Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4005V

AndyTravis

Just seen this on Fezbok. 

One of, if not the, sexiest bass ever made! 

The last 4005, the Shaftesbury faker, was getting on for £5k wasn't it? 

I'm guessing these will be similar. 

I'm more than happy with the HW in my avatar. Genuinely can't see the Rick being any better. 

• Like 2

24 years ago…

I saw this bass in a video - blew my head off as an emerging manc bass player.

”NOEL’S PLAYING A RICKY BASS! WTF is it?!”

Always thought it was a bit of a dig that the first post-Guigsy oasis tune had a really prominent bass part.

IMG_7570.jpeg

IMG_7571.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Fantastic! Doubtless far beyond affordable, but it's wonderful to see them back. Why they didn't do this instead of the Mickey Mouse 4005 in the first place is beyond me but they got there in the end!

Dear old JH always swore he'd never reissue these 😄

If it’s £6500 I wouldn’t be surprised…

17 minutes ago, Maude said:

I'm more than happy with the HW in my avatar. Genuinely can't see the Rick being any better. 

I was thinking that would be the best way if one wanted to avoid remortgaging to afford it!

Fabulous looking basses, would definitely love one, but more than likely they'll be way, way, way, way out of my price range. Never thought that they would reissue them, but it's great that they have.

Remember trying a white one in a shop in the late 80's/early 90's, IIRC, it wasn't that expensive, but again, more than I could afford at the time.

• Like 1

Close, but the headstock doesn't look quite right without the original's fat walnut stripe. They seem to have gone for the thin skunk stripe of the 4003 for some reason. 

(The original headstock was my favourite thing about the 4005).

1967-rickenbacker-4005-bass-mapleglo-nXn2xvd.jpg

1967-rickenbacker-4005-bass-mapleglo-rShgsI6.jpg

Edited by miles'tone

18 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

24 years ago…

Always thought it was a bit of a dig that the first post-Guigsy oasis tune had a really prominent bass part.

IMG_7570.jpeg

IMG_7571.jpeg

I used to actually sit through this Oasis video when it came on the telly, just to see that bass. No idea if it's the one we're hearing, but it's a pretty cool line nonetheless!

6 hours ago, miles'tone said:

Close, but the headstock doesn't look quite right without the original's fat walnut stripe. They seem to have gone for the thin skunk stripe of the 4003 for some reason. 

(The original headstock was my favourite thing about the 4005).

1967-rickenbacker-4005-bass-mapleglo-nXn2xvd.jpg

1967-rickenbacker-4005-bass-mapleglo-rShgsI6.jpg

Humbug!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

That was 2020 @NikNik they seem to do very short runs of finishes etc - their Instagram page is very cool.

https://www.instagram.com/rickenbackerofficial?igsh=MXhieW90eXV4YnI3cg==

And Ben Hall (Hall Jr) has his own profile…

https://www.instagram.com/itsbacknotbach?igsh=Z2M2cGtrcGtrMnpj

IMG_7577.jpeg

I don't do Insta or FB, so I miss these things., sadly. Still, nice to see them on here, and to witness Ben's willingness to reissue older models.

They had what was claimed to be Gary "Mani" Mounfield's Rickenbacker 4005 in Hank's Guitar Shop a few years ago, priced at a *cough* reasonable £12,995 if memory serves. I asked to try it out, since I love a semi-acoustic bass and at the time I owned a Shaftesbury which was supposed to be a clone of the 4005. After a lot of bad tempered huffing and puffing from the staff (standard for most of the shops in London's Tin Pan Alley), they finally considered me worthy of playing said bass. It actually looked like it had been a great instrument at some point, but by then it was in a terrible state with an action you could drive a bus under. The neck was like a Rick 4001 or 4003, very wide and flat, so very much an acquired taste and totally unlike the skinny neck of my Shaftesbury. The sound though, even with pickups way too far from the rusty strings, was very much what I'd want from a semi-acoustic. if RIC under Ben Hall's control are going to be a bit more customer friendly, then I hope they also reissue the 400 series guitars - a six string in the shape of a 4000 series bass, and possibly the only thing that could tempt me to the dark side.

14 minutes ago, chriswareham said:

They had what was claimed to be Gary "Mani" Mounfield's Rickenbacker 4005 in Hank's Guitar Shop a few years ago, priced at a *cough* reasonable £12,995 if memory serves. I asked to try it out, since I love a semi-acoustic bass and at the time I owned a Shaftesbury which was supposed to be a clone of the 4005. After a lot of bad tempered huffing and puffing from the staff (standard for most of the shops in London's Tin Pan Alley), they finally considered me worthy of playing said bass. It actually looked like it had been a great instrument at some point, but by then it was in a terrible state with an action you could drive a bus under. The neck was like a Rick 4001 or 4003, very wide and flat, so very much an acquired taste and totally unlike the skinny neck of my Shaftesbury. The sound though, even with pickups way too far from the rusty strings, was very much what I'd want from a semi-acoustic. if RIC under Ben Hall's control are going to be a bit more customer friendly, then I hope they also reissue the 400 series guitars - a six string in the shape of a 4000 series bass, and possibly the only thing that could tempt me to the dark side.

They’ve been doing them too 

I don't see the attraction in them. Maybe if I ever get one in my hands, but I'm not holding my breath that will ever happen. Needs at least one more string though. Definitely not at $US5k though.

Edited by crazycloud

On 26/02/2024 at 22:25, AndyTravis said:

24 years ago…

IMG_7570.jpeg

IMG_7571.jpeg

Agree, bass far more prominent in the mix and doing a lot more as well. Def a case of band leader guitarist on bass methinks.