Why become a member? ×

The Beatles - 4 Biopics

SteveK

It's been announced that Sam Mendes will direct 4 Beatles biopics, each movie from the viewpoint of each Beatle.
There are few details, other than Mendes has been granted full rights to the story and music. Expected release in 2027, with no aspect of their lives off limits.

As a huge Beatles fan I will look forward to this. It will be interesting to see how Mendes deals with the issue of repetition, as the four of them were in the same Beatles bubble.
How much Paul and Ringo will be involved in the film remains to be seen. Good to know that nothing (allegedly) will be out of bounds, so hopefully, it won't be a sanitised account.

As a massive, lifelong Beatles fan I cannot tell you quite how much I dread yet more necrophiliac equine flagellation.

They were great. Their music is still great. I still listen to it. Now can we please move on?

• Like 3

So, no 'biopics' about Mozart, or Beethoven, or ... Bowie, or Zappa, or ... Ravi Shankar, or Bob Dylan either..? Why is 'more' not just 'more' (as long as viewing is not mandatory; I don't see the issue...)..? :/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ahpook said:

There's no need for more 'Beatles' in the world if you ask me.

It's over.

Initially, I thought, "Oh dear!" when I first heard about it, then it occured to me that there hasn't been anything remotely like an official/endorsed biopic of the moptops.

I usually avoid biopics - unfortunately, I couldn't avoid the Queen flick as my son was a fan. I like the music, but Jeez, I thought Bohemian Rhapsody was awful.

If Queen and Elton are worthy of biopics, then surely, there's no question The Beatles are more than worthy.

8 minutes ago, Cato said:

Just when you think films can't possibly get any longer someone comes along and decides to make 4 full length films on the same subject.

Yeah, as I said in my original post - I think Mendes has got his work cut out if he's going to avoid repetition.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

So, no 'biopics' about Mozart, or Beethoven, or ... Bowie, or Zappa, or ... Ravi Shankar, or Bob Dylan either..? Why is 'more' not just 'more' (as long as viewing is not mandatory; I don't see the issue...)..? :/

Mozart - done once AFAIK and that was nearly 40 years ago. Beethoven - not sure there's been one in my lifetime. Bowie - probably two, maybe three, but one of those was a contemporary documentary anyway.

The Beatles - more than I care to count, on every possible aspect of the band, their music, their history, their influence on contemporary culture, their money, their recording techniques, their choice of footwear, you name it.

If you can't see the issue Douglas, I suspect you're not looking very closely.

55 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Initially, I thought, "Oh dear!" when I first heard about it, then it occured to me that there hasn't been anything remotely like an official/endorsed biopic of the moptops.

I usually avoid biopics - unfortunately, I couldn't avoid the Queen flick as my son was a fan. I like the music, but Jeez, I thought Bohemian Rhapsody was awful.

If Queen and Elton are worthy of biopics, then surely, there's no question The Beatles are more than worthy.

I just don't see what's left to say, I really don't.

I'm not sure of what being worthy of a biopic means to be honest. They're made to make money. They're made if the  subject is saleable. But then I really don't like biopics ;)

Sorry to be so cynical, and go for you life it's your thing. Just no interest here.

Edited by ahpook

42 minutes ago, ahpook said:

I'm not sure of what being worthy of a biopic means to be honest.

Ok, I'm confused by your confusion re: the meaning of worthy  in this context, so...

an example to help explain:

Pete Plastic & the Chuckups, a pre-punk band from Hastings - not even a local, musical or cultural phenomenon. Not worthy of a biopic.

The Beatles a rock n roll, pop, psychedelic etc band from Liverpool - a worldwide musical and cultural phenomenon. Worthy of a biopic.

😉

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Ok, I'm confused by your confusion re: the meaning of worthy  in this context, so...

an example to help explain:

Pete Plastic & the Chuckups, a pre-punk band from Hastings - not even a local, musical or cultural phenomenon. Not worthy of a biopic.

The Beatles a rock n roll, pop, psychedelic etc band from Liverpool - a worldwide musical and cultural phenomenon. Worthy of a biopic.

😉

Thanks for your example.

I understand what you're saying

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Thanks for your example.

I understand what you're saying

Respect to you for taking, with good grace, the tongue in cheek (some might say "sarcastic") nature of my post✌️👍

• Like 1

The idea seems weak to me and a recipe for disaster. For a start, one of them will be the best film, one the worst. Do either of the living Beatles want to be the main man of the worst film? 

For me just make one good film and leave it at that. 

21 hours ago, SteveK said:

It's been announced that Sam Mendes will direct 4 Beatles biopics, each movie from the viewpoint of each Beatle.

15 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Why? He had a life and career before The Beatles, and has done plenty since.

I don't think Mendes is planning to deal with Ringo's time playing with Johnny Storm & The Hurricanes or with Ringo's Allstarrs ... the films will be about The Beatles in their hey-day, as seen (in turn) by each of them.