Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky Metro Express BARGAINS at Thomann!

carlsim

2 hours ago, velvetkevorkian said:

I upgraded my pj5 fretless with the higher spec pickups and frankly I might as well not have bothered, the difference in noise was almost imperceptible to my ear. (Fortunately I didn't pay £250 for them 😅)

I think the stock pups are pretty good, I gather the stock pre is a bit meh which is why people stick in a proper Sadowsky one or the East.

• 4 weeks later...

Very chuffed with my second 1st Gen ME recently purchased from Thomann, can't believe it at only £349. It is also much lighter than a Sire in the same price range and the quality on this one is truly excellent, quiet electrics, a nice set up will low buzz free action, great fret work and a beautiful neck. Really happy with my decal job too :D

IMG_7012.thumb.JPG.acca4d31c86223d2a70b9b8eaa5cf544.JPGIMG_7013.thumb.JPG.e8f6ff668cafa07bbc10809a99fd580d.JPG

• Like 8

I'm happy with mine as well.Hesitated a lot while there is a lot negative comments about this basses, but tried my luck and on the end good result.Nothing bad on her, electronics,neck fretwork,even action is really good from factory,weight is 3756gr, only needed tuning and plug and play.I think nothing is cheap on this guitar except the price i paid.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, carlsim said:

Received my CAR 5 string a few weeks ago and only just had the chance to do the decal change and also put a carbon vinyl wrap on the scratchplate as the plain white was booooring!sadred1.thumb.jpg.3b1366255627a711870c1fba40895a6b.jpgsadred2.thumb.jpg.0e31e986099f09f9076b2a157ff4c7a8.jpgsadred.thumb.jpg.b62180d25d99a0943a454d9a01319128.jpg

Looks stunning, love the wrap too. What’s the weight like on the 5’s ? 

19 hours ago, carlsim said:

Received my CAR 5 string a few weeks ago and only just had the chance to do the decal change and also put a carbon vinyl wrap on the scratchplate as the plain white was booooring!sadred1.thumb.jpg.3b1366255627a711870c1fba40895a6b.jpgsadred2.thumb.jpg.0e31e986099f09f9076b2a157ff4c7a8.jpgsadred.thumb.jpg.b62180d25d99a0943a454d9a01319128.jpg

Looks great.

The string spacing at the bridge is pretty wack though.

To me it looks something like 15mm - 18mm - 17mm - 16mm, from low B to high G string.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

6 hours ago, mattpbass said:

Looks great but please pop the E string back into the bridge saddle, that extra wide gap is making my OCD hurt. 😅

Yep, spotted this about 2 seconds after I posted the images! All sorted now...

4 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Looks great.

The string spacing at the bridge is pretty wack though.

To me it looks something like 15mm - 18mm - 17mm - 16mm, from low B to high G string.

It's not at all, the E string wasn't in the saddle correctly - all fixed now. It's a great bass for the cash - would be hard pressed to find something this good for £350 new.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, martthebass said:

For those of you who’ve changed the decal, how easy was it? Can someone give me the lowdown on how they did it before I attack mine? Maybe PM to avoid thread derailment.

I made a thread about this - it isn't totally detailed about the process but should cover most of what you need:

Basically,

sand the headstock (make sure the sanding is nice and even)

apply a few dust coats of your chosen finish (I used a matt finish poly which I buffed to a satin finish...)

wet sand a little and apply the decal

lay on some dust coats to seal the decal and then you can apply a few more heavier coats to level out.

I then wet sanded with 1200 W&D and buffed to a sheen. reassemble.

i couldn't get around not having a very fine outline of the decal showing (you can see it in certain light and angles) but I can live with that.

Hope this helps.

Carl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How does one get a Sadowsky decal? Sorry if I'm being stupid. 

Thanks. 

I'm  really tempted by one of the green MO 4 string PJs.

Reviews are mixed though? I've seen it said that they don't 'stay' set up for long and need frequent tweaks? Any truth to this? 

1 hour ago, carlsim said:

I made a thread about this - it isn't totally detailed about the process but should cover most of what you need:

Basically,

sand the headstock (make sure the sanding is nice and even)

apply a few dust coats of your chosen finish (I used a matt finish poly which I buffed to a satin finish...)

wet sand a little and apply the decal

lay on some dust coats to seal the decal and then you can apply a few more heavier coats to level out.

I then wet sanded with 1200 W&D and buffed to a sheen. reassemble.

i couldn't get around not having a very fine outline of the decal showing (you can see it in certain light and angles) but I can live with that.

Hope this helps.

Carl

Edited by ProjeKtWEREWOLF

The sadowsky metro express basses have a SME or SMX serial on the rear of the headstock… metrolines and other sadowsky basses have simpler serials on the rear… would be quite obvious from the serial on the rear… plus it isn’t just printed, it seems to be embedded into the wood… I don’t have a picture at hand but can post one.

3 hours ago, ProjeKtWEREWOLF said:

So are these things worth the money? Should I just buy a Cort C4/B4 or a Sire V5? 

I need a cheap backup bass for a covers band I'm playing in. Current using a Westone Thunder 1A (with Aguilar preamp). It's comfy but a bit nasal 😂.  I don't usually play 4 strings. 

Can’t comment on the Cort/Sire but I’d put the quality of my late gen1 up with Mex Fender player. However I don’t have the stock pre in mine so I don’t know how good/bad this is. But, build wise at <£400 it’s a bargain.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 20:06, carlsim said:

The sadowsky metro express basses have a SME or SMX serial on the rear of the headstock… metrolines and other sadowsky basses have simpler serials on the rear… would be quite obvious from the serial on the rear… plus it isn’t just printed, it seems to be embedded into the wood… I don’t have a picture at hand but can post one.

Yep, the first gen Chinese MetroExpress basses have serial numbers starting SME, the newer ones with the roasted necks, etc. start SMX.