Why become a member? ×

Struggling with picking a new bass (5-6 string)

DaLi

As it says in the title I'm currently struggling to decide on what I want in a new bass. I've been looking at more modern style active basses and have narrowed it down to 3 (4 that is a bit of a stretch £ wise):

Ibanez SR305 
Ibanez SR306
Jackson JS3V
Ibanez Bass Workshop SRFF806 (this is 200 more than the other 3 so is very much a stretch)

I'm looking to get into chordal and soloing style playing so would be stringing the 5's with a high C. I've found a steal on the SR305 but I'm wondering if I'm giving up much over the Jackson with the active/passive and coil split functions or the 6's with keeping the low B and still getting the high C I'm looking for.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Or advice for someone wanting to get into high C or 6 string bass? 

• Like 1

You might consider string spacing as well, which indirectly influence on the width of the fretboard.

I briefly owned an Ibanez SR306, that i tuned low D, as in 2 half steps bellow regular 4 string bass E standard tuning, to high D#, and for the money it's an amazing bass, but, combined with the fact of being used to play short scale bass, I just couldn't get along with the wide fretboard, despite string spacing only being 16.5mm.

I can't possibly tell you whether you need a low B or low E will be all you need, but if I was you, which I wasn't last I checked, I'd go for a 5 string with 16.5mm string spacing, and preferably medium or short scale (though I realize that doesn't leave many options).

My current main instrument of choice is a just 28.6" scale 5 string Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro Bass, tuned to G standard tuning, as in 3 half steps above the upper 5 strings of a 6 string bass tuned in regular B standard tuning.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Thanks for your reply :) 

Yeah I currently have a bass with 16.5mm string spacing and one with 19mm. I definitely feel more comfortable on the 16.5 neck. I think the Jackson is the only one that isn't 16.5mm but it's only 17mm which I can't imagine would feel that much more different. The only thing that puts me off the Jackson is that it's 35" scale so I'm worried if I put a high C on it it could sound very thin.

I hadn't considered short scale 5's in B standard wouldn't it be quite floppy and muddy? 

If you're not sure i would recommend investing in a cheap second hand bass/basses to figure out your preferences.

Edit, also if you want to do more chordal playing, 35" will make it harder, depending on how large your hands are.

24 frets probably better for that upper range, and a 19mm string spacing also would be a physical push. Sounds like youre happy with narrow spacing. and also perhaps avoid multi scale basses too.

I think a used fretted ibanez gwb35 would be a good bet you you can find one.

Edited by Gwilym

I once picked up an Ibanez Gerald Veasley for a quick play in a shop, it’s a 6 string with rather tight string spacing, as I remember and might fit your requirements if you can pick one up used.

Thanks Paul! 

yes these Ibanez headless are the most comfortable 5 strings you could get. Only selling this as I have 2. 

This has had a set up recently and the action is very low, very simple to play and I would imagine would suit E-C perfectly.

16 hours ago, Gwilym said:

If you're not sure i would recommend investing in a cheap second hand bass/basses to figure out your preferences.

Edit, also if you want to do more chordal playing, 35" will make it harder, depending on how large your hands are.

24 frets probably better for that upper range, and a 19mm string spacing also would be a physical push. Sounds like youre happy with narrow spacing. and also perhaps avoid multi scale basses too.

I think a used fretted ibanez gwb35 would be a good bet you you can find one.

Thanks for your reply :) yeah unfortunately my palm:finger ratio is more palm favoured haha. Could I ask why 35 would make chordal playing harder? Would the upper frets be spaced wider? 

I have seen a used fretted GW online somewhere but it was out of my price range :/ 

That EHB does look very nice! Had them on my radar for a while, since I saw bullythakid review one on YouTube. Maybe if I could shift my LTD les Paul I could look at that 

If you are looking into chordal and solo style playing I would wait a couple months until Schecter brings out the five string version of their Charles Berthoud signature bass ( https://www.schecterguitars.com/product/17232 ). As he is probably the most talented bass soloist alive at the moment I imagine the spec will work just fine, and he has mentioned in a number of videos that five, and maybe even six, string versions are on their way.

If they are too expensive looking for something of similar spec (in terms of string spacing, pickups & neck dimensions) might be a good place to start.

21 hours ago, DaLi said:

I hadn't considered short scale 5's in B standard wouldn't it be quite floppy and muddy? 

Not if you plan to tune it E to C, and the upper strings, in my opinion, would sound better, and it'll be much easier to do melody and especially chord work on.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 06/04/2024 at 01:15, DaLi said:

Ibanez SR305 
Ibanez SR306

Do you want a 5 or a 6?

I'd be happy with either of them as I have SRs in 5 and 6 string as well as a BTB 6er and a Cort A6. All are the same 16.5mm string spacing and 34" except the BTB which is 33, so they all play sort of similarly.

You could pick up a mint SR 5 or 6 from a higher model range within your budget if you're happy to try S/H: I got my SR655 a while back basically new for about 200 quid. I have a 370 and 375 and they're fine, but the 655 is a step above and cost less than either did new.

On 05/04/2024 at 15:15, DaLi said:

As it says in the title I'm currently struggling to decide on what I want in a new bass. I've been looking at more modern style active basses and have narrowed it down to 3 (4 that is a bit of a stretch £ wise):

Ibanez SR305 
Ibanez SR306
Jackson JS3V
Ibanez Bass Workshop SRFF806 (this is 200 more than the other 3 so is very much a stretch)

I'm looking to get into chordal and soloing style playing so would be stringing the 5's with a high C. I've found a steal on the SR305 but I'm wondering if I'm giving up much over the Jackson with the active/passive and coil split functions or the 6's with keeping the low B and still getting the high C I'm looking for.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Or advice for someone wanting to get into high C or 6 string bass? 

There’s a great value white aria 5 in marketplace right now. 

not mine btw 

20 hours ago, SimonK said:

If you are looking into chordal and solo style playing I would wait a couple months until Schecter brings out the five string version of their Charles Berthoud signature bass ( https://www.schecterguitars.com/product/17232 ). As he is probably the most talented bass soloist alive at the moment I imagine the spec will work just fine, and he has mentioned in a number of videos that five, and maybe even six, string versions are on their way.

If they are too expensive looking for something of similar spec (in terms of string spacing, pickups & neck dimensions) might be a good place to start.

Thanks for the headsup on the Schecter! Hadn't looked at them when I was looking around

6 hours ago, crazycloud said:

Do you want a 5 or a 6?

I'd be happy with either of them as I have SRs in 5 and 6 string as well as a BTB 6er and a Cort A6. All are the same 16.5mm string spacing and 34" except the BTB which is 33, so they all play sort of similarly.

You could pick up a mint SR 5 or 6 from a higher model range within your budget if you're happy to try S/H: I got my SR655 a while back basically new for about 200 quid. I have a 370 and 375 and they're fine, but the 655 is a step above and cost less than either did new.

I think that's part of the problem is I'm not sure if I want a 5 or a 6. I have a 5 string currently, a HB with a very similar neck to an Ibanez 5 (and a broken active circuit). So I thought if i had another 5 E-C then I can keep both a low B and high C but then if I just got a 6 instead I would have the best of both on one instrument (that works)
I have seen a Cort C5 in CC I know it's slightly different to the A series, not neck-thru, hipshot hardware etc. But the C5  had the Bartolini MK1's which I like from the sr505 and a decently preamp. How do you find your A6?
I also realised I didn't actually state my budget in the original post but all the ones I listed were between £260-£350 apart from the 806 but that is at a retailer that does 6 months interest free finance so I could just about stretch the extra 2 bills

As you intend to use it mainly for chordal and upper register work, you wouldn't have any disadvantage from a 6 - if the lower strings were more important then a 6 would mean an additional stretch to them but this doesn't seem to be the case from what you say.

Also worth looking at second-hand is the Peavey Grind BXP - https://assets.peavey.com/literature/specs/116715_35545.pdf

23 hours ago, DaLi said:

I think that's part of the problem is I'm not sure if I want a 5 or a 6. I have a 5 string currently, a HB with a very similar neck to an Ibanez 5 (and a broken active circuit). So I thought if i had another 5 E-C then I can keep both a low B and high C but then if I just got a 6 instead I would have the best of both on one instrument (that works)
I have seen a Cort C5 in CC I know it's slightly different to the A series, not neck-thru, hipshot hardware etc. But the C5  had the Bartolini MK1's which I like from the sr505 and a decently preamp. How do you find your A6?
I also realised I didn't actually state my budget in the original post but all the ones I listed were between £260-£350 apart from the 806 but that is at a retailer that does 6 months interest free finance so I could just about stretch the extra 2 bills

more thoughts from a sample size of 1 (me), I found transitioning to a 5 string fairly easy, but found trying to navigate a 6th string was a much bigger deal for all sorts of reasons which would have required me putting in a load more work in to adjust my playing technique to get the best out of it, which I wasn't prepared to do. Especially annoying because the 6er I had briefly was a very lovely instrument (MTD 635)

So, a cheap 5er strung E to C is IMO a good starting point for your experiment. Also, if you decided to move it on for whatever reason, I think a 5er would be easier to sell/trade than a 6er.

Just an update on this after a lot of shopping around and hmm-ing and haa-ing I finally settled on an Ibanez SR655e second hand! I found somewhere where I could test some of the Ibby necks (thought they didn't have that exact model in) and I'm sure I've made the right choice! Now I just have to wait patiently for it to arrive! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DaLi said:

Just an update on this after a lot of shopping around and hmm-ing and haa-ing I finally settled on an Ibanez SR655e second hand! I found somewhere where I could test some of the Ibby necks (thought they didn't have that exact model in) and I'm sure I've made the right choice! Now I just have to wait patiently for it to arrive! 

Good choice, not that I'm biased at all. Mine is getting some new SS strings this week.

Is yours the burst or the dark version?

I hope you love it. You also need to do a NBD thread when you get it so others can live vicariously through your new instrument.

Edited by crazycloud
  • Like 1