Why become a member? ×

Shipping a bass from Japan

Hi,

I'm in Japan on a long business trip, and i've "accidentally" bought a lovely old MIJ bass that I want to take back to the UK with me. I've managed to get an old hard case for it, but it is not the original one and the fit is ok. Unfortuantely it is a neck-through construction bass,otherwise i would have detached the eck and made my life simpler...

I think I have two options, really:

* take it with me on the flight back, pay the excess baggage charge, and hope it is handled sufficiently delicately in transit

* send it over as a parcel before i go back

Does anyone have any recommendation for shipping services they've used from Japan? I'm looking at good old Japan Post and Yamato Transport right now.

Cheers,

Marco

Everything I bought from Japan came via Japanpost EMS and their service was always excellent, usually took exactly a week to arrive. Bubblewrap the bass in the case, get a box from a shop and post, I say. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Everything I bought from Japan came via Japanpost EMS and their service was always excellent, usually took exactly a week to arrive.

^^^^ this has been my experience on several occasions as well.

48 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

Be aware of import duty, and VAT is on the purchase price plus shipping plus duty. 

This. Puts around 25% on the purchase price of the instrument.

If I was you I'd pad out the old case and bring it back on the plane and saunter nonchalantly through 'Nothing To Declare' at Heathrow.

Not that I'm encouraging tax avoidance, of course.

• Like 2

On 26/03/2024 at 17:14, BigRedX said:

IME it's only worth buying from abroad if the item in question is something that has no official UK importer/distributor.

It's a 1978 copy of a well know and very litigious american make. No distributors of that have been around for a long time :)

I think i will leave it here with a friend until my next visit. Hopefully next time i will have less luggage and will manage to put it on the plane.