Why become a member? ×

Circle Studios refurb

Rimskidog

Will try and get some clips onto myspace in the next week or so.

Anyways...I promised some big news in the New Year. Here it is...

I'm really pleased to say that to go along with what I believe may be one of the best drum rooms in the country Thomas Jouanjean of Northward Acoustics has agreed to take on the job of designing my new control room. Some of you will have seen the amazing job Thomas did with Amsterdam Mastering: [url="http://www.amsterdammastering.com/"]http://www.amsterdammastering.com/[/url] I personally couldn't have been more impressed. That's why he got the job and why we will be shooting for one of the best mix rooms in the country.

Thomas will start work on the drawings soon and I hope to start the build in September this year. Stay tuned!

Will try and get some clips onto myspace in the next week or so.

Anyways...I promised some big news in the New Year. Here it is...

I'm really pleased to say that to go along with what I believe may be one of the best drum rooms in the country Thomas Jouanjean of Northward Acoustics has agreed to take on the job of designing my new control room. Some of you will have seen the amazing job Thomas did with Amsterdam Mastering: [url="http://www.amsterdammastering.com/"]http://www.amsterdammastering.com/[/url] I personally couldn't have been more impressed. That's why he got the job and why we will be shooting for one of the best mix rooms in the country.

Thomas will start work on the drawings soon and I hope to start the build in September this year. Stay tuned!

:) Luckily I'm not asking a mastering engineer to design my website. I'm asking the designer of the mastering room to design my mix room. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='727269' date='Jan 28 2010, 09:11 AM']That website design is terrible.

"Our research has determined that people who are looking for photos of a recording studio will have a far more enjoyable experience if they have to sit through a "loading" screen and other UI obstacles first."

S.P.[/quote]

Did a quick tidy up after today's session (strings) and took a wide angled photo thingy on my latest iphone app:

As you can see, abfusors still arent up on the wall. :)

Lights are now up inside booth and electrics are all done. Glass arrives on Thursday. :brow:

Edited by Rimskidog

[quote name='joegarcia' post='723780' date='Jan 25 2010, 03:45 AM']Interesting. Would love to hear how it sounded :)[/quote]

Your wish is my command. I've posted a soundclip of the R84 room mics from the session (below) on www.myspace.com/circlestudios for anyone else that is also interested.

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='723474' date='Jan 24 2010, 08:04 PM']

[/quote]

Edited by Rimskidog

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='737618' date='Feb 6 2010, 09:03 PM']Even if you do say so yourself! :)[/quote]

Yup. And having worked in many of them I feel reasonably well qualified to comment.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='737618' date='Feb 6 2010, 09:03 PM']lolz seriously nice recordings though, although i don't think the drumming was exactly first class, sorry.[/quote]

Wow. You obviously have higher standards than me. The drummer is a pro. He didn't stray from the click once. There's some pretty complicated stuff going on there. When you hear it on the radio with the rest of the song you'll understand.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='737618' date='Feb 6 2010, 09:03 PM']Even if you do say so yourself! :) lolz seriously nice recordings though, although i don't think the drumming was exactly first class, sorry.[/quote]
Jeesus mate what exactly qualifies you to blast into a thread like this and comment? The drumming on the tracks I listened to was unwavering and totally consistent...
My qualifications? well I've been a pro player for 20 yrs have worked in studios all over the country (including AIR which is mentioned on the myspace) and played with some world class musicians including drummers. I just don't get the reasoning you're using to say what you are about the drumming. I can only assume that you are 1) in a class all your own or 2) talking without any real grasp of the subject with any objectivity.
Which is it?
If your views are entirely subjective (ie you just don't like it) then I would think it best if you save those views for another thread, like those that ramble on in off topic. These comments I'm afraid are just not helpful to a very interesting studio build thread.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='740546' date='Feb 10 2010, 01:29 AM']Jeesus mate what exactly qualifies you to blast into a thread like this and comment? The drumming on the tracks I listened to was unwavering and totally consistent...
My qualifications? well I've been a pro player for 20 yrs have worked in studios all over the country (including AIR which is mentioned on the myspace) and played with some world class musicians including drummers. I just don't get the reasoning you're using to say what you are about the drumming. I can only assume that you are 1) in a class all your own or 2) talking without any real grasp of the subject with any objectivity.
Which is it?
If your views are entirely subjective (ie you just don't like it) then I would think it best if you save those views for another thread, like those that ramble on in off topic. These comments I'm afraid are just not helpful to a very interesting studio build thread.[/quote]

Mate, i was just teasing okay? Jebus, you're taking something that was supposed to be a joke (hence smilies and "lolz") far too seriously.

What you hear on a track might not nesicerally be what someone else hears. You probably were not listening out for the consistency of the timing. Also no i don't think i'm the best drummer in the world i never said i did. but i think i am sufficiently qualified in drumming to be able to hear for how good their timing is. I'm really sorry if the way i interpreted the recordings offend you but at the end of the day as i say you obviously heard it differently to me. Everyone is different, after all.

Edited by EdwardHimself

I realised I never provided any shots of the rest of the place. We had to rip down a chunk of the kitchen when we started the live room build. Here's what was left of it:

Now ultimately, when the new control room is done, the new kitchen will be where the current control room is and, in turn, this will no longer be a kitchen (who needs two kitchens anyway... keep up) so will be turned into a full height booth (about 18 feet tall with tie-lines) with a spiral staircase which will lead to the lounge upstairs. As that's gonna be a little while away I decided to tart this kitchen up a bit in the meantime. Here's the units going in:

and here's how the current kitchen looks:

The fridge is built into one of the lower cupboards and the microwave into one of the higher ones. I've still got some tiling to do and lights to fit under the high cupboards but, as you can see, at this point while it's compact it's pretty slick all the same.

This is a commercial working studio. The artists who work here have a right to expect decent amenities. And, to be frank, it's no big deal. It only cost about £500 to buy, all the cupboards etc are re-useable and I could hardly go 18months without somewhere to make a cup of tea or heat up a pie!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='745567' date='Feb 15 2010, 09:33 AM']I might be confused, but you fitted out a mini-kitchen even though you're going to rip it out when the other kitchen's ready!??!

It probably makes sense, but I hate doing work that I know will be un-done![/quote]

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='745246' date='Feb 14 2010, 08:38 PM']The fridge is built into one of the lower cupboards and the microwave into one of the higher ones. I've still got some tiling to do and lights to fit under the high cupboards but, as you can see, at this point while it's compact it's pretty slick all the same.[/quote]

lol, the fittings in that temporary kitchen look nicer than the ones in my house. every time I visit this thread I get really envious, must mean you're doing something right! :)

The astute amongst you will have realised by now that at this point I'm simply having jobs done between sessions. Today saw isobooth one get glass. The glass in questions is acoustic laminated safety class from St Gobain known as 'Stadip Silence'. The outside panes are 27mm (being something like 2x 12mm sheets bonded together with an acoustic sheet/resin not unlike green glue (except it isn't green, it's clear) between them. The inside panes are 21mm (something like 2x9mm I guess). You can see here that, after a careful polishing, strips of neoprene foam (20mm x 5mm) were added to the inner dimensions of each pane being careful not to leave any gaps between the joins:

The windows were then inserted into the frames and caulked with an acoustic sealant before pressure was applied to them and they were fixed into place:

And here's a close up:

If you look closely enough you'll see a tiny ledge in front of the window frame. As the front of the booth is essentially a poly-diffusor and is cylindrical this was, of course, unavoidable. The amazing this is how different the room sounds with the glass in! I had previously cut 4 inch thick rectangles of rockwool and placed them into the apertures. This of course essentially turned the booth into a big bass trap. With the glass in the room sounds, if anything, even bigger than it previously did. kfhkh