Why become a member? ×

How "coloured" is the Markbass LMK?

franzbassist

Well its effectively two preamp channels into an LMII power section.

The LMII is generally considered to colour tone very very little from what I've ever read both here an on TB.

Certainly my SA450 (which is also closely related to an LMII) really does let the nature of the bass shine through.

I find the combination of sa450 and berg ae410 is amazingly accurate to my ear, when compared to a loud playback of a DI'ed version of my basses over good monitors.

So if uncoloured is what you are after I think amp-wise at least you should be on to a real winner.

The cab is probably even more important in this regard though (IMO any way)

[quote name='51m0n' post='493514' date='May 20 2009, 05:48 PM']Well its effectively two preamp channels into an LMII power section.

The LMII is generally considered to colour tone very very little from what I've ever read both here an on TB.

Certainly my SA450 (which is also closely related to an LMII) really does let the nature of the bass shine through.

I find the combination of sa450 and berg ae410 is amazingly accurate to my ear, when compared to a loud playback of a DI'ed version of my basses over good monitors.

So if uncoloured is what you are after I think amp-wise at least you should be on to a real winner.

The cab is probably even more important in this regard though (IMO any way)[/quote]

Thanks for this, most helpful. Uncoloured is exactly what I want, and using two EA cabs will help as you say.

So I went to The Gallery to try one out today.

Nice amp. I could live without the aesthetic look of the thing, but it's small, light and very loud.

Good neutral sound with everything set flat, although I was surprised at how different the two channels sounded with everything set completely flat.

All's good. :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='495352' date='May 22 2009, 04:43 PM']How interesting. So if the two channels sound different with the EQ flat, I wonder which is the most close to being transparent?[/quote]
Now [i]that[/i] is a good question. Obviously it was only a lunchtime noodle, so my impressions may go up as well as down, but thinking about it more now I guess it was more that the gain settings were different, which made one channel louder than t'other although I was using the same bass.

I believe the channels are identical apart from Channel A having the Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator circuit as well; maybe that's the difference?!

I shall investigate further...

[quote name='walbassist' post='495359' date='May 22 2009, 04:48 PM']Now [i]that[/i] is a good question. Obviously it was only a lunchtime noodle, so my impressions may go up as well as down, but thinking about it more now I guess it was more that the gain settings were different, which made one channel louder than t'other although I was using the same bass.

I believe the channels are identical apart from Channel A having the Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator circuit as well; maybe that's the difference?!

I shall investigate further...[/quote]
If you check out an old thread of mine, I did a bit of messing on this topic. The channels are different to the point that I swwapped my lm11 for the lmk.

I'm really liking these Markbass heads!
The cabs suck IMO but the heads I LOVE!
I wanna try the other MB heads too to see what they are all like but for 4 months I've been using a Markbass SD800 and it KICKS ASS!!!
Seemingly infinite headroom even above 60% is good to me and you can go from a flat sound to an ultimatly or little coloured sound when you turn the dials.

I like the VPL and VLE dials too.

[quote name='Kongo' post='495696' date='May 23 2009, 12:56 AM']I'm really liking these Markbass heads!
The cabs suck IMO but the heads I LOVE!
I wanna try the other MB heads too to see what they are all like but for 4 months I've been using a Markbass SD800 and it KICKS ASS!!!
Seemingly infinite headroom even above 60% is good to me and you can go from a flat sound to an ultimatly or little coloured sound when you turn the dials.

I like the VPL and VLE dials too.[/quote]

The best flst tone i can get is to plug it direct into the miing desk on a flat channel (of course if youhave the PA to cope with the bass) and have a small combo jutto monitor throgh. Of course thats not ideal for everyone. I have been doing this for years and to be honest paying £1000 on a 200w combo seems a huge wast of money to me when you can have up to 1000w of real clout. I really dont hear a massive difference in a £350 warwick or old 2nd hand combo or a 1000 pound one, Yesterday i plugged into a £300 ashdown and i thought it was great to monitor with, with a great compressor as well.MArk bass to this tiny combo for like £500 and its terrible! how can they justify it! Cheaper combos lack that tiny bit more high/low end clarity, but out front i dont think the punters would really notice. I buy a bass for its natural tone, and anything that will change that is a no no for me. Anyways just my view on this take.

GP.

[quote name='greyparrot' post='495786' date='May 23 2009, 08:28 AM']The best flst tone i can get is to plug it direct into the miing desk on a flat channel (of course if youhave the PA to cope with the bass) and have a small combo jutto monitor throgh. Of course thats not ideal for everyone. I have been doing this for years and to be honest paying £1000 on a 200w combo seems a huge wast of money to me when you can have up to 1000w of real clout. I really dont hear a massive difference in a £350 warwick or old 2nd hand combo or a 1000 pound one, Yesterday i plugged into a £300 ashdown and i thought it was great to monitor with, with a great compressor as well.MArk bass to this tiny combo for like £500 and its terrible! how can they justify it! Cheaper combos lack that tiny bit more high/low end clarity, but out front i dont think the punters would really notice. I buy a bass for its natural tone, and anything that will change that is a no no for me. Anyways just my view on this take.

GP.[/quote]

I was talking about the head, the cabs ain;t worth it to me.
Plus combo's? Yetch!

Markbass SD800 has more than enough power for the money. It almost has 1000watts of clout @ 800 watts and if that's not enough, the SD1200 has 1200watts...and it's a mono head! :)

I picture the tone I like and get it. At the mo my Jazz gets me there better with the Markbass.
I've seen many players use extensive EQ and I don't see why not.

[quote name='Kongo' post='496219' date='May 23 2009, 06:31 PM']I was talking about the head, the cabs ain;t worth it to me.
Plus combo's? Yetch!

Markbass SD800 has more than enough power for the money. It almost has 1000watts of clout @ 800 watts and if that's not enough, the SD1200 has 1200watts...and it's a mono head! :)

I picture the tone I like and get it. At the mo my Jazz gets me there better with the Markbass.
I've seen many players use extensive EQ and I don't see why not.[/quote]

As a full-time bass player with a selection of Markbass gear (four different cabs, a head and a 2 x 10 combo to choose from/mix and match) I find it interesting to hear that some players don't like the cabs! I personally love 'em! Just my opinion of course! In fact I'm tending to use my 2 x 10" Traveller cab on its own with the Little Mark head on a lot of gigs and it sounds fantastic (with my trusty Vigier!). Lovely, pure, transparent tone - just what I like.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='496379' date='May 23 2009, 10:43 PM']As a full-time bass player with a selection of Markbass gear (four different cabs, a head and a 2 x 10 combo to choose from/mix and match) I find it interesting to hear that some players don't like the cabs! I personally love 'em! Just my opinion of course! In fact I'm tending to use my 2 x 10" Traveller cab on its own with the Little Mark head on a lot of gigs and it sounds fantastic (with my trusty Vigier!). Lovely, pure, transparent tone - just what I like.[/quote]

Must say I agree. I love the cabs and I've done lots of gigs with the LMII and a 2 x 10 traveller. For bigger gigs I've added a second 2 x 10 stacked 4 high and the sound was superb. Only sold the cabs due to a smaller car and I've often regretted it.

I also have a 1 x 12 combo and it's perfectly adequate for small pubs and rehearsals. I even used it last week in a 200 person room and it (just about) coped. Impressive for such a small box as long as you realise it has its limits in terms of low end but the volume is fine.

Frank

[quote name='machinehead' post='496390' date='May 23 2009, 10:56 PM']Must say I agree. I love the cabs and I've done lots of gigs with the LMII and a 2 x 10 traveller. For bigger gigs I've added a second 2 x 10 stacked 4 high and the sound was superb. Only sold the cabs due to a smaller car and I've often regretted it.

I also have a 1 x 12 combo and it's perfectly adequate for small pubs and rehearsals. I even used it last week in a 200 person room and it (just about) coped. Impressive for such a small box as long as you realise it has its limits in terms of low end but the volume is fine.

Frank[/quote]

Hi Frank!

I think what happens is that your ears (or in my case, ear!) gets used to hearing a certain sound - I call it the `trace syndrome'. Reason is, you get accustomed to what appears to be a regular, `normal' bass amp sound; then something new comes onto the market (back in 86 it was a Trace rig for me) which suddenly `ups' the standard - it makes everything else sound dull or whatever. I got used to the Trace sound, then a mate of mine bought an SWR which then made the Trace sound dull! Went SWR!!! Subsequently, I heard an EBS rig which made the SWR sound old hat, (went EBS!) then Markbass came along which has, for me (note that!) given me the closest thing in terms of the sound I'd always searched for. I've tried other high end gear which is comparable in tone terms but there's something about the Mark stuff which just does it for me.

Having suffered a major ear op this year, it does make you realise how delicate your hearing is and that everyone's hearing will be different - the clean, pure sound of the Mark gear does help me now that I'm much more aware of the effects of volume can have on one's hearing (even though my ear problem was nothing to do with high pressure levels, so my consultant says) - I find the onstage volume can be much lower without any compromise on clarity.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='496598' date='May 24 2009, 01:56 PM']Hi Frank!

I think what happens is that your ears (or in my case, ear!) gets used to hearing a certain sound - I call it the `trace syndrome'. Reason is, you get accustomed to what appears to be a regular, `normal' bass amp sound; then something new comes onto the market (back in 86 it was a Trace rig for me) which suddenly `ups' the standard - it makes everything else sound dull or whatever. I got used to the Trace sound, then a mate of mine bought an SWR which then made the Trace sound dull! Went SWR!!! Subsequently, I heard an EBS rig which made the SWR sound old hat, (went EBS!) then Markbass came along which has, for me (note that!) given me the closest thing in terms of the sound I'd always searched for. I've tried other high end gear which is comparable in tone terms but there's something about the Mark stuff which just does it for me.

Having suffered a major ear op this year, it does make you realise how delicate your hearing is and that everyone's hearing will be different - the clean, pure sound of the Mark gear does help me now that I'm much more aware of the effects of volume can have on one's hearing (even though my ear problem was nothing to do with high pressure levels, so my consultant says) - I find the onstage volume can be much lower without any compromise on clarity.[/quote]

That makes me even happier that Im picking up a new Markbass soon. Really looking forward to my guitarists looking amazed at its size!

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='496598' date='May 24 2009, 01:56 PM']Hi Frank!

Having suffered a major ear op this year, it does make you realise how delicate your hearing is and that everyone's hearing will be different - the clean, pure sound of the Mark gear does help me now that I'm much more aware of the effects of volume can have on one's hearing (even though my ear problem was nothing to do with high pressure levels, so my consultant says) - I find the onstage volume can be much lower without any compromise on clarity.[/quote]

LOL!
In my case it was from Markbass to Trace Elliot. :)
Although I DO love the SD800 head...but the cabs don't do it for me.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='498379' date='May 26 2009, 11:17 PM']Ah!

Leicester-boy! My old stompin' ground!

Not too far away from The Master! (moi!) X[/quote]

LOL, peterborough...land of the flat. :)
If your ever in Leicester check "Quad Studio's"...things have changed since the days of the crappy rehearsal rooms with floorboards you could fall through...(did someone say "Stayfree"?)
You'll know when your near as my Trace will be causing an earthquake and you'll smell Markbass a mile away...Every room has em now I think (markbass)...

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' post='498442' date='May 27 2009, 12:53 AM']LOL, peterborough...land of the flat. :)
If your ever in Leicester check "Quad Studio's"...things have changed since the days of the crappy rehearsal rooms with floorboards you could fall through...(did someone say "Stayfree"?)
You'll know when your near as my Trace will be causing an earthquake and you'll smell Markbass a mile away...Every room has em now I think (markbass)...[/quote]

I have used Quad in the past - it might have been me that influenced the guy to go Markbass!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='498894' date='May 27 2009, 03:38 PM']I have used Quad in the past - it might have been me that influenced the guy to go Markbass![/quote]

Good news...Bob is a great guy with a vision for giving muso's what they deserve, a good place to chill and rehearse...Not a dive!
I go with one member an hour early and chill in the Foyer...I will do so today and and tomorrow. :)
It's great...and the rehearsal rooms have plush carpets / rugs and sofas and stuff...it's great!

[quote name='Kongo' post='499085' date='May 27 2009, 05:38 PM']Good news...Bob is a great guy with a vision for giving muso's what they deserve, a good place to chill and rehearse...Not a dive!
I go with one member an hour early and chill in the Foyer...I will do so today and and tomorrow. :)
It's great...and the rehearsal rooms have plush carpets / rugs and sofas and stuff...it's great![/quote]

Glad to hear Quad is doing ok - I had a rehearsal with a Rush tribute band there about 18months ago and I was impressed. Bob liked the sound of the amp rig and was impressed by the lightweight nature, so perhaps I kind of sold MB to him!

I spent a lot of time at Quad doing some session work a few years ago, great place. Im a Leicester lad too, all my life till i moved to Cheltenham just under two years ago.
They say true Leicester folk navigate by telling you which Bruccianis things are near lol!

Oh and i use a full Mark bass rig downsized from a Trace UBER stack too!

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='499127' date='May 27 2009, 06:20 PM']Glad to hear Quad is doing ok - I had a rehearsal with a Rush tribute band there about 18months ago and I was impressed. Bob liked the sound of the amp rig and was impressed by the lightweight nature, so perhaps I kind of sold MB to him![/quote]

LOL! All you hear at Quad is covers bands in the Foyer so that sounds about right. :)
They still have some naff amps...although they changed one after I constantly complained about it...I mean come on!
They put an Ampeg SVT head on top of 2 PA (yes PA) 18" speakers...all I got was no EQ response and just a load of mud...nasal mids too!
But they gone now...although one of those speakers is now under a Warwick Ned Pro and I must say, coupled with an cab that can do clarity they do work...just not 2 on thier own!

Now there are 2 Markbass SD800 heads and one 15" can and one 4x10" cab...but that 4x10" scares me as the speakers look like they are gonna launch out at any minute!
Yet exactly the same settings with my Trace...Meh, the speakers want MORE! :lol:

ANother guy that works there, Rob, he used to study at the same music college and we got some feedback from him yesterday so they are very in with the bands when you become regular. Shot some pool too. :rolleyes:

[quote name='gafbass02' post='499145' date='May 27 2009, 06:38 PM']I spent a lot of time at Quad doing some session work a few years ago, great place. Im a Leicester lad too, all my life till i moved to Cheltenham just under two years ago.
They say true Leicester folk navigate by telling you Bruccianis things are near lol!

Oh and i use a full Mark bass rig downsized from a Trace UBER stack too![/quote]

Ah another "Chizzit"! :D
*sigh* well I'm cak to using my first head, a Laney RB9 and I must say...it doesn't cut what the Markbass did...I DO love the heads, just not the cabs.
I MAY and I say MAY yet mate my Trace cab / cabs (another one soon) with a Markbass SD800 but they cost a bomb!
Still, I DID get my perfect tone with it but then again, I also get great tone with Trace too...

Edited by Kongo

In reply to the OP: I used an LMK for a couple of years with a variety of basses. I went for the LMK based on its' power, portability and how it let the nuances of different basses shine through. It was a great amp with my vintage Precision and it sounded just as great with my Streamer Stage 1. I think that's testament enough to how flexible this amp can be! :)