Why become a member? ×

5 stings in metal

The guy in Mudvayne generally plays a five string Warwick. Some of the basslines are technically exceptional however you have to listen to Mudvayne songs in order to hear them. 

The current bassist in Baroness uses a five string, though I'm not sure I would call them 'metal' at this point as much as I like them.

Edited by thodrik

17 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

There's not much I can think of where a downtuned 4 won't suffice. Of the stuff I've seen a lot of 5 players playing, that G string doesn't exactly take a thrashing. However, good stuff to play along to tuned down low...

Celtic Frost - Monothiest > beautiful and aggressive without disappearing up its own arse, in terms of technicality

Mindfunk - Dropped > You might like this whole album, ahead it its time when it comes to low grooving, good use of lower register stuff without dwelling on one low note all the time

Living Colour - Stain > When Wimbish uses a 5 it's for a good reason, any of their albums with him would do

Morbid Angel - Covenant > features a few tunes down in B that are a challenge to play

My first band used to cover a Mindfunk tune, haven't heard of them for ages 👍

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, thodrik said:

The guy in Mudvayne generally plays a five string Warwick. Some of the basslines are technically exceptional however you have to listen to Mudvayne songs in order to hear them. 

An oddly tuned 5 (F# B F# B E). That'd certainly be classed under technically challenging! Ryan Martinie is an amazing player.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 13:09, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Being pedantic, I seem to recall the bass in SYL being tuned down like the guitars - so, the E is tuned down to the C, then the B is dropped to some unearthly frequency.

There are some songs on Alien where you can make out the subsonic rumblings.

This is similar to how I tuned my 5 string when I was touring with a metal band... we were a semi tone lower, my E string was a B and the B string became an F# (F#, B, F#, B, E). When I used the lowest string below 5th fret I usually doubled up with the octave above so the note had a bit of clarity whilst also causing the crowd to empty their bowels. 

• Haha 4

Hats off to all of you who play this fiendishly difficult stuff in odd tunings! Can’t get my head around it. Been ages since I’ve had some metal in my life… I’m going to have a good listen to some of this stuff whilst I’m doing my cleaning tomorrow 🤣🤘🏻

I was playing G# D# G# C# F# in my band but i'm going to give A# D# G# C# F# a shot instead.

Just because I have no idea how my new bass (34 inch scale) would handle G#. I do however have a 34 inch scale 160 (or 165) string set from Newtone if anyone needs.. Unlikely to need it now!

• Like 1

I've found my challenge for now. Mother Sky by Twelve Foot Ninja 

I come across this while looking up Strapping Young Lad songs as recommended by @BreadBin

Sometimes youtubes recommendations hit the spot.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I've found my challenge for now. Mother Sky by Twelve Foot Ninja 

I come across this while looking up Strapping Young Lad songs as recommended by @BreadBin

Sometimes youtubes recommendations hit the spot.

Loved this, never heard the band before, will be checking out more of their music :) 

John 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

This track is vaguely reminiscent of Faith No More, with a bit of The Stranglers (Peaches) thrown in.

Pretty good,  though. 

Definitely some FNM in there.

The quiet, jazzy breaks in between heaviness is very FNM

Edited by SteveXFR

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

Definitely some FNM in there.

The quiet, jazzy breaks in between heaviness is very FNM

The singer has heard a bit of Patton along the way I reckon. I'm really into his style, singing along in the car for years has improved my voice considerably 

• Like 1