Why become a member? ×

Circle Studios refurb

Rimskidog

Thanks man. Don't be humbled hough. Horses for courses and all that!

Anyways, yesterday I spent the day sanding down the plaster. Today it was time to start painting! First coat is a white matt emulsion made especially for fresh plaster.

Here's the long wall (not quite finished the first coat):

And the short wall (with first coat done):

Here's a different angle:

And then as procrastination levels set in I thought I'd stand my reversible rpg panels roughly in place to see how it's gonna feel when it's finally done:

Nice stuff.

It looks very very big indeed!

3 second reverb trail sounds huge to match ( brilliant though, since you can dampen that down as much as you need), no flutter echo already is what you are spending the money on I guess, whatever reverb you set your absorbers up to produce will be lovely.

Shame about the delay though, gutting!

Basses: Fender USA P bass (with J neck); Fender Geddy Lee J bass; Warwick Infinity (no serial number, considered likely to be the Namm show model); Alembic Spyder; Custom made 4 string with Seymour Duncan quarter pounders, baddass etc
Bass amps: Ampeg fliptop and Ampeg SVT3pro (looking for a nice old SVT head);
Bass cab: PR410
DI's: A Designs Reddi, Creation Audio MW1, Sansamp; an old BSS, plus the various Hi-z inputs on my preamps.

You going for a big live sounding room there?

Those panels in that positioning wouldn't take the room down to diffuse, so I'm hoping you'll be looking for a signature sound rather than a neutral sound.

What are you doing with the floor? All carpet, or different surfaces?

I loves me some positive room sound, and yours looks big enough to be useful to a decent sized ensemble.

Nice work so far, looking forward to seeing it finished (I know it doesn't feel like it ever will be, that's the nature of studio builds isn't it?).

[quote name='WinterMute' post='521627' date='Jun 23 2009, 12:45 PM']You going for a big live sounding room there?

Those panels in that positioning wouldn't take the room down to diffuse, so I'm hoping you'll be looking for a signature sound rather than a neutral sound.[/quote]

The panels wont be in that position. They will be on rails so they can be moved anywhere in the room. They are also reversible diffsorbers with BAD panel diffusers on one side and absorbers on the other side. This makes for a completely tuneable room. Gobo's will also be available for micro-acoustic tuning.

[quote name='WinterMute' post='521627' date='Jun 23 2009, 12:45 PM']What are you doing with the floor? All carpet, or different surfaces?[/quote]

Wooden floors. Throw rugs available where required.

[quote name='WinterMute' post='521627' date='Jun 23 2009, 12:45 PM']I loves me some positive room sound, and yours looks big enough to be useful to a decent sized ensemble.[/quote]

That's the neat thing. You can set up the panels so they provide for a neutral response, so one side of the room is set to diffusion and the other is set to absorb or whatever you want!

It's designed to take an ensemble of 25 (though I think that might be a little cosy if I'm honest.)

[quote name='WinterMute' post='521627' date='Jun 23 2009, 12:45 PM']Nice work so far, looking forward to seeing it finished (I know it doesn't feel like it ever will be, that's the nature of studio builds isn't it?).[/quote]

Thanks man!

[quote name='KERMITNT' post='521716' date='Jun 23 2009, 02:09 PM']wow that is awsome alembic for rental? super !!! Ampeg are awsome too nice ones m8 ...[/quote]

It's not for rental. It's currently available to use for free to anyone who rents the room!

Sorry, I don't do hourly rates and will rarely do rehearsals. Rack rate is 500 a day if I engineer, a bit cheaper if you are/have an engineer and just want an assistant (though I do offer special downtime rates for bands who can come in at short notice if a booked session ends early or starts late; I also offer development deals for the right unsigned band) and I'm booked til pretty much christmas! (Though I'd guess if you were prepared to fly from greece for a rehearsal 500 a day will be pennies to you!)

[quote name='KERMITNT' post='522346' date='Jun 24 2009, 09:32 AM']so how much you thinking? price per hour for rehersal only[/quote]

Edited by Rimskidog

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='522452' date='Jun 24 2009, 01:28 PM']Sorry, I don't do hourly rates and will rarely do rehearsals. Rack rate is 500 a day if I engineer, a bit cheaper if you are/have an engineer and just want an assistant (though I do offer special downtime rates for bands who can come in at short notice if a booked session ends early or starts late; I also offer development deals for the right unsigned band) and I'm booked til pretty much christmas! (Though I'd guess if you were prepared to fly from greece for a rehearsal 500 a day will be pennies to you!)[/quote]

for that kind of studio i think is worth it to fly there with the band mate awsome again and i can see why the price is 500 it will be an awsome studio :)

Edited by KERMITNT

Today it was time to paint the last wall and ceiling. After applying about a full role of bright blue masking tape to my beautiful maple control room window I got down to it:

I quickly decided that I wish I had gone with a more straightforward ceiling design! I found that if I stand on a 7 foot tall platform on my tip toes, with extendable roller at full extension, I can just reach the highest point of the ceiling... but I can't get into the corners... doh!

Here's my problem:

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='527031' date='Jun 28 2009, 08:27 PM']I quickly decided that I wish I had gone with a more straightforward ceiling design! I found that if I stand on a 7 foot tall platform on my tip toes, with extendable roller at full extension, I can just reach the highest point of the ceiling... but I can't get into the corners... doh![/quote]

haha oh no!

looking good so far though -- maybe time for the return of some scaffolding?

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='532102' date='Jul 3 2009, 10:29 PM']Heheh... but no. "idiot who forgot his camera' would be a better description![/quote]

Mouth, say goodbye to coffee; coffee, meet my keyboard, keyboard, say hello to coffee...

:)

So... back to regularly scheduled programming...

I had a cunning plan on how I could get to the ceiling bits that I can't reach:
1. get a very long ladder indeed
2. Rest it against the 'steps' on the ceiling:

And here's a shot with a bit more plaster on the booth: