Why become a member? ×

Wooten has no soul?!!!

Pete Academy

[quote name='jakesbass' post='488181' date='May 14 2009, 09:11 PM']You assume that everyone has read the same threads as you and that there are never any new members, if you accept those two observations you have an answer...[/quote]

Oh, Jake, I wasn't actually talking about those, who [i]start [/i]threads like this, indeed, I'm more about those, who [i]reply [/i]to it.. :) And, usually, it's not the new membs, that do it, as we see..

You got my mind.

[quote name='urb' post='487877' date='May 14 2009, 01:39 PM']Breath in, and breath out, now relax....

M[/quote]

Um I posted this because it's VW playing a gorgeous improvisation of The Beatles' 'Yesterday' - without a slapped note in sight the guy is an amazing musician first and a great bassist second - whether you like ALL of his musical output or not there's no denying the fact that he is one of the most accomplished and complete bassists on the planet.

[b]Virtually every single debate about his playing I have ever seen on the web - and I must have seen DOZENS (if not HUNDREDS) of these kind of threads - always end up in two camps those that like/love what he does and those that don't. Quite frankly I am tired of them too - I've been a fan of Vic's since 1989 - I've met him and [url="http://www.munkio.com/music/victor_wooten.html"]interviewed[/url] him and hung out with him and for a man of such huge ability he remains the most unaffected and down to earth guy around... he could teach us all a thing or two about being humble-assed human beings and not getting above our station on this little planet..[/b].

Anyway I can't be arsed to say any more - I love this guy's playing - not everything he does moves me or excites me - but the biggest lesson you take from him is that he's not afraid to fail - and make mistakes - and that's something we should all get better at, regardless of our ability on the bass or any other instrument for that matter.

Mike

[quote name='Faithless' post='488196' date='May 14 2009, 07:26 PM']Oh, Jake, I wasn't actually talking about those, who [i]start [/i]threads like this, indeed, I'm more about those, who [i]reply [/i]to it.. :) And, usually, it's not the new membs, that do it, as we see..

You got my mind.[/quote]
I see your point, and yes you are quite right.

[quote name='urb' post='488211' date='May 14 2009, 08:02 PM']the guy is an amazing musician first and a great bassist second - whether you like ALL of his musical output or not there's no denying the fact that he is one of the most accomplished and complete bassists on the planet.[/quote]

Unquestionably accurate Mike.

[quote name='urb' post='488211' date='May 14 2009, 08:02 PM']Um I posted this because it's VW playing a gorgeous improvisation of The Beatles' 'Yesterday' - without a slapped note in sight the guy is an amazing musician first and a great bassist second - whether you like ALL of his musical output or not there's no denying the fact that he is one of the most accomplished and complete bassists on the planet.

[b]Virtually every single debate about his playing I have ever seen on the web - and I must have seen DOZENS (if not HUNDREDS) of these kind of threads - always end up in two camps those that like/love what he does and those that don't. Quite frankly I am tired of them too - I've been a fan of Vic's since 1989 - I've met him and [url="http://www.munkio.com/music/victor_wooten.html"]interviewed[/url] him and hung out with him and for a man of such huge ability he remains the most unaffected and down to earth guy around... he could teach us all a thing or two about being humble-assed human beings and not getting above our station on this little planet..[/b].

Anyway I can't be arsed to say any more - I love this guy's playing - not everything he does moves me or excites me - but the biggest lesson you take from him is that he's not afraid to fail - and make mistakes - and that's something we should all get better at, regardless of our ability on the bass or any other instrument for that matter.

Mike[/quote]Brilliant interview Mike.

Groan....can't believe I'm chipping in but.......

Why can't people just live and let live?

You dig an artist, [i]whoever[/i] it is, so you buy and enjoy thier stuff. If you [i]don't[/i] dig said artist, then don't listen to them.

Victor is an outstanding musician, anyone who can't see that is a moron. Some like his style, some don't, who gives a sh*t either way??

[quote name='Rayman' post='488247' date='May 14 2009, 08:48 PM']Groan....can't believe I'm chipping in but.......

Why can't people just live and let live?

You dig an artist, [i]whoever[/i] it is, so you buy and enjoy thier stuff. If you [i]don't[/i] dig said artist, then don't listen to them.

Victor is an outstanding musician, anyone who can't see that is a moron. Some like his style, some don't, who gives a sh*t either way??[/quote]

Amen to that.

Wow this is all a bit extreme isnt it?!?! Ok well my 2p worth then, *nervously clears throat*.... I like Wooten, there I said it! No but seriously I totally understand where some people are coming from with reference to the intense slappity slappity tappity tappity and to be perfectly honest I can totally relate to that too. I love slap and tap don't get me wrong but its one of those techniques where it's very very easy to make it sound like a technical exercise and pretty damn hard to make it actually sound musical. We need to remember that good ol' Vic is a bit of a pioneer on the bass, he likes to go in radically leftfield directions and just explore music just like most of us do. So what you have to remember when he does a clinic or something like that (and he also says it on one of his dvd's) is that he might have stumbled on something new and might be still trying to work out how to make it musical. There's a sort of rake slap technique he does on one of his instructional dvd's where he actually says "I haven't figured out how to use this yet". I personally thought it sounded crap and I think maybe he did too cos I haven't seen him actually use the tecnique since watching the dvd!

With regards to his songwriting I'm a bit 50/50, again I do have all his albums and I do have a lot of the Flecktones stuff too. Some of his stuff really moves me, like for example most of the Palmystry album and some of the stuff I really struggle with but then isn't that true of any artist? I love Michael Jackson but there are some tunes out there that are a bit crap.

With regards to the one trick pony thing are we talking about his technique or his sound? If we go back to Michael Jackson for example, its not like he changes his voice on a different record. He's still Jacko and that's his sound, you can pick him out if he sings 3 notes. Same with some of our favorite bass players such as Jaco, Marcus, Stanley, Vic, Bootsy, Larry etc etc. That's their signiture sound, some people dig it and some hate it but you instantly know who they are after just 3 notes. I think thats something which is really important to remember, can you imagine if someone listening to you knew exactly who you were when you'd played just 3 notes?! That's really inspiring to me.

Ok if I have offended anyone then my sincere apologies, I'm not trying to stir up the pot so to speak!

Peace

Ad

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='487901' date='May 14 2009, 01:57 PM']I’ve seen no evidence of this. His videos are pretty much recorded in exactly the same format that 95% of the other music virtuosos record their videos and post them on youtube; a brief spoken intro followed by a couple of minutes of ridiculous skill but lack of imagination to do anything other than w*** all over the place with it. If you think there’s no one that can match him in his technical ability, then “FFS....open your mind a little?”. I’m obviously not denying the guy’s skill and ability, but of course there are people out there and on this very forum who could give him a run for his money. You’re no different from anyone on here who’s been defending Wooten when you say “I don't think there is anyone to match him in the technical arena” about this guy – that’s exactly the same as someone saying “Wooten cannot be rivalled in terms of his technical ability”. You were telling me to open my mind, but I think you’ve got the blinkers on mate.[/quote]

Yes, open your mind................and please let me know the people in this forum who can give Serino "a run for his money". Maybe a few vids I could watch and learn from?

I just love the hilarious comments we get in here.

Of course, it's all about opinions, and it appears there are a significant number of individuals who get VERY aggressive if someone posts a comment that jars. Believe me, you can just ignore comments and avoid the stress damage while trying to get your point over. Simply PROVE your point. Thanks

[quote name='rslaing' post='488578' date='May 15 2009, 10:00 AM']Yes, open your mind................and please let me know the people in this forum who can give Serino "a run for his money". Maybe a few vids I could watch and learn from?

I just love the hilarious comments we get in here.

Of course, it's all about opinions, and it appears there are a significant number of individuals who get VERY aggressive if someone posts a comment that jars. Believe me, you can just ignore comments and avoid the stress damage while trying to get your point over. Simply PROVE your point. Thanks[/quote]

Pot, Kettle anyone? :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='487444' date='May 13 2009, 11:29 PM']I dispute that. My Missus has the most awesome slap technique. Nearly took a tooth out once. As regards the rest of this indignant little rant, here's a life lesson:

Not everyone likes the same things and wildly slagging people off for showing insufficient respect to one's heroes makes one look a bit silly. Particularly if the endeavour in question is the fairly trivial ability to master a particular bass guitar style; compared, say, to bringing peace to the Middle East, or finding a cure for cancer.[/quote]

Well said, sir. Very well said, in fact.

I've bought Wooten's new book, The Music Lesson I think it's called. Looking forward to it being delivered. Don't like his music at all, but I appreciate his skill and approach to playing and continuous development.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='488677' date='May 15 2009, 11:21 AM']Never trusted horses. Females obsession with them unerves me.[/quote]

But at least horses don't spend their time endlessly banging on about "slapping good, slapping bad". They just eat grass and ponder life.

As regards "unnerving female obsession", that's just your penis-envy thing - [i]again[/i].

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='rslaing' post='487430' date='May 13 2009, 11:17 PM']if you like slap, get a load of this

OUTRAGEOUS, and check his other stuff out too...........makes Wooten look a bit average IMO

[/quote]

You know that thing where a bluebottle goes mad when it's stuck between the two halves of your sash windows on a summer afternoon? This is what it hears in its little bluebottle head. The reason it goes mad is because it can't get away from the sound. I went a bit mad just now because my mouse stopped working for a few seconds and I couldn't turn the f***ing thing off. That was truly one of the most hideous displays of musical instrument operation I have seen. He makes Wooten look as clever as he really is, and the guy's pulse and timing in that vid was all over the place in parts. Outrageous indeed.