Why become a member? ×

Trading basses with shipping

I'm currently talking to a chap to trade basses. However: he lives abroad. In the EU, but still, abroad. I have bought basses from abroad of course, that's easy: bass is shipped when money has arrived. But how to do that when trading basses? It feels a bit like a game of chicken... Anyone with experiences here?

1 hour ago, BassAgent said:

I'm currently talking to a chap to trade basses. However: he lives abroad. In the EU, but still, abroad. I have bought basses from abroad of course, that's easy: bass is shipped when money has arrived. But how to do that when trading basses? It feels a bit like a game of chicken... Anyone with experiences here?

Do it as two purchases of equal value?

• Like 1

On 04/05/2024 at 09:49, Steve Browning said:

And you'll need to use the true value for your Customs documents. 

Not within the EU both ways.

That said, I once flew Amsterdam -London and back for a closed-wallet swap of basses. Wasn't much more costly than shipping both ways and much more secure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bolo said:

That said, I once flew Amsterdam -London and back for a closed-wallet swap of basses. Wasn't much more costly than shipping both ways and much more secure.

Yep this is the best way and most cost effective. The only other way is I use my courier who cover Europe and he makes sure all is well with a FaceTime call when he swaps the basses over. Sending and hoping the other party is as honest as you are is far too much of a risk. I would want lots of communication and chats/background shopping to make 100% sure but even then I think I would choose to fly it over.

7 hours ago, Bolo said:

Indeed, but this appears not to be. 

7 hours ago, Bolo said:

I was thinking this too. The deal didn't go through unfortunately, but I was considering meeting halfway, which was cheaper than using a courier. 

Sadly since Brexit, you can't simply send and/or receive a bass and claim it is swapped/free!  You will need to pay tax on its true market value; whether you can then go about claiming back the tax is another matter (I simply ceased considering a swap when I established this).

• Like 2

Amongst many things, Brexit has totally f#£_&d the cross Europe trade in 2nd hand instruments.

Really dumb as the UK govt were not forced to charge vat on imported 2nd hand goods, they just decided to do so for extra revenue..

Hand carrying a personal possession tho, you are unlikely to get questioned ... best leave the country with one bass and return with another.  Ferry ports less intrusive than airports btw ( especially if the bass stays in your car ). 😉 

• Like 2

Feel free to ship me any cool kit here in Dublin. You can pick it up at your leisure...

No cabs!

Ive flown over before to pickup pedals. I've a buddy in bristol. Flight cheaper than shipping/insurance.