Why become a member? ×

Music Man Bongo Bass £65 on FB

Shylock

So there is the same photo of a black Music Man Bongo bass guitar and case being sold for £65, which you may have seen, by at least four different dodgy profile sellers (and different additional ones appear each night)  in at least four different locations around the UK and so I reported all four adverts to FB, as they take scams seriously, at the same time and guess what? This is what the said!

"Thanks again for your report. This information helps us reduce unwanted content for you and others.

We use a combination of technology and human reviewers to process reports and identify content that goes against our Community Standards. In this case, we did not remove the content that you reported"

Beggars belief! A Music Man Bongo Bass for £65!😂

I do sell things on Facebook, but I try to be as reassuring as possible. Even WhatsApp video called with a potential buyer to demo an amp recently. 
Right now, there’s a cab on Facebook I would like to buy, the seller is responsive, but wants me to arrange the courier, but also can’t yet tell me the dimensions or weight. It’s not on Basschat either. I don’t know if it’s worth the worry. 
Rob

7 hours ago, Shylock said:

So there is the same photo of a black Music Man Bongo bass guitar and case being sold for £65, which you may have seen, by at least four different dodgy profile sellers (and different additional ones appear each night)  in at least four different locations around the UK and so I reported all four adverts to FB, as they take scams seriously, at the same time and guess what? This is what the said!

"Thanks again for your report. This information helps us reduce unwanted content for you and others.

We use a combination of technology and human reviewers to process reports and identify content that goes against our Community Standards. In this case, we did not remove the content that you reported"

Beggars belief! A Music Man Bongo Bass for £65!😂

Standard fb response to a complaint that they can't be bothered to act upon.🙄 

57 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I do sell things on Facebook, but I try to be as reassuring as possible. Even WhatsApp video called with a potential buyer to demo an amp recently. 
Right now, there’s a cab on Facebook I would like to buy, the seller is responsive, but wants me to arrange the courier, but also can’t yet tell me the dimensions or weight. It’s not on Basschat either. I don’t know if it’s worth the worry. 
Rob

If they can't tell you the dimensions/weight then they either don't have it, or they don't want to sell it at distance.  Also, you think this muppet will package it well if they can't even use a measuring tape?  Walk away.

• Like 3

To be honest the FB reporting system is a joke.  On the local market place I see 2 or 3 times a week ads for selling counterfeit bank notes; I reported twice and was informed that the ads didn't contravene their standards......awesome.

1 minute ago, martthebass said:

To be honest the FB reporting system is a joke.  On the local market place I see 2 or 3 times a week ads for selling counterfeit bank notes; I reported twice and was informed that the ads didn't contravene their standards......awesome.

Wait... they have standards?

• Haha 4

I like that BC acts as a standard. If someone is prepared to pay for a listing here, then the same item on another platform immediately has credibility. I've seen people list items and include a link to the BC advert too. Same thing to a lesser extent if there's a listing on Reverb/eBay although for those you don't pay upfront, so not quite as safe...

• Like 1

Facebook is also bad as a seller.

In quite a few years selling on BC I have never had a bad transaction or dealt with time wasters. I've only declined one sale that seemed a bit fishy (someone with a new account asking me to post to a PO box).

.... Facebook on the other hand - trying to sell a keyboard lately really had me losing faith in humanity! I had about 10 obvious scam attempts, and about the same amount of time wasters, and so many of these:

Screenshot_20240201-093559.thumb.png.9e590713f678c4d1776ea61b9eca0e05.png

• Haha 7

Hmm, perhaps I was lucky.  I sold a car last year on FB and had all the extremes - one overpayment scam attempt, one tyre kicker, one ghost, then one genuine buyer who didn't even haggle, paid the advertised price and bought the car.

Edited by neepheid

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Wait... they have standards?

I think the problem is that the Facebook reviewers team spend their days looking at and removing some absolutely horrific and criminal stuff of the very worst kind. Someone trying to rip off the gullible for £65 really won't be on their list. Sadly, there are far worse things going on in the world.

3 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I think the problem is that the Facebook reviewers team spend their days looking at and removing some absolutely horrific and criminal stuff of the very worst kind. Someone trying to rip off the gullible for £65 really won't be on their list. Sadly, there are far worse things going on in the world.

Appreciated, but does your facetiousness detector require recalibration? ;)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Little Dragon said:

I have seen the same ad, photos etc., same price, listed as being in Manchester, Stockton and Alnwick. Obviously it's a scam just not sure how the scam works.

No I cant work it out either. I did reply to one saying " Is this available for £65?" but got no response. I did wonder if it was a way to build up data of those interested in Bass Guitars or possibly to identify profiles to clone.  

45 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

To lose one string is unfortunate.

To lose two strings is carelessness. 

And as for winding one on backwards, and managing to snap strings from a 130 set ....

And a 130 on a 4-string?