']Yes i know i was having a joke, hence the smilie. I hope you don't point out when people "fail" in real life otherwise you might find it's your nose that "fails".[/quote]
:)

Well i hope that has not killed this post...
I was really enjoying watching the progress.
More pics please. :rolleyes:

Garry

[quote name='cheddatom' post='608463' date='Sep 25 2009, 10:48 AM']My kick drum sounds seem to be my biggest issue. Could I make a sub kick out of a hi-fi speaker and a drum?[/quote]

You could - I used to use an old Yamaha NS10 woofer with an xlr cable soldered to it!! Gave pretty much the same sort of results as the Sub Kick (although I'm sure the Sub Kick is a little more refined!!!)

[quote name='lateralus462' post='608534' date='Sep 25 2009, 12:00 PM']You could - I used to use an old Yamaha NS10 woofer with an xlr cable soldered to it!! Gave pretty much the same sort of results as the Sub Kick (although I'm sure the Sub Kick is a little more refined!!!)[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that's exactly where Yamaha got the idea for the Sub Kick - as folks were doing exactly that with NS10 woofers & they saw that & decided to make a posh version to sell...

[quote name='99ster' post='608724' date='Sep 25 2009, 03:56 PM']I'm pretty sure that's exactly where Yamaha got the idea for the Sub Kick - as folks were doing exactly that with NS10 woofers & they saw that & decided to make a posh version to sell...[/quote]

That's absolutely right. I had a home made job for a long time. I didnt 'buy' a subkick until that one died.

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='609044' date='Sep 26 2009, 09:25 AM']That's absolutely right. I had a home made job for a long time. I didnt 'buy' a subkick until that one died.[/quote]

Mount any 8 or 10 driver into an old 10" tom-tom shell, stick it on a stand, voila!!

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='609201' date='Sep 26 2009, 01:11 PM']No need for it to be in a tom shell. Mount it on a stand[/quote]

mounting it in a shell approximates a cardioid pattern, open backed it's decidedly omni... :)

I jest, although it does sound a bit tighter in the shell, and it's easier to store.