Why become a member? ×

Circle Studios refurb

Rimskidog

You can see in this pic that most of the walls have the first layer of plasterboard in place now:

So, at last, we can start putting up the second layer on top! :)

The key to the second layer is that, sandwiched underneath it is a layer of the 'green glue' you saw in an earlier shot. A unique compound which never actually sets, it is designed to reduced sound transmission between the boards and effectively 'damps' any ringing. Here's what it looks like as you put it on:

The board goes up:

And gets sealed and scrimmed:

Here's a shot of the opposite side:

If you look carefully you can see that some boards are grey and some are blue. The grey ones are the 19mm underlayer, the blue ones are the 15mm soundblock boards that go on top.

Watch out for the next episode!

Edited by Rimskidog

Live room to control room window was fitted last week.

Here's the frame arriving:

Going into the wall (you aren't getting the photos of all the puffing, wheezing and swearing that went along with this... though maybe at some point I'll squeeze the audio into some track I'm mixing :) ):

Looking good:

And with some glass in:

[quote name='jonthebass' post='517873' date='Jun 18 2009, 09:48 PM']Great thread you're running here and great pictures. Thanks for doing this for us all to see.
Hope all's going well still?

Cheers,
Jon.[/quote]

Thanks man! All going great. Things are happening really fast now. I'll get more pics up over the weekend to bring you up to date!

If you have the shell of the room finished like this - ie so its its own great big f off diffuser, what does it sound like in there at the mo, I know its not finished by any means, but I'm fascinated to know!

You know how if you clap you hands in an empty room with bare plaster walls you get masses of flutter echo off the parallel walls, I would imagine its even in this state a far shorter and smoother reverb in there (though still very bright) - or am I talking complete plop?

So record a clap for us :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='518156' date='Jun 19 2009, 10:28 AM']If you have the shell of the room finished like this - ie so its its own great big f off diffuser, what does it sound like in there at the mo, I know its not finished by any means, but I'm fascinated to know!

You know how if you clap you hands in an empty room with bare plaster walls you get masses of flutter echo off the parallel walls, I would imagine its even in this state a far shorter and smoother reverb in there (though still very bright) - or am I talking complete plop?

So record a clap for us :)[/quote]

No flutter echo whatsoever. Medium length but (maybe 3 seconds) but smooth even reverb tail. Dont really have a particularly mobile rig (PTHD/mac pro) so difficult to record anything for ya and there's no gear in the studio at the moment. Anyone got a decent 24 bit handheld recorder?

Scaffolding is finally down! The two big walls are plastered and most of the ceiling. Ran out of plasterboard (about one sheet short!) Booth needs to be finished and boarded out, doors, lights etc are going in soon. Need to get someone in with a decent camera as mine makes it look about the size of our boxroom at home!

Here's a shot toward the booth:

Here's the wall to the left of the booth:

Here's one half of the long wall:

and here's the other half:

[quote name='jwbassman' post='518945' date='Jun 19 2009, 11:00 PM']I like the shot of the floor makes it look huge :lol:

Thanks again for the thread and the constant steam of photo updates - what's the project timescale for getting it totally finished?[/quote]

Totally finished? :rolleyes: No bloody idea. This phase was supposed to be finished in April. It overran by about 3 months and £40k! :) At this point I just gotta make some money as I'm hurting so I'm pushing back the control room phase. Happily I've got work to see me through most of the year so it probably wont start until Christmas at this point. I'm giving the old control room a facelift and it will do the job for the time being.

[quote name='jwbassman' post='518954' date='Jun 19 2009, 11:12 PM']Ouch - I'm guessing it's a case of I've started so I'll finish - I'm sure it will be well worth it in the end :)[/quote]

Yep. Not a lot you can do with a half finished studio!

I bloody hope it'll be worth it! :rolleyes:

Edited by Rimskidog

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='518967' date='Jun 19 2009, 11:25 PM']I bloody hope it'll be worth it! :rolleyes:[/quote]

I don't doubt it will be :)

Room looks so much bigger now without the scaffolding, positively epic. It's really great to see such a well-designed live room being built.